NMR Signals & Peaks of Di-Substituted Benzene Rings

In summary, for a di-substituted benzene ring with one CH3 and a Cl para to it, there will be three signals in the NMR spectrum corresponding to the three different types of protons present. This is determined by the number of chemically equivalent protons in the molecule.
FTNMR
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown
How many NMR signals and peaks will there be for a di-substituted benzene ring and why?
The ring has one CH3 and and a Cl ortho to the CH3.

(This isn't a homework problem but I am running into same issue whenever I encounter rings wrt NMR)

i am specifically confused as to how to apply the n+1 rule to determine the number of peaks, with respect to two chemically equivalent protons.

But first the signals

On the above example, I think there will be 3 signals:
the 3 chemically equivalent methyl protons = signal 1
the 2 chem equiv protons on either side of the Cl = the 2nd signal
the 2 chem equiv protons on either side of the methyl = the 3rd signal

Before I ask about peaks, could someone tell me if this is correct so far?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You say that the methyl is ortho to the chlorine, but from the description of the protons, it sounds like you're talking about p-chlorotoluene where the groups are para to each other. Which is correct?

download.png

Ygggdrasil said:
You say that the methyl is ortho to the chlorine, but from the description of the protons, it sounds like you're talking about p-chlorotoluene where the groups are para to each other. Which is correct?

Sorry not sure why i said ortho, yup i definitely meant para..heres drawing so its clear

please ignore that little grey dot above the ring.. no idea what that is (just learning chemdoodle).. thanks

Three kinds of protons sounds right.

1. What is NMR and how is it used in chemistry?

NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) is a spectroscopic technique used in chemistry to study the structure and composition of molecules. It uses the magnetic properties of atomic nuclei to identify and characterize molecules.

2. What are NMR signals and peaks in di-substituted benzene rings?

NMR signals and peaks in di-substituted benzene rings refer to the specific peaks or signals observed in the NMR spectrum of a molecule with two substituent groups attached to a benzene ring. These peaks are a result of the different chemical environments and interactions of the substituent groups with the benzene ring.

3. How do the positions of NMR signals and peaks vary in di-substituted benzene rings?

The positions of NMR signals and peaks in di-substituted benzene rings can vary depending on the nature and location of the substituent groups. Generally, the signals of the substituent groups will appear at different chemical shifts compared to the signals of the benzene ring, resulting in distinct peaks in the NMR spectrum.

4. What factors can affect the chemical shifts of NMR signals in di-substituted benzene rings?

The chemical shifts of NMR signals in di-substituted benzene rings can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the electronic effects of the substituent groups, steric effects, and the presence of neighboring groups. The type and number of substituent groups can also impact the chemical shifts.

5. How can NMR data be used to determine the structure of di-substituted benzene rings?

NMR data, including the positions and intensities of signals, can be used to determine the structure of di-substituted benzene rings. By comparing the NMR data to known spectra and using various analytical techniques, it is possible to identify the types and positions of the substituent groups and determine the overall structure of the molecule.