Noob time-space thought problem

• Thread starter MarvinMartian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noob
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time-space as a 2D 'sheet' that can be deformed by objects with mass. The question is raised about whether pulling on one edge of the sheet would cause instantaneous movement throughout the entire sheet or if the tension created would result in a slower response in distant parts of the sheet. The response clarifies that gravity is caused by changes in the curvature of space-time and thus any changes, including gravitational waves, are presumed to travel at the speed of light.
MarvinMartian
this one bothers me - pls point out the flaw in my reasoning:

Time-space may be called a 'fabric', and may be depicted as a 2D 'sheet'. An object with mass deforms the sheet.

If i were to grab one edge of this 'inelastic sheet' and pull it 1 cm, would the movement would be instantaneous across the sheet .. i.e... anyone point of the sheet moves just 1 cm, but the distant edge, many light-years away, also *immediately* moves towards me 1 cm. too?

Or, would the tension I create warp the 'elastic sheet', and so cause my immediately surrounding fabric to move ~1 cm, but stretching the fabric so that the distant part only responded to the tug over some much longer time period, analogous to pulling a rubber sheet of the same size.

Would the transfer of this pull across the sheet be faster/slower/the same speed of light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't take the rubber sheet analogy too literally.

The very quick answer to your question is that curvature of space-time is what gravity is, so gravitational waves, and thus changes in the curvature, are presumed to travel at c.

ok thanks!

What is a "Noob time-space thought problem"?

A "Noob time-space thought problem" is a hypothetical scenario that involves manipulating the concepts of time and space. It is often used as a thought experiment to explore the implications and limitations of these concepts.

Why is it called a "Noob" time-space thought problem?

The term "Noob" is often used in gaming culture to refer to someone who is new or inexperienced. In this context, it is used to indicate that the problem is meant to challenge and engage the mind of someone who may not have a lot of knowledge or experience in the subject of time and space.

How do scientists use "Noob time-space thought problems"?

Scientists use "Noob time-space thought problems" as a tool to explore and better understand the complexities of time and space. They can also use these problems to test and refine existing theories or to develop new ones.

Are there any real-life applications for "Noob time-space thought problems"?

While "Noob time-space thought problems" are primarily used in theoretical and philosophical discussions, they can also have practical applications. For example, they can be used to help improve our understanding of time and space in fields such as physics, astronomy, and even computer science.

Are there any limitations to "Noob time-space thought problems"?

Like any thought experiment, "Noob time-space thought problems" have their limitations. They are based on hypothetical scenarios and do not necessarily reflect the realities of the physical world. It is important to approach these problems with a critical and open mind, and to recognize that they are simply tools for exploration and understanding.