Nonreflexive Relation ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the definition of a nonreflexive relation is a relation where \langle x,x \rangle \in R for some x but where there exist y such that \langle y, y \rangle \notin R.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading the book: "Discovering Modern Set Theory. I The Basics" (AMS) by Winfried Just and Martin Weese.

I am currently focused on Chapter 2: Partial Order Relations ...

I need some help with understanding the meaning of "nonreflexive relation"...

The section from J&W giving the various definitions of properties of binary relations is as follows:View attachment 7544Can someone please give the definition of a nonreflexive relation (as distinct form an irreflexive relation ... ) ...

Is a nonreflexive relation a relation where \(\displaystyle \langle x,x \rangle \in R\) for some \(\displaystyle x\) but where there exist \(\displaystyle y\) such that \(\displaystyle \langle y, y \rangle \notin R\) ... ... ?
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Nonreflexive means that the relation is not reflexive. That is there is an x such that $(x,x)\not\in S$.
Irreflective is when there is no x such that $(x,x)\in S$

Regards
David

In the example given, the relation S= {(Kathy, Pam), (Pam, Kathy), (John, Paul), (Paul, John), (Kathy, Kathy), (Pam, Pam), (John, John), (Paul, Paul)} is reflexive because "for every x in F, (x, x) is in S". Here, F is {Kathy, Pam, Paul, John} so to be reflexive S must contain each of (Kathy, Kathy), (Pam, Pam), (John, John), and (Paul, Paul). If we were to remove anyone of those, say remove (Pam, Pam) to get {(Kathy, Pam), (Pam, Kathy), (John, Paul), (Paul, John), (Kathy, Kathy), (John, John), (Paul, Paul)}, that would no longer be "reflexive".

Notice that this relation contains (Kathy, Pam) and (Pam, Kathy) as well as (John,Paul) and (Paul, John) so is "symmetric"- whenever a symmetric relation contains (x, y) it must also contain (y, x).

I will leave it to you to show that "whenever the relation contains (x, y) and (y, z) then it contains (x, z)". the "transitive property", so that, in fact, this is an "equivalence relation" which is made clear from the description of the relation as "(x, y) is in the relation if and only if x and y are the same gender".

HallsofIvy said:
In the example given, the relation S= {(Kathy, Pam), (Pam, Kathy), (John, Paul), (Paul, John), (Kathy, Kathy), (Pam, Pam), (John, John), (Paul, Paul)} is reflexive because "for every x in F, (x, x) is in S". Here, F is {Kathy, Pam, Paul, John} so to be reflexive S must contain each of (Kathy, Kathy), (Pam, Pam), (John, John), and (Paul, Paul). If we were to remove anyone of those, say remove (Pam, Pam) to get {(Kathy, Pam), (Pam, Kathy), (John, Paul), (Paul, John), (Kathy, Kathy), (John, John), (Paul, Paul)}, that would no longer be "reflexive".

Notice that this relation contains (Kathy, Pam) and (Pam, Kathy) as well as (John,Paul) and (Paul, John) so is "symmetric"- whenever a symmetric relation contains (x, y) it must also contain (y, x).

I will leave it to you to show that "whenever the relation contains (x, y) and (y, z) then it contains (x, z)". the "transitive property", so that, in fact, this is an "equivalence relation" which is made clear from the description of the relation as "(x, y) is in the relation if and only if x and y are the same gender".
Thanks Pereskia and HallsofIvy... I appreciate your help ...

Sorry for the late response ... have had to contend with other urgent matters ...

Peter

1. What is a nonreflexive relation?

A nonreflexive relation is a type of mathematical relation where an element is not related to itself. In other words, there are no self-connections in this type of relation.

2. How is a nonreflexive relation different from a reflexive relation?

A reflexive relation is a type of mathematical relation where every element is related to itself, while a nonreflexive relation does not have any self-connections. In other words, a nonreflexive relation is the opposite of a reflexive relation.

3. What are some examples of nonreflexive relations?

Some examples of nonreflexive relations include "is equal to" on the set of real numbers, "is a proper subset of" on the set of all sets, and "is a parent of" on the set of all people.

4. How can nonreflexive relations be represented?

Nonreflexive relations can be represented in various ways, such as using a directed graph, a matrix, or a set of ordered pairs.

5. What is the importance of studying nonreflexive relations?

Nonreflexive relations are important in mathematics and other fields, such as computer science and social sciences, as they help us understand and model complex systems and relationships. They also have applications in decision-making, data analysis, and problem-solving.