Newtons method error approximation

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the error in x2 by using the formula |(true value - estimated value)/true value| and converting it to a decimal or percent error. The person also confirms that the third iteration is more accurate than the second iteration.
TyErd

Homework Statement

I've attached the question

Homework Equations

x(n+1) = x(n) - f(x(n)) / f '(x(n))

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so x2= 1.3517323300 and I've already calculated x3 to be 1.3483949227

then how do i estimate the error in x2? do i subtract or something?

Attachments

• 3333333333333333333.png
    3333333333333333333.png
    15 KB · Views: 571
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume they want a percent error as an answer. To do that you do [itex]\displaystyle\left|\frac{\text{true value} - \text{estimated value}}{\text{true value}}\right| \times 100[/itex]

So while your third iteration isn't the "true" value (it's still an approximation), it's more accurate than your second iteration so that's why you would divide by it.

nah its not a percent error. Its says |error in x2| =< ...

so if i didn't multiply by 100 it would give me decimal answer.
so it would be | (1.3483949227 - 1.351732330) / 1.3483949227 | yeah??

and that equals 0.002475.

Related to Newtons method error approximation

What is Newton's method error approximation?

Newton's method error approximation is a mathematical technique used to estimate the error in a numerical solution to a problem. It involves using a linear approximation to determine the difference between the actual solution and the approximate solution obtained through iterations of the Newton's method algorithm.

How does Newton's method error approximation work?

Newton's method error approximation involves using the first and second derivatives of a function to construct a linear approximation at a given point. This approximation is used to find the difference between the actual solution and the approximate solution, and this difference is then used to improve the accuracy of the approximate solution in subsequent iterations.

What are the benefits of using Newton's method error approximation?

Using Newton's method error approximation can help improve the accuracy of numerical solutions, especially for complex problems where traditional methods may not be effective. It also allows for a quick estimation of the error in a solution, making it a useful tool in scientific research and analysis.

What are the limitations of Newton's method error approximation?

One limitation of Newton's method error approximation is that it requires the function to be differentiable and have continuous second derivatives. It also may not work well for functions with multiple roots or for solutions that are close to a singularity. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the initial guess and the number of iterations used.

How is Newton's method error approximation used in scientific research?

In scientific research, Newton's method error approximation is often used in numerical analysis to estimate the error in a solution obtained through iterative methods. It is also used in optimization problems to improve the accuracy of solutions and in the study of chaotic systems to analyze the sensitivity of solutions to initial conditions.