Noise Floor/Device Temperature Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the temperature of an LNA device using the noise power equation. The initial solution attempts to convert -100 dBm to dBW and then find the overall system noise temperature. There is a discussion about the temperature of the dish and whether it introduces noise, with one person suggesting that it is a metal sheet with negligible resistance. Another person confirms that the temperature mentioned is most likely the antenna noise temperature, not the physical temperature. The original solution is deemed to be correct, but the numbers have not been checked.
ashah99
Homework Statement
Please see an attachment below.
Relevant Equations
Pn= 10*log10(kTB)
dBm = dBW - 30 [dB]
Hi everyone, I would like to get some help with the following problem. I'm not sure if my answer is feasible. Thanks.

1634318611581.png

My attempt at a solution:

I used the noise power equation: Pn= 10*log10(kTB) and converted the -100 dBm to dBW by subtracting 30 dB to get -130 dBW. Then I tried to find the overall system noise temperaure, T, and then I subtract the antenna temperature to find the temp of the LNA.

Pn= 10*log10(kTB) = Pn= 10*log10(k) + Pn= 10*log10(T) + Pn= 10*log10(B)
-130 dBW= 10*log10(1.38e-23 J/K) + 10*log10(T) + Pn= 10*log10(20e6 Hz)
10*log10(T) = -130 dBW - (-228.6 dB/J/K) - 73 dB/Hz = 25.6 dB/K
T = 10^(25.6/10) = 362.3 K
T_LNA = T - T_antenna = 262.3 K

This seems quite high for LNA device temperature. Could someone help to see if my work is right or if I'm totally off-track or misinterpreting the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why should the temperature of the dish introduce noise? It is a metal sheet with negligible resistance.

Actually 100K is very cold so I think they mean Antenna Noise Temperature, not physical temperature. I think your method is OK but have not checked the numbers.

tech99 said:
Actually 100K is very cold so I think they mean Antenna Noise Temperature, not physical temperature. I think your method is OK but have not checked the numbers.
My assumption was antenna noise temp as well. Would you kind as to check if I’m on the right path?

1. What is noise floor/device temperature problem?

The noise floor/device temperature problem refers to the presence of unwanted signals or interference in a device's output signal due to the internal noise generated by the device itself or external factors such as temperature changes. This can affect the accuracy and reliability of the device's measurements or performance.

2. What causes noise floor/device temperature problem?

The noise floor/device temperature problem can be caused by a variety of factors, such as poor design or construction of the device, electronic components that generate noise, external sources of interference, or changes in temperature that affect the device's internal circuitry.

3. How does noise floor/device temperature problem affect device performance?

The presence of noise floor/device temperature problem can lead to inaccurate or unreliable measurements, reduced signal-to-noise ratio, and decreased sensitivity of the device. This can result in errors or inconsistencies in the device's output, which can be problematic in scientific experiments or other applications where precision is crucial.

4. How can noise floor/device temperature problem be minimized?

To minimize the effects of noise floor/device temperature problem, proper design and construction of the device is essential. This includes using high-quality components, shielding the device from external sources of interference, and implementing noise reduction techniques such as filtering or amplification. Additionally, maintaining a stable temperature environment for the device can also help reduce the impact of temperature-related noise.

5. Can noise floor/device temperature problem be completely eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate noise floor/device temperature problem, it can be minimized to a level that does not significantly affect the device's performance. This requires careful design and implementation of noise reduction measures, as well as regular maintenance and calibration of the device to ensure optimal performance.