Non-standard calculus (infinitesimals)

In summary, the given expression can be rewritten as the limit of \frac{\sqrt{H}}{(\sqrt{2}+1)\sqrt{H}} as H approaches positive infinite. This can be simplified further using an algebra trick and the fact that for "infinite" H, H+1= H and H-1= H. This simplification results in a limited (aka finite) number with a standard part of 1. Therefore, the final result is \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}+1}.
danne89
Compute the standard part of this, please:
[tex]\frac{ \sqrt{H+1}}{ \sqrt{2H} + \sqrt{H-1}}[/tex], where H is positive infinite.

It probably should be some algebra trick I'm not familar with.

Physics news on Phys.org
infinite can't divided by infinite... your question doesn't make sense at all
I think what you meant was...
[tex] \lim_{H \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{H+1}}{\sqrt{2H}+\sqrt{H-1}} [/tex]

hints:
for a very large [itex] H [/itex], you can assume [itex] \sqrt{H+1}= \sqrt{H} [/itex]

No, vincent, he meant what he said. As the title said, this is "non-standard analysis" in which we have both infinite numbers and infinitesmals. (H is a positive infinite number.)

However, the result will be exactly the same as the lim as H-> infinity.

And, yes, it is true that for "infinite" H, H+1= H, H-1= H. This is exactly the same as
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{H}}{\sqrt{2H}+\sqrt{H}}= \frac{\sqrt{H}}{(\sqrt{2}+1)\sqrt{H}}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}+1}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
One algebra trick, it so happens, is exactly the same as standard analysis: divide the numerator and denominator by the "highest power" of H... in this case, it's 1/2.

And, yes, it is true that for "infinite" H, H+1= H, H-1= H.

That's incorrect: H+1 is never equal to H for any hyperreal, even the unlimited ones. (I think unlimited is the preferred term, over infinite or transfinite)

The unlimited hyperreals don't act like cardinal numbers -- they act like real numbers, in a very real sense. (Pun intended)

However, H/(H+1) would be a limited (aka finite) number with standard part 1, so that could be used fruitfully in this example, by replacing (H+1) with H * ((H+1) / H).

Ahh I see! It's really just a beginner calculus book, although it used infinitesimals.

Ah! Thanks for clearing up my error, Hurkyl. An expert on non-standard analysis I'm not. (I'm barely competent on STANDARD analysis!)

Related to Non-standard calculus (infinitesimals)

1. What is non-standard calculus?

Non-standard calculus, also known as non-standard analysis, is a branch of mathematics that extends the traditional calculus of real numbers to include infinitesimals and infinite numbers. This allows for a more rigorous treatment of infinitesimal quantities, which are quantities that are infinitely small but not zero.

2. How does non-standard calculus differ from traditional calculus?

The main difference between non-standard calculus and traditional calculus is the inclusion of infinitesimals and infinite numbers. In traditional calculus, infinitesimals are considered to be zero, while in non-standard calculus, they are treated as non-zero but still infinitely small. This allows for a more precise treatment of limits, derivatives, and integrals.

3. What are infinitesimals and infinite numbers?

Infinitesimals are quantities that are infinitely small but not zero. They are typically denoted by the symbol ε, and can be thought of as numbers that are too small to be measured, but not small enough to be considered zero. Infinite numbers, on the other hand, are numbers that are infinitely large, and are denoted by the symbol ∞. They represent quantities that are too large to be measured or compared to other numbers.

4. What are some real-world applications of non-standard calculus?

Non-standard calculus has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields that require precise mathematical modeling. It has been used to solve problems in fluid mechanics, quantum mechanics, and control theory, among others. It also has applications in economics, where it has been used to model decision-making processes and market behavior.

5. What are the advantages of using non-standard calculus?

One of the main advantages of non-standard calculus is its ability to provide a more rigorous and intuitive treatment of infinitesimal quantities. This can lead to more accurate solutions to mathematical problems and a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, non-standard calculus allows for the development of new mathematical tools and techniques that are not possible with traditional calculus.