Newton's law under Lorentz transformation

In summary: No, they're different. In an inertial frame, ##\rm{D}## is the direction along which the inertial force is acting, and ##\rm{d}## is the direction perpendicular to the force.
davidge
According to this pdf http://www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9783319011066-c2.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-1429331-p175291974 Newton's second law is not invariant under Lorentz transformations. To find out the part that says so, use CTRL+F and type "Newton"; it's the first result that should appear on the search.

This pdf http://www.pa.uky.edu/~kwng/phy361/class/class5.pdf says in page 2 that both Maxwell's and Newton's equations are invariant under Lorentz transformations.

What is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first one is correct. Newton's second law is covariant as it is a vector law that doesn't change its configuration when switching reference frames. Only scalars can be invariant in different frames, vectors can, at best, be covariant.

Likes davidge
This sounds strange, because acceleration is a vector quantity, so between two inertial frames it seems like ##d^2x / dt^2 = d^2 x' / dt'^2##. Knowing that the inertial mass is also invariant between two inertial frames, then Newton's second law should be invariant even under Lorentz transformations...

The very definition of a inertial frame as one in which the Newton's laws holds, should imply the invariance of Newton's equation.

davidge said:
acceleration is a vector quantity

It's a 3-vector, not a 4-vector, at least not the way you're defining it. (There is a way to define a 4-acceleration vector, but you're not using it.)

davidge said:
between two inertial frames it seems like ##d^2x / dt^2 = d^2 x' / dt'^2##.

Instead of just guessing what it "seems like", try actually doing a Lorentz transformation to check.

A Lazy Shisno said:
Newton's second law is covariant as it is a vector law that doesn't change its configuration when switching reference frames

This needs to be stated very carefully. 3-vector laws are not necessarily even covariant. 4-vector laws are, but Newton's second law in its usual form can't be written as a 4-vector law in the general case.

Likes vanhees71
@PeterDonis , how can it be that Newton's laws are invariant between inertial frames if the Newton's equation itself is not invariant?

davidge said:
how can it be that Newton's laws are invariant between inertial frames

Did I say they were? (I assume you mean "invariant under Lorentz transformations".)

PeterDonis said:
Did I say they were?
No. I'm assuming they are, because of the very definition of a inertial frame as one in which Newton's laws are valid.

davidge said:
the very definition of a inertial frame as one in which Newton's laws are valid.

That's not the definition of an inertial frame. The definition of an inertial frame is one in which Newton's first law is valid--i.e., in which an object not subject to any forces moves in a straight line in a constant speed. There is no requirement that Newton's second law has to be valid in an inertial frame--at least not in its usual 3-vector form.

Likes Dale
Ah, ok. But is there a way for the "Laws of nature to be the same in all inertial frames" (Postulate from General Relativity) with the equation of Newton not keeping the same form?

davidge said:
Ah, ok. But is there a way for the "Laws of nature to be the same in all inertial frames" (Postulate from General Relativity) with the equation of Newton not keeping the same form?
Newton's second law expressed in either of the 3-vector forms$$
F^i = m \frac{{\rm d}^2 x^i}{{\rm d}t^2}
$$(if ##m## doesn't change over time), or, more generally,$$
F^i = \frac{\rm d}{{\rm d}t} \left( m \frac{{\rm d}x^i}{{\rm d}t} \right)
$$isn't even correct in relativity, never mind invariant (because relativistic momentum isn't ##m \, {\rm d}x^i / {\rm d}t##). The correct versions are the 4-vector equations$$
F^\alpha = m \frac{{\rm D}^2 x^\alpha}{{\rm d}\tau^2}
$$or$$
F^\alpha = \frac{\rm D}{{\rm d}\tau} \left( m \frac{{\rm d}x^\alpha}{{\rm d}\tau} \right)
$$

Likes vanhees71
@DrGreg Thanks. It's surprising see how it looks the same as the incorrect one. It seems that the only difference is that time is accounted as one of the directions, i.e. the force becomes a Minkowski-four-vector. Did I get this right? Why can't one use this lorentz invariant form in Newton's theory?

davidge said:
Why can't one use this lorentz invariant form in Newton's theory?
If you do, you don't have Newton's theory. In Newton's theory the time coordinate ##x^0## is equal to ##\tau## in all frames - that's what makes it Newtonian instead of relativistic mechanics.

davidge said:
It's surprising see how it looks the same as the incorrect one. It seems that the only difference is that time is accounted as one of the directions, i.e. the force becomes a Minkowski-four-vector. Did I get this right?
There are two other differences: coordinate time ##t## has been replaced by proper time ##\tau## and the coordinate derivative ##\rm{d}## has been replaced by the absolute or invariant derivative (a.k.a. covariant derivative) ##\rm{D}##.

davidge said:
Why can't one use this lorentz invariant form in Newton's theory?
In Newton's theory there is only one time (so ##t = \tau##), and in an inertial frame ##\rm{d}## and ##\rm{D}## are the same.

Likes davidge
Nugatory said:
If you do, you don't have Newton's theory. In Newton's theory the time coordinate ##x^0## is equal to ##\tau## in all frames - that's what makes it Newtonian instead of relativistic mechanics.
I see. But let's say the clock in one frame is off by say, 5, with respect to the clock in the other frame. So ##t' = t+5##. Still this is non relativistic, correct?

davidge said:
I see. But let's say the clock in one frame is off by say, 5, with respect to the clock in the other frame. So ##t' = t+5##. Still this is non relativistic, correct?
Yes. To be more precise, I should have said that in Newtonian theory clocks can only differ by a constant offset, or, to put it another way, there's only one ##{\rm d}t##.

Likes davidge
So to summarize what I learned on this thread,

- A reference frame being inertial means only that the law of inertia holds as pointed out by @PeterDonis
- Newton's equation of motion is not invariant under Lorentz transformations, which means that Newton's second law is not invariant under Lorentz transformations accounting for what @Nugatory said
- To get the correct equation of motion one needs to come up with the equation @DrGreg presented, which is no longer the Newton's equation of motion

But this brings another question: why does the laws of nature which I suppose, should include Newton's second law, are the same in inertial frames if the equation that describes this law, i.e. the corresponding Newton's second law equation doesn't remain invariant?

davidge said:
But this brings another question: why does the laws of nature which I suppose, should include Newton's theory, are the same in inertial frames if the equation that describes this theory, i.e. the corresponding Newton's equation of motion doesn't remain invariant?
Saying that "the laws of nature are the same in all inertial frames" doesn't specify what the "laws of nature" actually are. Newton's 2nd Law as usually expressed is, for low speeds, approximately but not exactly the same as the relativisitically correct law, so it is just a case of reformulating the laws so that they are approximately the same as Newton's at low speeds and low tidal gravity, but which also satisfy the postulates of relativity.

Likes davidge
Ah, ok. So this would be a case that Newton's statement remains correct, but his mathematical description not? I mean, "force causes the velocity of a object to change" remains invariant, but the corresponding second equation must be adjusted?

1. What is the significance of Newton's law under Lorentz transformation?

The significance of Newton's law under Lorentz transformation lies in its ability to accurately describe the laws of motion for objects moving at high speeds, close to the speed of light. This transformation takes into account the effects of time dilation, length contraction, and relativistic mass increase, which are important factors to consider when studying objects moving at high velocities.

2. How does Newton's law change under Lorentz transformation?

Under Lorentz transformation, Newton's law of motion remains the same in its fundamental form, but it is modified to account for the relativistic effects mentioned above. This includes incorporating the concept of four-vectors and using the Lorentz factor in calculations.

3. Can Newton's law be applied to objects moving at the speed of light?

No, Newton's law cannot be applied to objects moving at the speed of light. This is because at the speed of light, the relativistic effects mentioned above become infinite, making it impossible to accurately predict the motion of an object using classical mechanics.

4. What is the difference between Newton's law and Einstein's theory of relativity?

Newton's law of motion is a fundamental principle of classical mechanics, which describes the motion of objects at everyday speeds. On the other hand, Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically the special theory of relativity, provides a more accurate description of the laws of motion at high speeds, near the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of time, space, and mass in relation to an observer's frame of reference.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Newton's law under Lorentz transformation?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of Newton's law under Lorentz transformation, particularly in the field of particle physics and astronomy. For example, the principles of Lorentz transformation are used in the design of particle accelerators, which accelerate particles to near the speed of light. Additionally, the effects of Lorentz transformation must be considered when studying astronomical objects such as stars and galaxies, which can move at high speeds relative to Earth.