Noetherian Modules: ACC, Finite Ascending Chain Definition - Bland

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a noetherian module and the nature of an ascending chain of submodules, specifically the possibility of a finite ascending chain. The definition states that every ascending chain is infinite, but it is possible to have a finite chain in a module of finite length. It is also noted that if a module can always reverse the process of an infinite ascending chain, it is considered Noetherian.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Chapter 4, Section 4.2 on Noetherian and Artinian modules and need help with the definition of a noetherian module - in particular I need help with the nature of an ascending chain of submodule ...

Definition 4.2.1 reads as follows:

View attachment 3668

As I mentioned above, my question relates to the nature of an ascending chain - in particular, how do we regard a finite ascending chain ... indeed, is there such a thing as a finite ascending chain of submodules? (Note that the definition reads as if every ascending chain is unending or infinite?)For example, if we have a chain consisting of two submodules:

\(\displaystyle M_1 \subseteq M_2 \) (1)

How to we regard this? Is it a terminating ascending chain?

Do we in fact regard (1) as an infinite ascending chain, as shown:

\(\displaystyle M_1 \subseteq M_2 \subseteq M_3 \subseteq M_4 \subseteq \ ... \ ... \ ...\)

where \(\displaystyle M_2 = M_3 = M_4 = \ ... \ ... \ ... \)So, the (essentially finite) ascending chain terminates at \(\displaystyle M_2\) ... ...

Can someone clarify the above? Is this the right way to think about a finite ascending chain of submodules?

Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

You can certainly speak of finite chains, and we have actually discussed this in the subject of modules of finite length. In any case, if in $(1)$, $M_1$ and $M_2$ are submodules of a module $M$, then the chain $M_1 \subset M_2$ can be viewed as the infinite ascending chain $M_1 \subset M_2 \subset M \subset M \subset \cdot$. You cannot always "reverse" this process, i.e., an infinite ascending chain may not be considered a finite chain. However, if you can always reverse this process in a module $M$, then $M$ is Noetherian.

Euge said:
Hi Peter,

You can certainly speak of finite chains, and we have actually discussed this in the subject of modules of finite length. In any case, if in $(1)$, $M_1$ and $M_2$ are submodules of a module $M$, then the chain $M_1 \subset M_2$ can be viewed as the infinite ascending chain $M_1 \subset M_2 \subset M \subset M \subset \cdot$. You cannot always "reverse" this process, i.e., an infinite ascending chain may not be considered a finite chain. However, if you can always reverse this process in a module $M$, then $M$ is Noetherian.
Most helpful, Euge .. ...

Thank you,

Peter

Related to Noetherian Modules: ACC, Finite Ascending Chain Definition - Bland

1. What is a Noetherian module?

A Noetherian module is a module over a ring that satisfies the ascending chain condition (ACC). This means that every increasing chain of submodules eventually stabilizes, or in other words, there is no infinite sequence of submodules M1 ⊂ M2 ⊂ M3 ⊂ ... that never reaches a maximal element.

2. What is the ascending chain condition (ACC)?

The ascending chain condition (ACC) is a property that a module can have. It means that every increasing chain of submodules eventually stabilizes, or in other words, there is no infinite sequence of submodules M1 ⊂ M2 ⊂ M3 ⊂ ... that never reaches a maximal element.

3. How does the ACC relate to Noetherian modules?

The ACC is a necessary and sufficient condition for a module to be Noetherian. This means that a module is Noetherian if and only if it satisfies the ACC. In other words, a module is Noetherian if every increasing chain of submodules eventually stabilizes.

4. What is a finite ascending chain?

A finite ascending chain is a sequence of submodules that eventually reaches a maximal element. In other words, there is a largest submodule in the sequence and the sequence does not continue infinitely.

5. How is the finite ascending chain definition related to Noetherian modules?

The finite ascending chain definition is another way to describe the ACC for Noetherian modules. It states that a module is Noetherian if every finite ascending chain of submodules eventually reaches a maximal element. This is equivalent to saying that every increasing chain of submodules eventually stabilizes.