Newton's Third Law: Action Equals Opposite Reaction

In summary: In the case of the sticky table, you need to hold everything steady so that the object will only experience the friction force of 10N.In summary, according to Newton's Third Law, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body. This law applies to all interactions between bodies, including friction. In the case of pushing on an object, the object will exert a 10N force back on the pusher, and this is the reaction force that people often refer to. However, this reaction force does not directly affect the object's acceleration, as it is only the forces acting on
Ajit Kumar
(a) Newtons III law : Every action has equal and opposite reaction

By (a), if I apply a force of 10N on an object, it sholudnt move, as it has equal reaction, by friction of -10N so as to stop it.

Isnt that logic correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ajit Kumar said:
You should find a more precise formulation. How many bodies are involved in Newtons III Law, and how many in your scenario?

The equal and opposite reaction is due to the second body acting on the first.

Another statement of Newton's third law for two objects A and B would be...
"the force on A due to B is equal and opposite to the force on B due to A"

If I push on a block of ice on a smooth floor, the ice will accelerate.

The forces on that block of ice, are:
-a large applied force due to my pushing,
-a smaller friction force in the opposite direction,
-gravity pulling down,
-and the smooth surface pushing up on the object, so that it does not sink through the floor.

However, as I apply a 10 N force on the block, the block is applying a 10 N force on me, pushing back on me exactly as much as I on it.

There might seem to be a sort of paradox here, but the important thing to consider is that it's only the forces acting on an object that will determine its acceleration. The forces it imparts on other objects have no direct effect.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Ajit Kumar said:
That is a very poor formulation of Newton's third law, which states that "When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body .

Ajit Kumar said:
By (a), if I apply a force of 10N on an object, it sholudnt move, as it has equal reaction, by friction of -10N so as to stop it.

Isnt that logic correct?
It is totally wrong. The friction is not reaction to your push. What happens if you push something on ice? will not it move?
Friction is force of interaction between bodies in contact. That force opposes relative motion.

jfizzix said:
The equal and opposite reaction is due to the second body acting on the first.

Another statement of Newton's third law for two objects A and B would be...
"the force on A due to B is equal and opposite to the force on B due to A"

If I push on a block of ice on a smooth floor, the ice will accelerate.

The forces on that block of ice, are:
-a large applied force due to my pushing,
-a smaller friction force in the opposite direction,
-gravity pulling down,
-and the smooth surface pushing up on the object, so that it does not sink through the floor.

However, as I apply a 10 N force on the block, the block is applying a 10 N force on me, pushing back on me exactly as much as I on it.

There might seem to be a sort of paradox here, but the important thing to consider is that it's only the forces acting on an object that will determine its acceleration. The forces it imparts on other objects have no direct effect.

So what I am missed in my logic?

Ajit Kumar said:
You stated that you are pushing on an object with a 10N force.

As everyone here has tried to point out, the equal and opposite reaction is the 10N force of the object on you. But that is a force on you, not a force on the object. The object is still subject to the 10N force and can still move as a result of that force.

jbriggs444 said:
But that is a force on you, not a force on the object. The object is still subject to the 10N force and can still move as a result of that force.
...or not, if there is also friction. The point you are missing, Ajit, is that the friction interaction is a second force pair. This is a very common misconception.

Ajit Kumar said:
There is a massive difference between conducting the experiment in deep space, where you can say there is only the 10N you apply and when the object is on a sticky table, where the 10N of friction force also is introduced.
The Third Law applies in both cases, though. The hand providing the 10N force will 'feel' a 10N force pushing back at it in both cases. That is the 'reaction force' that people talk about. Of course, the hand, out in space will be accelerating the object so you will have to chase after it in order to maintain your 10N force on it (and its reaction).

What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert a force back on the first object that is equal in strength and opposite in direction.

How does Newton's Third Law apply to everyday life?

Newton's Third Law applies to many everyday situations, such as walking, driving a car, or even sitting in a chair. When you walk, your feet push against the ground, and the ground pushes back with an equal and opposite force, allowing you to move forward. When a car accelerates, the wheels push against the road, and the road pushes back, propelling the car forward. When you sit in a chair, your body exerts a downward force on the chair, and the chair pushes back with an equal and opposite force, keeping you from falling through it.

Can Newton's Third Law be violated?

No, Newton's Third Law is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. In every interaction between two objects, the forces will always be equal and opposite, according to this law.

How is Newton's Third Law related to momentum?

Newtown's Third Law is closely related to the concept of momentum. According to Newton's Second Law, the force applied to an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. Since action and reaction forces are equal and opposite, the change in momentum of one object is canceled out by the change in momentum of the other object, resulting in no overall change in momentum in the system.

Is Newton's Third Law applicable only to physical objects?

No, Newton's Third Law is applicable to all types of forces, including non-physical forces such as electromagnetic and gravitational forces. It also applies to all objects, regardless of size or mass.