Nobel laureate gerard 't hooft supports dutch manned mission to mars

• Thread starter g.lemaitre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    mars
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the Netherlands sending people to Mars, with one person expressing doubt due to the numerous obstacles and the country's small population. They also question the ethics of making a reality show out of it and suggest waiting for technology to improve before attempting such a feat. However, another person mentions a book that argues everything needed for survival is already on Mars. Overall, it is believed that a small country like the Netherlands may not have the resources to successfully accomplish this goal.
g.lemaitre
i'm highly skeptical that the dutch can pull this off.

http://phys.org/news/2012-08-dutch-reality-one-way-tickets-mars.html

there are still so many obstacles to putting people on Mars that i seriously doubt a country of about 25 million like the netherlands could pull it off and this in spite of the fact that according to leonard susskind the dutch have more great physicists per capita than any other country. even worse, they want to make a reality show of it. i think it would be a rather sick reality show to watch people slowly die on another planet where nothing can be done to save them. I'm all for building a viable permanent colony on Mars but i think we're jumping the gun here. we've got to wait until our technology improves and the costs come down. humans are just set up in such a way that they won't build a colony on Mars unless it can be self-sustaining or profitable and soon. sure, we would like to see a colony on Mars but if it can't be self-sustaining we humans will put our labor into other efforts. I've read bob zubrin's book the case for Mars and he makes the convincing case that everything we need to survive is already on mars. still, i don't think a tiny country like the netherlands has the resources to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are already threads on this.

Related to Nobel laureate gerard 't hooft supports dutch manned mission to mars

1. Who is Gerard 't Hooft?

Gerard 't Hooft is a Dutch theoretical physicist and professor at Utrecht University. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1999 for his work on the theory of particle physics.

2. What is a Nobel laureate?

A Nobel laureate is an individual who has been awarded a Nobel Prize in one of the six categories: Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Literature, Peace, and Economic Sciences. The prize is given in recognition of outstanding achievements in these fields.

3. What is the Dutch manned mission to Mars?

The Dutch manned mission to Mars is a proposed space mission that aims to send a team of Dutch astronauts to Mars. It is a joint effort between the Dutch government and private space companies, with the goal of establishing a human settlement on the red planet.

4. What is Gerard 't Hooft's role in the Dutch manned mission to Mars?

Gerard 't Hooft is a strong advocate for the Dutch manned mission to Mars and has been actively supporting and promoting the project. He believes that it is a crucial step for humanity and a great opportunity for scientific exploration.

5. Why does Gerard 't Hooft support the Dutch manned mission to Mars?

Gerard 't Hooft supports the Dutch manned mission to Mars because he sees it as a way to expand our understanding of the universe and potentially find answers to some of the biggest questions in science. He also believes that it will inspire future generations and advance technology and innovation in various fields.