Newtons laws: Seem's simple but not for me

In summary, the problem asks for finding the position r(t) given initial coordinates r(0), r'(0) and a force F that is dependent on the position, velocity, and time. The formula r''(t) = F(r(t), r'(t), t) / m can be used to solve this, but it requires knowing the specific function of F. Examples of possible solutions are r(t) = r(0) + r'(0)t + 1/2 (C/m)t^2 and r(t) = A sin(B+Ct).
premsantosh

Homework Statement

given initial coordinates, r(0), r'(0) and F(r,r',t)
find r(t)

Homework Equations

r''(t) = F(r(t), r'(t), t) / m

The Attempt at a Solution

have no idea where to start. some hint please, seem's pretty simple but not striking me.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi premsantosh! :smile:

what is F ? :confused:

Am sorry for not explaining the variables.
F = force
r is the position
r' is the velocity
r'' is the acceleration
t is the time
m is the mass

so essentially the first equation is: a = F/m

yes i know, but what function is F ? :confused:

I am not sure what your question is but I am assuming you are referring to F(r,r',t)
If its that then I am sorry that's what I do not understand too :P
Since it says F is dependent on the position, velocity at the current time t, I think we can maybe use some kind of equations to solve??

F could be any function of r r' and t …

you need to know what it is before you can solve it

where did you get this question from? :confused:

premsantosh said:
I am not sure what your question is but I am assuming you are referring to F(r,r',t)
If its that then I am sorry that's what I do not understand too :P
Since it says F is dependent on the position, velocity at the current time t, I think we can maybe use some kind of equations to solve??

There's no general solution for all F. There's lots of solutions for specific F. Most of them are when F is independent of t.

F = C. Solution r(t) = r(0) + r'(o)t + 1/2 (C/m) t^2
F = -kr(t). Solution r = A sin(B + Ct)

etc.

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How are Newton's laws relevant in everyday life?

Newton's laws are applicable to many everyday situations, such as driving a car, throwing a ball, or riding a bicycle. They help us understand how objects move and interact with each other and are the basis for many technological advancements, such as airplanes and rockets.

3. Can Newton's laws be broken?

No, Newton's laws are fundamental principles of physics and have been extensively tested and proven to be accurate. However, they are not applicable in extreme situations, such as at the atomic or subatomic level or in the realm of relativity.

4. How did Newton come up with his laws?

Isaac Newton developed his laws of motion based on his observations and experiments on the motion of objects. He also built upon the work of previous scientists, such as Galileo, who studied the behavior of moving objects.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Newton's laws?

Yes, Newton's laws have numerous real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. They are used to design structures, vehicles, and machines, and to predict and analyze the motion of objects in various scenarios. They are also essential in understanding how athletes perform and how to improve their performance.