NIST database and compressibility factor Z

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability and accuracy of experimental data for the compressibility factor of Nitrogen on the NIST database. The speaker initially expresses surprise at the extensive range of data on the database, but then questions if the data are approximations or calculated using specific formulas. They also mention that the data may not accurately represent the Standing and Katz's chart. However, they later apologize for not finding the reference articles for the database.
FranzSC
TL;DR Summary
Is NIST database accurate?
There's a huge volume of data on NIST database:
https://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/fluid....nit=m/s&VisUnit=uPa*s&STUnit=N/m&RefState=DEF

I'm interested in getting extensive sets of experimental data for the compressibility factor of Nitrogen. Could not find them anywhere until now, so it seems strange to me that NIST has a huge database for all ranges of pressures and temperatures. Do any of you know if the data on NIST database are approximations calculated with some formulae? For example, the NIST data do not seem to represent the Standing and Katz's chart accurately. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My bad, I finally found the reference articles for the database. Sorry.

Likes Twigg

1. What is the NIST database?

The NIST database, also known as the National Institute of Standards and Technology database, is a collection of physical and chemical property data for various substances. It is maintained by the NIST and is widely used by scientists and engineers for research and development purposes.

2. What is the compressibility factor Z?

The compressibility factor Z is a dimensionless quantity that represents the deviation of a gas from ideal gas behavior. It is defined as the ratio of the actual volume of a gas to the volume it would occupy if it behaved as an ideal gas at the same temperature and pressure.

3. How is the compressibility factor Z calculated?

The compressibility factor Z can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the volume of a gas at different pressures and temperatures and comparing it to the ideal gas volume.

4. Why is the NIST database important for studying compressibility factor Z?

The NIST database contains accurate and reliable data on the physical and chemical properties of substances, including the compressibility factor Z. This data is crucial for understanding the behavior of gases and for developing equations and models to predict their properties.

5. How can I access the NIST database and information on compressibility factor Z?

The NIST database is publicly available online through the NIST website. It can also be accessed through various scientific databases and software packages. Information on compressibility factor Z can be found in the thermophysical properties section of the NIST database.

Back