Non-steady suction induced by Venturi Injector

In summary, the conversation discusses a venturi injector problem and how to determine the pressure difference and suction rate using the Bernoulli's equation. The suggested approach is to analyze points 4 and 3 and then points 3 and 2, using the integral form of the Bernoulli's equation. The time limits for integration would depend on the specific conditions of the problem. It is also suggested to consider the effect of friction in the analysis.
PickledCucumber
This is not really homework but an engineering problem nonetheless.

1. I have a venturi injector sucking in liquid (by all means and purposes identical to water) and injecting into a pressurized water line. A straight tube is inserted into the container of liquid (below the liquid surface) and connected to the throat of the injector. The container is open to the atmosphere. I would like to know if suction is possible. If so, what is the pressure difference at the throat of the injector and suction rate? Assume incompressible & irrotational flow, rigid pipe and neglect friction.

venturi injector diagram small.png

Givens:
##P_1=344.7 kPa##
##\rho=1000 kg/m^3 ##
##Q=0.05 LPM##
##g=9.81 m/s^2##
##d_1=0.0635 m##
##d_2=0.0125 m##
##d_4=0.05 m##
##h_2=2 m##
##h_3=0 m##
##h_4=0.5 m##

Relevant equations:
##Q=A*V##
## P_1/\rho + V_1^2/2 + gh_1=P_2/\rho + V_2^2/2 + gh_2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I would analyze points 4 and 3 first. Then I would analyze points 3 and 2 to determine the pressure difference which will help me determine suction. However, I am unsure if my approach to the bernoullis balance is correct.
there are two variations I have looked into:
method 1: ##\frac{1}{\rho} \frac{dP_3}{dt}+ \frac{(\frac{dV_3}{dt})^2}{2} + gh_3=\frac{P_4}{\rho} + \frac{V_4^2}{2} + g \frac{dh_4}{dt}##
or
method 2: can we look at the change of pressure and velocity with respect to change in height rather than change in time.

Going with method 1:
I assume that h4 will decrease over time. I then also assumed the velocity and pressure are both dependent on each other and will vary over time as height decreases between h4 and h3
##\frac{dP_3}{dt}=\rho(g \frac{dh_4}{dt}- \frac{(\frac{dV_3}{dt})^2}{2})##
Now I am unsure what my time limits are when integrating.

Is my current approach reasonable? Is there an transient unsteady bernoullis balance that should be applied here instead? I have also been reading on the unsteady bernoullis equation derived from eulers equation.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your engineering problem. I would like to offer my perspective on your proposed solution.

Firstly, your approach to analyzing points 4 and 3 and then points 3 and 2 seems reasonable. However, I would suggest using the Bernoulli's equation in its integral form, which takes into account the variation of pressure and velocity with respect to height. This would give you a more accurate and comprehensive solution.

Secondly, I believe that your time limits for integration would depend on the specific conditions of your problem. For example, if you are looking for the suction rate at a specific time, you would integrate from that time until the final time. If you are interested in the overall suction rate over a period of time, you would integrate over the entire time period. I would recommend consulting with an engineer or using a numerical simulation to determine the appropriate time limits for integration.

Lastly, I would also suggest considering the effect of friction in your analysis. While you have neglected it in your given assumptions, it may have a significant impact on the results, especially if you are looking at a longer time period.

I hope this helps and good luck with your engineering problem!

1. What is a Venturi injector?

A Venturi injector is a device that uses the principle of fluid dynamics to create a low pressure zone, or suction, in a fluid by increasing its velocity through a constricted area. This suction can be used to draw a secondary fluid, such as a gas or liquid, into the primary fluid stream.

2. How does a Venturi injector create non-steady suction?

A Venturi injector creates non-steady suction by varying the flow rate of the primary fluid. As the flow rate increases, the velocity of the fluid through the constricted area also increases, creating a larger pressure differential and stronger suction. This suction will decrease as the flow rate decreases, resulting in non-steady suction.

3. What are the applications of non-steady suction induced by Venturi injectors?

Non-steady suction induced by Venturi injectors has a wide range of applications. It can be used in industrial processes to mix and dispense fluids, in water treatment systems to remove contaminants, and in medical devices to deliver medication or draw blood. It can also be used in agricultural irrigation systems to draw in fertilizers or pesticides.

4. What factors affect the strength of the suction created by a Venturi injector?

The strength of the suction created by a Venturi injector is affected by several factors, including the flow rate of the primary fluid, the size and shape of the constriction, and the properties of the fluids involved. Additionally, the angle of the Venturi injector and the distance between the injector and the secondary fluid source can also impact the strength of the suction.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of Venturi injectors for creating non-steady suction?

While Venturi injectors can be very effective for creating non-steady suction, there are some limitations to their use. These include the need for a constant flow rate of the primary fluid, the potential for clogging or blockages in the injector, and the limitation of the suction to a certain distance from the injector. Additionally, the properties of the fluids involved can affect the strength of the suction and may require adjustments to the design of the injector.