Nonlinear coordinate transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the 2-D diffusion equation in a region bounded by two lines and the challenges of working with the boundary condition numerically. The speaker recalls a trick involving a coordinate transformation to simplify the problem and already has a program to solve it numerically. They mention the transformation should satisfy certain conditions and mention needing to find relationships between variables to transform the derivatives in the PDE. The speaker also acknowledges posting in the wrong section.
shawnstrausser
Evening all,

I'm trying to solve the 2-D diffusion equation in a region bounded by y = m x + b, and y = -m x -b. The boundary condition makes it complicated to work with numerically, and I recall a trick that involves a coordinate transformation so that y = m x + b, and y = -m x -b are mapped to y = 1, and y = 0, which I already have a program to solve numerically. This will transform the PDE, but that is easier (I think) to work with..

My attempt:
I simplified the problem to first consider y = m x, and y = - m x.
The curve y = m x can be written as (x, m x), and y = - m x as (x, -m x).
The transformation, T, should satisfy T(x, m x) = (x, 1) and T(x, - m x) = (x,0). As far as I can tell, (x, m x), and (x, - m x) form a basis(?) and so this should completely determine the transformation, from what I recall in Linear Algebra (or maybe that only works for a linear transformation?). It looks like the transformation is non linear as well. I'm not quite sure where to go, I want to map from the coordinates (x,y) to (x',y') that transform the curves as described above. If I could find the relationships x = f(x',y') and y = g(x',y'), then I could transform the derivatives in the PDE. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized I posted in the wrong section...sorry

Related to Nonlinear coordinate transformation

1. What is a nonlinear coordinate transformation?

A nonlinear coordinate transformation is a mathematical technique used to change the coordinate system of a given set of data points. Unlike a linear coordinate transformation, which involves simple scaling and rotation, a nonlinear transformation involves more complex mathematical operations, such as logarithms, exponentials, and trigonometric functions.

2. Why is nonlinear coordinate transformation important in scientific research?

Nonlinear coordinate transformation allows scientists to analyze complex data sets and discover hidden patterns or relationships that may not be apparent in the original coordinate system. It also helps to simplify data and make it easier to interpret, especially in fields such as physics and engineering.

3. How is a nonlinear coordinate transformation performed?

A nonlinear coordinate transformation can be performed using various mathematical techniques, such as polynomial regression, principal component analysis, and neural networks. The specific method used will depend on the type of data and the desired outcome.

4. What are some applications of nonlinear coordinate transformation?

Nonlinear coordinate transformation has a wide range of applications in different scientific fields, including image processing, signal processing, data compression, and pattern recognition. It is also commonly used in machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform data into a more suitable format for training and prediction.

5. Are there any limitations to nonlinear coordinate transformation?

While nonlinear coordinate transformation can be a powerful tool in data analysis, it also has its limitations. For example, it may not be suitable for all types of data, and the choice of transformation can significantly impact the results. It also requires some level of knowledge and expertise in mathematics and data analysis to perform accurately.