Newton's Rings and Gap Size - See Attachment

• Thread starter PeachBanana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap Rings
In summary: So, if the reflected wave has to travel an extra distance (1/4λ), then that would explain why the answer is 1/4λ.In summary, The answer to the homework question is 1/4λ.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

A shallowly curved piece of glass
is placed on a flat one. When
viewed from above, concentric
circles appear that are called
Newton’s rings. In order to see
bright rings, the gap can be:

1. 0
2. 1/4λ
3. 1/2λ
4. λ

Homework Equations

1/2 λ occurs when n2>n1

The Attempt at a Solution

Why isn't the answer 1/2λ? For ray 1, when air travels into glass there is a 180° phase change. When glass travels back into air, there is no phase change. For Ray 2, it looks like air travels into air (although through glass) back into air so I didn't think there would be a phase change for that.

Attachments

• newtonsrings.jpg
    newtonsrings.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
PeachBanana said:
For ray 1, when air travels into glass there is a 180° phase change. When glass travels back into air, there is no phase change. For Ray 2, it looks like air travels into air (although through glass) back into air so I didn't think there would be a phase change for that.

Your wording has me a bit confused. The glass and the air are not traveling, just the light is traveling. Also, I'm not sure which ray you are calling Ray 1. Anyway, what's important are the two reflections that are labeled by B and C.

Is there a phase change at B? At C?

Sorry about that. I meant to say light is traveling.

Phase change at B - Yes.
Phase chance at C - No

PeachBanana said:
Phase change at B - Yes.
Phase chance at C - No

That's not quite right. Can you state the general rule for deciding whether or not there is a phase change?

PeachBanana said:
1/2 λ occurs when n2>n1

Sorry, I see you already did state the rule! So, consider reflection B. Which medium is n1 and which is n2?

I think my main problem is deciding the values of n2 and n1.

n1 = air = 1.00
n2 = glass ≈ 1.5?

point c

n1 = air = 1
n2 = air = 1

I'm unsure about part "C" because I know light travels through the glass but ends up in air.

At a point of reflection (say B), n1 is the medium in which the light is traveling just before it strikes the reflecting surface and n2 is the medium that the light would have traveled into if it had not reflected.

Ohhhh, ok. That would mean n1 = glass ≈ 1.5. n2 = air = 1. n2 < n1 no phase change

Right.

Since that is the case, at point "C" there is a phase change. I'm still trying to understand why the answer is 1/4λ.

OK, good. So, the two reflections together amount to a half-wavelength phase difference. In order to get them back in phase, what extra distance does one wave have to travel compared to the other wave (in terms of the wavelength)?

Does the other wave have to go an extra "1/2" because that way both waves will be in phase and lead to constructive interference?

Exactly! So, how would you express the extra distance traveled by one of the waves in terms of the gap distance?

I'm going to pretend I don't know what the answer is, haha.

Instinctively I would add them to get λ but I'm trying to look for an equation so I can algebraically see why the answer is 1/4λ.

Can you visualize the "extra distance" traveled by the wave that reflected at C?

Yes. Would it make sense if I thought about it like "light has to travel the wedge distance twice?"

Yes.

Yay!

Yahoo!

What are Newton's Rings?

Newton's Rings are a series of concentric, colored rings that form when a plano-convex lens is placed on top of a flat glass surface. It is named after Sir Isaac Newton, who first observed this phenomenon in the late 17th century.

How are Newton's Rings formed?

Newton's Rings are formed due to the interference of light waves reflected off the two surfaces of the lens and the glass surface. When the two surfaces are close enough, the reflected waves interfere with each other and create the rings of varying colors.

What is the significance of gap size in Newton's Rings?

The gap size refers to the distance between the lens and the glass surface. It affects the diameter and spacing of the rings. A smaller gap size results in smaller rings with a larger spacing, while a larger gap size creates larger rings with a smaller spacing.

What is the relationship between the gap size and the wavelength of light?

The gap size and the wavelength of light have an inverse relationship. As the gap size increases, the wavelength of light that forms the rings also increases, resulting in larger and more widely spaced rings.

What practical applications does Newton's Rings have?

Newton's Rings have various practical applications, such as in the manufacturing of precision lenses and flat surfaces. They can also be used to measure the thickness of transparent materials and to study the properties of light and optics.