Node Method Problem: Identifying Errors

• Thread starter LongApple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving the equation V=IR and the attempt to solve it. The person has correctly solved for a1 and a2, but is struggling with finding b1. They mention using a subtraction method but realize it will not result in a simple answer. They also ask for guidance on how to find the error in their approach. The conversation ends with a reminder not to post handwritten images and a request for the person to show their work for b1 using the superposition principle.
LongApple

Homework Statement

upload_2015-1-19_16-38-8.png

upload_2015-1-19_16-38-34.png

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2015-1-19_16-39-3.png

upload_2015-1-19_16-39-22.png

I believe my a1 and a2 are correct.

But my b1 is definitely wrong. Even if I carry out the above subtraction for the v1 part (which gives you b1) I will not have somethign as simple as R2 + R3 on the numerator
upload_2015-1-19_16-40-30.png

[/B]

Where would be some starting places to pinpoint the error?

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-19_16-38-28.png
    upload_2015-1-19_16-38-28.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 370
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll try putting in dark blue.

Is this any easier to read?

I cannot change some of the below because some of it is pasted images

upload_2015-1-19_16-43-19.png
upload_2015-1-19_16-43-38.png

You're not supposed to post working as handwritten images. It's hard to read and hard to reference when making comments.
Given the answer for a1, please post your working to obtain b1 in typed text - preferably LaTeX, or using subscripts, but that's not essential.

This is a good time to apply the superposition principle.

As a scientist, the first step in identifying errors is to carefully review the equations and calculations used to arrive at the solution. In this case, the homework statement provides the equation V=IR, which is a fundamental equation in electrical circuits. Therefore, it is important to make sure that the equation is being applied correctly and that all variables are properly defined and used in the calculations.

Next, it may be helpful to check the units of all variables to ensure that they are consistent. In this case, V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. Therefore, V should be measured in volts, I in amps, and R in ohms. If these units are not consistent, it may indicate a mistake in the calculations.

Another potential starting point is to double check the values of the variables used in the equation. Are they accurate and correctly entered into the equation? It may also be helpful to redraw the circuit diagram and check all connections and components to make sure they are accurately represented in the calculations.

Lastly, it may be beneficial to seek help from a peer or instructor to review the calculations and provide a fresh perspective. Sometimes, a simple mistake can be easily overlooked by the person who made it.

Overall, the key to identifying errors is to carefully review all steps and assumptions made in the solution process. By doing so, it is possible to pinpoint the error and correct it.

Related to Node Method Problem: Identifying Errors

1. What is the Node Method Problem in science?

The Node Method Problem is a technique used in scientific research to identify and correct errors in data. It involves analyzing the connections between different data points or nodes in a system to determine where errors may have occurred.

2. Why is the Node Method Problem important in scientific research?

The Node Method Problem is important because it helps scientists to ensure the accuracy and reliability of their data. By identifying and correcting errors, researchers can have confidence in their results and draw more accurate conclusions.

3. What are some common errors that the Node Method Problem can identify?

The Node Method Problem can identify a wide range of errors in scientific data, including transcription errors, measurement errors, and errors caused by faulty instruments or equipment. It can also identify errors in data entry or analysis.

4. How does the Node Method Problem work?

The Node Method Problem involves examining the connections between different data points or nodes in a system. By comparing data from different nodes, scientists can identify discrepancies that may indicate errors. The process often involves multiple iterations of analysis and correction.

5. What are some limitations of the Node Method Problem?

While the Node Method Problem is a useful tool for identifying errors in scientific data, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be able to detect errors that occur within a single node, and it relies on the accuracy of the connections between nodes. Additionally, the process can be time-consuming and may require significant resources.