Non-Inertial Frame: Key Clues & Examples

In summary: Frames which are inertial with respect to the "fixed stars" are interial relative to each other, and any frame which is non-inertal with respect to the fixed stars is non-inertial to all others.
mikengan
I confuse when should I use non-inertial frame...
is there any keyword or key clues that remind you of using non-inertial frame of reference?

can anyone help explain this with an example?

Physics news on Phys.org
A non-inertial frame is a frame of reference which is accelerating with respect to another frame of reference.

For example, for people standing on the Earth we are in a non-inertial frame of reference, because the Earth is rotating with respect to the "fixed" stars, and simultaneously moving in a curved orbit around the sun.

If you want a deeper understanding than that, you'll probably have to read up on some general relativity.

It depends a bit on how you're looking at this problem. Physically, we can tell we are in a non-inertial frame by the appearance of fictitious forces in our frame. For example, here on Earth, we experience the coriolis force and the centrifugal force (for the Earth, it's hard to notice since it's angular velocity is so low). When your car is turning, you feel a centrifugal force even though nothing is pushing on you. This tells you that you're in a non-inertial reference frame.

The difference between a Newtonian non-inertial frame and a General Relativistic non-inertial frame would be which forces we call "fictitious forces". Specifically GR does not treat the gravitational force as a real force, it is more like a "fictitious force".

dipole said:
A non-inertial frame is a frame of reference which is accelerating with respect to another frame of reference.
That would make all reference frames non-inertial.

No it wouldn't. Explain how you arrive at that conclusion. The point is, in Newtonian physics (which I assume is the scope the OP is working in) velocities are relative, but acceleration is absolute - it is not correct to say that if I am accelerating on a train and see a person standing at the train station, that from my point of view, that person is in a non-inertial frame of reference and my frame is inertial, because there are no measurable ficticious forces acting on that person, but there are on me. All frames which are inertial with respect to the "fixed stars" are interial relative to each other, and any frame which is non-inertal with respect to the fixed stars is non-inertial to all others.

I think what A.T. meant is you should've said:
"A non-inertial frame is a frame of reference which is accelerating with respect to an intertial frame of reference"

(Because inertial reference frames are accelerating with respect to non-inertial reference frames, right?)

dipole said:
velocities are relative, but acceleration is absolute
Proper acceleration is absolute. But you were taking about coordinate acceleration relative to something:
dipole said:

dipole said:
if I am accelerating on a train
I guess you mean proper acceleration that an accelerometer on the train would measure?

dipole said:
and see a person standing at the train station, that from my point of view, that person is in a non-inertial frame of reference and my frame is inertial,
No. Whether a frame is inertial or not is not a matter of perspective. Proper acceleration is absolute.

dipole said:
because there are no measurable ficticious forces acting on that person, but there are on me.
If there are fictitious forces in the frame of the train, then we know that the train-frame is non-inertial. So the train passenger cannot say "from my point of view, my frame is inertial", as you did above.

Related to Non-Inertial Frame: Key Clues & Examples

1. What is a non-inertial frame?

A non-inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's laws of motion do not hold true. This is typically due to the frame being accelerating or rotating.

2. How is a non-inertial frame different from an inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's laws of motion hold true. In contrast, a non-inertial frame does not follow these laws due to its acceleration or rotation.

3. What are some examples of non-inertial frames?

Some examples of non-inertial frames include a rotating merry-go-round, a car making a sharp turn, and an airplane during takeoff or landing.

4. How can you identify a non-inertial frame?

A key clue to identifying a non-inertial frame is the presence of fictitious forces, such as centrifugal force or Coriolis force. These forces only appear in non-inertial frames and do not exist in inertial frames.

5. Why is it important to understand non-inertial frames?

Understanding non-inertial frames is important in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects in these frames, which is crucial for the development of technologies such as rockets and satellites.