Newtons laws clarification question

In summary, the two questions on Newton's Laws in classical mechanics are different, one asking for the laws themselves and the other asking for related theorems.
physics2000

Homework Statement

two questions below in my classical mechanics course (our first homework assignment) and I'm not sure what the questions are actually asking...do they want the equations? descriptions of the laws? names of the laws?

I'm confused because question one and two seem very similar !

1) What are the Newton's laws of motion in Newtonian mechanics?

2) Please list the theorems you know based on Newtons laws

Physics news on Phys.org
physics2000 said:

Homework Statement

two questions below in my classical mechanics course (our first homework assignment) and I'm not sure what the questions are actually asking...do they want the equations? descriptions of the laws? names of the laws?

I'm confused because question one and two seem very similar !

1) What are the Newton's laws of motion in Newtonian mechanics?

2) Please list the theorems you know based on Newtons laws

The two questions are different. One is asking you to list and define each of Newton's Laws. This is really straightforward: I'm sure you know what they are.

The second is asking you to list other theorems that result from or can be derived from Newton's Laws. So, it's not asking for Newton's Laws themselves, but other principles in physics that result from them. As a hint, can you see anything in your notes/textbook that is actually referred to as a "theorem?" (Not that the nomenclature of "theorem" vs. "law" is actually meaningful -- it's all somewhat arbitrary). I can think of at least one.

work-energy theorem and impulse-momentum theorem?

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's three laws of motion are:
1. An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
2. The force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma).
3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. What is the difference between Newton's first and second laws?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
Newton's second law, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration.

3. Can you give an example of Newton's third law?

Yes, an example of Newton's third law is when you push against a wall, the wall pushes back with an equal force in the opposite direction. Another example is when you are rowing a boat, the rowing motion pushes the water backwards, propelling the boat forward.

4. How do Newton's laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's laws apply to everyday life in many ways. For example, when you walk, you are applying a force (pushing) to the ground, and the ground is pushing back with an equal force, causing you to move forward. Another example is when you throw a ball, the force you apply to the ball causes it to accelerate and move in the direction you threw it.

5. Are there any exceptions to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of objects in motion. However, there are some exceptions, such as when an object is moving at very high speeds or in extreme conditions, such as in outer space. In these cases, Einstein's theory of relativity and other principles may come into play.