How Do You Apply Pople Notation to Complex Spin Systems Like in 1-Bromobutane?

In summary, Pople notation is a way to describe NMR spectra for molecules with multiple spin systems. For example, in 1-bromobutane, there are four spin systems, each designated by a letter (A, B, C, D). The number of each letter represents the number of protons in that spin system. The primes (') are used to distinguish magnetically inequivalent protons. Pople notation allows for any number of letters to be used, depending on the complexity of the molecule's spin systems.
scarecrow
NMR "Pople Notation" HELP!

All the examples in my textbook show molecules that have only three sets of multiplets (AX, AB, ABX, or AMX first oder spin systems). But what if I have a molecule with more than 3 spin systems, for example in 1-bromobutane:

CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-Br (there is a triplet, sextet, quintet, and triplet).

Each proton is unique, i.e., no chemically equivalent shift H's, no magnetically equivalent protons, enantiotopic or diastereotopic protons.

For this example, there is 4 spin systems, so do I have to describe it using 4 letters, but that seems impossible. I'm confused.

So far, I think it is this (reading left to right of the molecule): A3 B2 B2 X2

Someone please explain to me Pople notation. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

scarecrow said:
All the examples in my textbook show molecules that have only three sets of multiplets (AX, AB, ABX, or AMX first oder spin systems). But what if I have a molecule with more than 3 spin systems, for example in 1-bromobutane:

CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-Br (there is a triplet, sextet, quintet, and triplet).

Each proton is unique, i.e., no chemically equivalent shift H's, no magnetically equivalent protons, enantiotopic or diastereotopic protons.

For this example, there is 4 spin systems, so do I have to describe it using 4 letters, but that seems impossible. I'm confused.

So far, I think it is this (reading left to right of the molecule): A3 B2 B2 X2

Someone please explain to me Pople notation. Thank you.

You can see a detailed description of the Pople system at: http://www.chem.wisc.edu/areas/reich/nmr/05-hmr-07-pople.htm and http://www.chem.wisc.edu/areas/reich/nmr/05-hmr-08-symmetry.htm Any number of letters may be used.

The proper designation of 1-bromobutane is A3BB'CC'DD'. One could also use A3BB'CC'XX' since the CH2Br protons are quite far away from the others. The primes (BB') are there becasue the two B, two C and two D(X) protons are magnetically inequivalent. See: http://www.chem.wisc.edu/areas/reich/nmr/05-hmr-14-a2b2.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

What is NMR?

NMR stands for Nuclear Magnetic Resonance. It is a spectroscopic technique that is used to study the magnetic properties of atomic nuclei.

What is Pople Notation in NMR?

Pople Notation is a system for labeling the different peaks in an NMR spectrum. It uses letters and numbers to represent the location and intensity of peaks in a spectrum.

How is NMR used in scientific research?

NMR is used in various fields of science, including chemistry, biochemistry, and medicine. It is used to identify and characterize molecules, study their structures and interactions, and monitor chemical reactions.

What are the advantages of using NMR in research?

NMR is a non-destructive and non-invasive technique, meaning it does not damage the sample being studied. It also provides high-resolution and detailed information about the structure and properties of molecules.

Are there any limitations to NMR in scientific research?

While NMR is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It requires a large and expensive instrument, and the sample being studied must be in a liquid or solid state. It also has some difficulty in studying larger molecules or complex mixtures.