How to Solve a Non-Homogeneous Equation and Draw Its Characteristic Curves?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the non-homogeneous equation $u_t+uu_x=0$ with the initial condition $u(x,0)=x$ and drawing characteristic curves. The solution involves finding the characteristic curves, which are given by the solutions of the ode $\frac{dx}{dt}=u(x,t)$, and determining that $u(x,t)$ should only be a function of $x$. The correct solution is $u(x,t)=\frac{x}{t+1}$ and the characteristic lines are given by $x(t)=ct+c$. The desired graph is a plot of some of these characteristic lines.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to solve the non-homogeneous equation $u_t+uu_x=0$ with the initial condition $u(x,0)=x$. Also I want to draw some of the characteristic curves.

I have tried the following so far:

The characteristic curves for $u_t+uu_x=0$ are the curves that are given by the solutions of the ode $\frac{dx}{dt}=u(x,t)$.

We have that $\frac{d}{dt}[u(x(t),t)]=u_t+uu_x=0$ and so $u(x(t),t)=c$.

We consider the line that passes through the points $(x_0,0)$ and $(x,t)$.
The slope of the line is

$\frac{x-x_0}{t-0}=\frac{dx}{dt}=u(x,t)=u(x_0,0)=x_0$, thus $x-x_0=tx_0 \Rightarrow x_0=\frac{x}{t+1}$.

Then we would get that $u(x,t)=\frac{x}{t+1}$. But this cannot be right, since $u$ should be only a function of $x$.

So have I done something wrong? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey evinda! (Smile)

Isn't $u(x,t)$ supposed to be a function of both x and t?
What's the reason that it would only depend on x? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

Isn't $u(x,t)$ supposed to be a function of both x and t?
What's the reason that it would only depend on x? (Wondering)

I thought so, since $u(x(t),t)=c$. So is the solution that I found right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I thought so, since $u(x(t),t)=c$. So is the solution that I found right? (Thinking)

Yes, your solution is correct.
And a level curve of the solution depends on both x and y. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yes, your solution is correct.
And a level curve of the solution depends on both x and y. (Nod)

Ok... But do we have to take into consideration that $\frac{x(t)}{t+1}=c$ when drawing the characteristic curves ? If so, how? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Ok... But do we have to take into consideration that $\frac{x(t)}{t+1}=c$ when drawing the characteristic curves ? If so, how? (Thinking)

We can rewrite it as $x(t)=ct+c$, can't we?
That is a straight line for each value of c that we pick. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
We can rewrite it as $x(t)=ct+c$, can't we?
That is a straight line for each value of c that we pick. (Thinking)

The functions $x(t)$ that we find are called characteristic lines, right? (Thinking)

Now, I saw that I am supposed to draw some of the characteristic lines. (Nerd)

View attachment 8162

So the above is a desired graph, isn't it? (Thinking)

Attachments

• graph5.JPG
    graph5.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 47
evinda said:
The functions $x(t)$ that we find are called characteristic lines, right? (Thinking)

Now, I saw that I am supposed to draw some of the characteristic lines. (Nerd)

So the above is a desired graph, isn't it? (Thinking)

Yep. All good. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. All good. (Nod)

Nice, thank you! (Smirk)

What is a non-homogeneous equation?

A non-homogeneous equation is a type of mathematical equation where the variables and their coefficients have different powers and do not all equal zero when substituted into the equation. This means that the equation does not have a unique solution and requires additional information to solve.

How do you solve a non-homogeneous equation?

To solve a non-homogeneous equation, you need to use a method called variation of parameters. This involves finding a general solution to the related homogeneous equation and then using a set of parameters to find a particular solution to the non-homogeneous equation. The general solution and particular solution are then combined to find the complete solution.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous equation?

A homogeneous equation has all variables and coefficients with the same powers and is equal to zero when substituted into the equation. This type of equation has a unique solution. In contrast, a non-homogeneous equation has variables and coefficients with different powers and is not equal to zero when substituted into the equation. This type of equation requires additional information to solve and does not have a unique solution.

What are some real-life applications of non-homogeneous equations?

Non-homogeneous equations can be used to model various physical phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving forces, motion, and energy.

Are there any techniques to simplify non-homogeneous equations?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to simplify non-homogeneous equations. These include substitution, integration, and trigonometric identities. Additionally, certain types of non-homogeneous equations, such as linear and separable equations, have specific methods that can be used to simplify them.