Nonrelativistic Limit Homework: Problem 6.2 - 1st Step

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, The variables sigma and sigma_1 are used in the expression x = a sigma/ sigma_1 to represent the spatial coordinates of an open string. Sigma_1 corresponds to the coordinate of the endpoint of the string and a represents the length of the string. The first step in solving this problem would be to determine the values of sigma and sigma_1, as well as the length of the string, in order to plug them into the given expression.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

http://books.google.com/books?id=Xm...42EpgKaxsi5Dw&sig=6cUrZKqmPMoe0QBRTSYNnipNRw4
For problem 6.2, in the expression x = a sigma/ sigma_1, sigma is the spatial parameter but what is sigma_1 and is a the x-coordinate of one endpoint of the string?

Also, can someone give the first step I should take in order to solve this problem?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
does my question make sense to people?

ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

http://books.google.com/books?id=Xm...42EpgKaxsi5Dw&sig=6cUrZKqmPMoe0QBRTSYNnipNRw4
For problem 6.2, in the expression x = a sigma/ sigma_1, sigma is the spatial parameter but what is sigma_1 and is a the x-coordinate of one endpoint of the string?

Also, can someone give the first step I should take in order to solve this problem?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

zwiebach uses the somewhat confusing notation that for an open string, sigma ranges from 0 to [itex] \sigma_1 [/itex] so [itex] \sigma_1 [/itex] is indeed the coordinate corresponding to the extremity of the string. Therefore x ranges from 0 to a (so a is the length of the string).

Related to Nonrelativistic Limit Homework: Problem 6.2 - 1st Step

1. What is the Nonrelativistic Limit Homework: Problem 6.2?

The Nonrelativistic Limit Homework: Problem 6.2 is a physics problem that involves finding the first step in solving a nonrelativistic limit equation.

2. What is a nonrelativistic limit equation?

A nonrelativistic limit equation is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of a system at speeds much lower than the speed of light. It is used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of objects at speeds that are non-relativistic, meaning they are not close to the speed of light.

3. What is the first step in solving a nonrelativistic limit equation?

The first step in solving a nonrelativistic limit equation is to identify all the variables and constants in the equation. This will help in determining the appropriate mathematical approach to solving the problem.

4. Why is the nonrelativistic limit important in physics?

The nonrelativistic limit is important in physics because it allows us to simplify complex equations and models by assuming that the speeds involved are much lower than the speed of light. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of objects in a given system.

5. How can I check my answer to Nonrelativistic Limit Homework: Problem 6.2?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also ask a peer or instructor to review your work and provide feedback.