Next Generation of Nuclear Power Ideas -- Opinions?

In summary: Efficiency of thermoelectric conversion is typically in the single digits, at best. As for cost, I'm not sure. They should last 10-20 years, but I'm not sure about the cost of installation.You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary.
Dlhill13
Recently, I have been looking into more effective methods of harnessing nuclear power and making an attempt to move away from conventional steam plants and the use of turbines, thus reducing heat losses, maintenance and construction costs, etc.

That being said, my current concept uses a reactor to transfer heat to a coolant, which is moved through piping via a pump. The piping is coated with a thermally conductive material that is not electrically conductive. Around this layer are multiple thermoelectric generators, all connected in series to increase voltage output.

On the outside of the TEG's, a refrigeration unit would keep the outside of the units around -10 to -20F. In areas with cold climates, outside air may be used as a heat sink for the condensing unit of the refrigeration system instead of a body of water. The temperature difference (around 350K) will be enough to generate small voltage in each unit, then the series connection adds all of the voltages. This output is then run through a step-up transformer to get it high enough to be used for electrical distribution. Waste heat due to I^2R losses from the transformer will be removed via another coolant system, which dissipates that heat into a regenerative set of TEG units, cooled by the same refrigeration unit as the main units.

To compensate for the drop in current while stepping up the voltage, multiple transformers would be used in parallel to achieve an appropriate amount of current. A single reactor would have between 8 and 12 coolant loops, each loop having multiple TEG piping units. All units would connect to 2 different outputs to supply electricity to the power grid. Please share any opinions, suggestions or questions you may have. Any input from engineers would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Dlhill13 said:
Recently, I have been looking into more effective methods of harnessing nuclear power and making an attempt to move away from conventional steam plants and the use of turbines, thus reducing heat losses, maintenance and construction costs, etc.

That being said, my current concept uses a reactor to transfer heat to a coolant, which is moved through piping via a pump. The piping is coated with a thermally conductive material that is not electrically conductive. Around this layer are multiple thermoelectric generators, all connected in series to increase voltage output.

On the outside of the TEG's, a refrigeration unit would keep the outside of the units around -10 to -20F. In areas with cold climates, outside air may be used as a heat sink for the condensing unit of the refrigeration system instead of a body of water. The temperature difference (around 350K) will be enough to generate small voltage in each unit, then the series connection adds all of the voltages. This output is then run through a step-up transformer to get it high enough to be used for electrical distribution. Waste heat due to I^2R losses from the transformer will be removed via another coolant system, which dissipates that heat into a regenerative set of TEG units, cooled by the same refrigeration unit as the main units.

To compensate for the drop in current while stepping up the voltage, multiple transformers would be used in parallel to achieve an appropriate amount of current. A single reactor would have between 8 and 12 coolant loops, each loop having multiple TEG piping units. All units would connect to 2 different outputs to supply electricity to the power grid. Please share any opinions, suggestions or questions you may have. Any input from engineers would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the PF.

So you are trying to add in a bit of thermoelectric generation on top of the standard steam/turbine conversion? Are you aware of the thermoelectric efficiency versus the Carnot efficiency? Can you post those numbers for us? :smile:

Based on the temperatures that were standard in the reactor plant I used to work at, efficiency (of the steam plant alone), was around 35% in an ideal situation.

(let n represent Carnot Efficiency)

n = [ (Th - Tc) / Th ] * 100%
n = [ (449.8K - 289.8K) / 449.8K ]* 100% = 35%

I'm going to do some math on the thermoelectric efficiency when I get home.

My guess is that the refrigeration unit that keeps the cold side cold would use more power than the TEG generates. In other words, wouldn't the TEGs just heat up to a uniform temperature? I'd have to see a quantitative analysis to be convinced otherwise.

Also, what is the cost of the TEGs, how long do they last, etc.

If your main concern is maximizing the thermodynamic efficiency of a reactor, the most efficient would be a once-through very high temperature brayton cycle (gas turbine). If simplicity is your goal, I think the best approach would be a stirling engine design. Thermoelectric conversion is low efficiency and is only useful for low power applications requiring no maintenance/moving parts such space probes.

Likes berkeman
Dlhill13 said:

You realize the refrigeration will defeat any gains you make from the lower temperature, right?

1) What are the benefits of next generation nuclear power ideas?

The benefits of next generation nuclear power ideas include improved safety features, reduced waste production, and increased efficiency. These ideas also have the potential to provide a reliable source of clean energy and reduce dependence on fossil fuels.

2) What are the potential risks associated with next generation nuclear power?

Potential risks of next generation nuclear power include the release of radioactive materials, the possibility of accidents or meltdowns, and the challenge of storing and disposing of nuclear waste. However, new technologies and safety measures are being developed to address these concerns.

3) How do next generation nuclear power ideas differ from traditional nuclear power?

Next generation nuclear power ideas differ from traditional nuclear power in several ways. They often incorporate advanced reactor designs, such as small modular reactors, that are more efficient and produce less waste. These ideas also focus on improved safety and security measures.

4) What is the current state of development for next generation nuclear power ideas?

There are several next generation nuclear power ideas currently in development around the world. Some countries, such as China, Russia, and the United States, have already started building and testing these technologies. However, there are still regulatory and financial challenges that need to be addressed before widespread implementation can occur.

5) How do public opinions and attitudes towards nuclear power affect the development of next generation ideas?

Public opinions and attitudes towards nuclear power can have a significant impact on the development of next generation ideas. Concerns about safety and waste management can lead to stricter regulations and slower progress. However, increasing awareness about the benefits of these technologies and addressing public concerns can help facilitate their development and implementation.