Non-inertial frame of reference

In summary, the problem involves calculating the acceleration of a speedboat given the mass of a suspended cork ball and the angle at which the ball and string hang from the ceiling. The correct answer, found using an inertial frame of reference, is 6.2m/s^2. However, the teacher wants the answer using a non-inertial frame of reference, where the acceleration of the speedboat is equal to the fictitious force. It should be noted that the fictitious force equals ma, not just a.
rrosa522

Homework Statement

You use a string to suspend a cork ball with a mass of 22.0g from the ceiling of a moving speedboat. The ball and string hang at 32.5 degrees from the vertical. Calculate the acceleration of the speedboat.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to calculate using inertial frame of reference and I got 6.2m/s^2, which is the correct answer. But my teacher wants me to use non-inertial frame of reference to answers this question and I have no idea how.
My teacher said that the acceleration of the speedboat is equal to the fictitious force, but I found the fictitious force and it did not equal to 6.2

Physics news on Phys.org
rrosa522 said:
My teacher said that the acceleration of the speedboat is equal to the fictitious force, but I found the fictitious force and it did not equal to 6.2
The fictitious force equals ma, not a. (An acceleration would not even have the correct units.)

What is a non-inertial frame of reference?

A non-inertial frame of reference is a coordinate system that is accelerating or rotating with respect to an inertial frame of reference, which is a coordinate system that is not accelerating or rotating. In a non-inertial frame, the laws of motion described by Newton's laws may not hold true.

What are some examples of non-inertial frames of reference?

Some examples of non-inertial frames of reference include a car accelerating or decelerating, a merry-go-round rotating, or an elevator moving up or down. These frames of reference are not considered inertial because they are experiencing acceleration or rotation.

How do non-inertial frames of reference affect the measurement of motion?

In non-inertial frames of reference, objects may appear to be accelerating or moving even when no external forces are acting on them. This is due to the frame of reference itself accelerating or rotating. As a result, the measurement of motion in non-inertial frames may not be accurate or consistent with the laws of motion in an inertial frame.

What is the Coriolis effect and how does it relate to non-inertial frames of reference?

The Coriolis effect is a phenomenon in which an object's path appears to be curved due to the rotation of the Earth. This effect is only observed in non-inertial frames of reference, as objects in an inertial frame will continue to move in a straight line. The Coriolis effect is commonly seen in weather patterns and ocean currents.

How do non-inertial frames of reference impact the study of physics?

Non-inertial frames of reference are important to consider in the study of physics as they can complicate the analysis of motion and the application of Newton's laws. They also play a crucial role in understanding phenomena such as the Coriolis effect and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of objects in accelerating or rotating systems.