Newton's Laws/ Tension Forces Problem

In summary: So: T1 = (M1g + 45N) upward. In summary, the tension in each string can be calculated by setting up free body diagrams for each weight and using the equations FNet = ma, Fg = mg, and g = 9.8. For part (a), the tension in each string can be found by setting FNet equal to zero and solving for T1 and T2. For part (b), the tension in each string can be found by adding the extra force of 45N to the free body diagram for M1 and solving for T1.
BEANTOWN

Homework Statement

Two Objects are hung from strings. The top object (m1) has a mass of 18 kg and the bottopm object (m2) has a mass of 12 kg.

Looks like this:
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=physi...w=158&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0,i:77

(a). Calculate tension in each string.

(b) Calculate the tension in each string if you pull down on m1 with a force of 45 N [down]

Homework Equations

FNet = ma
Fg = mg
g = 9.8

The Attempt at a Solution

I knew how to do (a).
I creted a free body diagram for each weight first.
Then for m1:
FNet = T1 - Fg
0 = T1 - Fg ----> FNet = 0 because it is at rest
T1 = Fg
T1 = (18)(9.8)
T1= 176.4 N
And then i did the same for the second one, and came up with T2 = 117.6

Then I got to (b). But I am lost.
I attemted to find acceleration by doing:
FNet = Fa ----> Fa = the 45 N
FNet = 45 N
ma = 45 N
(m1 + m2)a= 45 ---- a= 45/(18 + 12)
a = 1.5
So:
FNet = T1 - Fg1
(18)(1.5) + (9.8)(18) = T1
T1 = 203.4 N
According to my answer key, this is not right. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
BEANTOWN said:

Homework Statement

Two Objects are hung from strings. The top object (m1) has a mass of 18 kg and the bottopm object (m2) has a mass of 12 kg.

Looks like this:
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=physi...w=158&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0,i:77

(a). Calculate tension in each string.

(b) Calculate the tension in each string if you pull down on m1 with a force of 45 N [down]

Homework Equations

FNet = ma
Fg = mg
g = 9.8

The Attempt at a Solution

I knew how to do (a).
I creted a free body diagram for each weight first.
Then for m1:
FNet = T1 - Fg
0 = T1 - Fg ----> FNet = 0 because it is at rest
T1 = Fg
T1 = (18)(9.8)
T1= 176.4 N
And then i did the same for the second one, and came up with T2 = 117.6

Then I got to (b). But I am lost.
I attemted to find acceleration by doing:
FNet = Fa ----> Fa = the 45 N
FNet = 45 N
ma = 45 N
(m1 + m2)a= 45 ---- a= 45/(18 + 12)
a = 1.5
So:
FNet = T1 - Fg1
(18)(1.5) + (9.8)(18) = T1
T1 = 203.4 N
According to my answer key, this is not right. Please help.

Red line above.

T1 is supporting BOTH masses so the mass used to calculate T1 should be 30kg.

T2 is supporting only M2 so your answer is probably correct.

With a free body diagram:-

for M2:

M2g down, T2 up so your answer should be correct

for M1:

M1g down + T2 down, T1 up

For part b, there is no acceleration; merely an EXTRA 45N down in the free body diagram for M1

Related to Newton's Laws/ Tension Forces Problem

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by a net external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What is the difference between Newton's First and Second Laws?

The main difference between Newton's First and Second Laws is that the first law deals with objects at rest or in motion at a constant velocity, while the second law deals with objects that are accelerating. The first law explains how an object will behave without any external forces acting on it, while the second law explains how an object will accelerate when a net external force is applied to it.

How do you calculate tension forces in a problem?

Tension forces are calculated by using Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force applied to an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In a tension force problem, we can calculate the net force by considering all the forces acting on the object, including tension forces, and setting it equal to the mass of the object times its acceleration. Solving for the tension force will give us the magnitude of the tension in the problem.

Can tension forces be negative?

Yes, tension forces can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the tension force is opposite to the direction of the acceleration of the object. In this case, the tension force is acting to slow down or stop the object's motion, resulting in a negative value for the tension force.

What are some real-life examples of Newton's Laws and tension forces?

Some real-life examples of Newton's Laws and tension forces include a person pulling a suitcase with a constant velocity (First Law), a car accelerating on a highway (Second Law), and a bungee jumper experiencing a tension force as they are pulled back up (Third Law). These are just a few examples, as Newton's Laws and tension forces can be observed in many everyday situations.