Non-Sinusoidal Standing Waves Existence?

• B
  • Thread starter QuantumCuriosity42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Standing waves
QuantumCuriosity42
TL;DR Summary
Looking for evidence and visual demonstrations of non-sinusoidal standing waves.
Hi everyone,

I'm curious if standing waves must be sinusoidal or if they can also be non-sinusoidal. Can anyone point me to videos or simulations of non-sinusoidal standing waves in action?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's all about the boundary conditions for the DEs, like bessel function for circles, etc.

Likes QuantumCuriosity42
DaveE said:
It's all about the boundary conditions for the DEs, like bessel function for circles, etc.

Thanks, and what is the special boundary condition that works for sinusoids but not for other shapes?

QuantumCuriosity42 said:
Thanks, and what is the special boundary condition that works for sinusoids but not for other shapes?
Are you familiar with Fourier analysis? When you say non-sinusoidal waveforms, what exactly do you mean?

berkeman said:
Are you familiar with Fourier analysis? When you say non-sinusoidal waveforms, what exactly do you mean?
Yes I am. I mean any other shape, like a square or triangular wave, which also is a standing wave.

QuantumCuriosity42 said:
Yes I am. I mean any other shape, like a square or triangular wave, which also is a standing wave.
But those are composed of sinusoidal waves, no?

berkeman said:
But those are composed of sinusoidal waves, no?
Yes, but can multiple sinusoidal waves be stationary at the same time under the same boundary conditions?

Typically standing waves occur at a system's resonant frequencies. Those natural responses can be excited by any driving function that contains that frequency. It doesn't have to be just one. Think of a violin string that is aggressively bowed (is that a verb?), it can have multiple harmonics excited as standing waves. But it doesn't sound, or look like a pure sine wave. Which leads us back to @berkeman's question about fourier transforms, and what you really mean by "non-sinusoidal".

DaveE said:
aggressively bowed (is that a verb?)
Yes it is, although technically it is a verb phrase; it's a verb modified by an adverb. :smile:

We have three threads on this. OP, are you going to keep asking again and again and again and again and again until you get the answer you want? Maybe if you tell us what this is all about we could provide a more satisfactory response.

Well yeah, there's that. Thread closed for Moderation...

Thread is reopened provisionally.

@QuantumCuriosity42 -- Why are you asking this type of question (repeatedly)? If you understand Fourier Analysis, you should be able to answer this question for yourself.

1. Do non-sinusoidal standing waves actually exist?

Yes, non-sinusoidal standing waves do exist. While sinusoidal waves are the most common and easiest to visualize, waves with different shapes can also form standing waves under certain conditions.

2. What are some examples of non-sinusoidal standing waves?

Examples of non-sinusoidal standing waves include square waves, triangular waves, and sawtooth waves. These waveforms can be observed in various physical systems such as strings, membranes, and electrical circuits.

3. How do non-sinusoidal standing waves differ from sinusoidal standing waves?

Non-sinusoidal standing waves differ from sinusoidal standing waves in terms of their waveform shape. While sinusoidal waves have a smooth, periodic oscillation, non-sinusoidal waves have more complex shapes with sharp changes in amplitude.

4. What factors influence the formation of non-sinusoidal standing waves?

The formation of non-sinusoidal standing waves is influenced by the boundary conditions, the properties of the medium through which the waves propagate, and the driving frequency of the wave source. These factors can lead to the generation of non-sinusoidal waveforms.

5. Are non-sinusoidal standing waves important in practical applications?

Yes, non-sinusoidal standing waves are important in various practical applications such as signal processing, telecommunications, and music synthesis. Understanding and manipulating non-sinusoidal waveforms can lead to innovative solutions in these fields.