Newton's Laws of Motion problem help

In summary: The formula for calculating acceleration is v^2 = vo^2 + 2ax, where vo is the initial velocity, v is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and x is the distance traveled. In summary, to solve for acceleration, use the formula v^2 = vo^2 + 2ax. To find the time, use the formula v = vo + at. The net force can be calculated using the formula F = ma.
Ogakor
Hi everyone! I am really bad in physics so I need help in my assignments. My problem is what formula to use. Here's the problems.

Homework Statement

An electron (mass = 9.11 x 10-31 kg) leaves one end of a tv picture tube with zero (0) initial speed and travels in a straight line to the accelerating grid, which is 1.80 cm away. It reaches the grid with a speed of 3.00 x 1006 m/s; If the accelerating force is constant, compute:
a.) acceleration
b.) time to reach the grid
c.) net force in Newtons (gravitational force on the electron may be neglected)

given:
m = 9.11 x 10-31
vo = 0 m/s
vF = 3.00 x 1006
d = 1.80 cm = 0.018m

In A:
I've thought of two formulas. Both give different results. These are:

a = v/t

Since there is no TIME, I will have to solve for time using:
t = m(v - vo) / F

The other formula I have thought of is:
a = v2 / 2x (from v2 = vo2 + 2ax)

In B:
It's either:
t = m(v - vo) / F
or
t = d/v

both giving different results again

In C:
It's obviously F = ma...

Please help me, I really don't know what formula to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate acceleration a, use v^2 = vo^2 + 2ax

To find t, use v = vo + at.

rl.bhat said:
To calculate acceleration a, use v^2 = vo^2 + 2ax

To find t, use v = vo + at.

Thank you.
About solving for t, my teacher didn't give that kind of formula, is that a formula from Force?

Ogakor said:
Thank you.
About solving for t, my teacher didn't give that kind of formula, is that a formula from Force?

You already give a=v/t which is the same as v=v0+at for v0=0. This formula comes from the definition of acceleration a=dv/dt, if we know that a is constant .

oh ok thanks. ^^

Ogakor said:
Thank you.

The formula for t is derived from the definition of the acceleration.

Related to Newton's Laws of Motion problem help

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are the basis of classical mechanics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How can I apply Newton's Laws of Motion to solve problems?

To solve problems involving Newton's Laws of Motion, it is important to first identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, use the appropriate equation (such as F=ma or F=mg) to calculate the net force on the object. Finally, use this net force to determine the acceleration or other unknown variables. It is also important to draw a free body diagram to visually represent all the forces and their directions.