Newtons laws, dynamics questions

In summary: For the first part, the frictional force is equal in magnitude to the weight component in the direction parallel to the slope. For the second part, you can use the equation F_k=μ_kn to solve for the kinetic friction force, and then use that to solve for the acceleration and distance using the equations F=ma and v_f^2=v_i^2+2aΔx. In summary, to solve both problems, you need to use Newton's second law and the equations for static and kinetic friction.
Nelonski

Homework Statement

1) A 1000-kg Car is parked on a 10 degree slope. Determine the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the car

2) A 2000-kg car traveling at an initial speed of 10m/s skids to a stop with a constant acceleration. The coefficient of friction between the tired and the road is 0.4. determine the length of the skid marks

Homework Equations

Newtons 2nd law f=ma

(f_s) = static friction
f_k= kinetic friction
w= weight
n= normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part (1) . The free body diagram I drew was on a slant to show that the normal force is perpendicular to the slanted road so it is in the positive y direction, the force of static friction is to the negative x axis, and the weight force is downwards (with two components x and y)

F_x = -f_s + wsin∅ = 0
F_y= n-wcos∅=0

Essentially, I just solved the x component equation, given that wsin∅ is 9800sin10.

This was then equal to the static friction force.

This feels wrong, it was too simple, but maybe I could just be overthinking/underthinking.

Is this correct?

2)The normal force is pointing up in the positive y axis, the weight force is pointing down, and the kinetic friction force is poiting to the negative x axis(left) for the free body diagram.

Equations:

F_x= -f_k=ma_x
F_y= n-w=0

I esentially solved for the normal force in the y direction, then plugged that into f_k=μkn , to solve for the kinetic friction force. after solving the friction, I plugged that into F_x and determined the acceleration (which is negative).

After knowing the acceleration, initial and final velocities I used the equation

v_f^2=v_i^2+2aΔx

Solved for x, and think i found the answer.

Is this right as well? (the mah is entirely tough to type out so I simply gave my steps for solving)

Thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Nelonski said:

Homework Statement

1) A 1000-kg Car is parked on a 10 degree slope. Determine the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the car

2) A 2000-kg car traveling at an initial speed of 10m/s skids to a stop with a constant acceleration. The coefficient of friction between the tired and the road is 0.4. determine the length of the skid marks

Homework Equations

Newtons 2nd law f=ma

(f_s) = static friction
f_k= kinetic friction
w= weight
n= normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part (1) . The free body diagram I drew was on a slant to show that the normal force is perpendicular to the slanted road so it is in the positive y direction, the force of static friction is to the negative x axis, and the weight force is downwards (with two components x and y)

F_x = -f_s + wsin∅ = 0
F_y= n-wcos∅=0

Essentially, I just solved the x component equation, given that wsin∅ is 9800sin10.

This was then equal to the static friction force.

This feels wrong, it was too simple, but maybe I could just be overthinking/underthinking.

Is this correct?

2)The normal force is pointing up in the positive y axis, the weight force is pointing down, and the kinetic friction force is poiting to the negative x axis(left) for the free body diagram.

Equations:

F_x= -f_k=ma_x
F_y= n-w=0

I esentially solved for the normal force in the y direction, then plugged that into f_k=μkn , to solve for the kinetic friction force. after solving the friction, I plugged that into F_x and determined the acceleration (which is negative).

After knowing the acceleration, initial and final velocities I used the equation

v_f^2=v_i^2+2aΔx

Solved for x, and think i found the answer.

Is this right as well? (the mah is entirely tough to type out so I simply gave my steps for solving)

Thanks so much

The method seems ok on both of those.

What are Newton's Three Laws of Motion?

1. An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.
2. The force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration (F=ma).
3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg), while weight is measured in Newtons (N).

What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law, force is directly proportional to mass and acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it, and the greater the acceleration, the more force is needed to achieve it.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion of an object at rest, while kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object in motion. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction, making it harder to start moving an object than to keep it moving.

How does Newton's Third Law apply to everyday life?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that in everyday situations, when we push or pull on an object, the object pushes or pulls back on us with the same amount of force. For example, when walking, our foot pushes against the ground, and the ground pushes back, propelling us forward.