Norm bounded Sets .... remarks by Garling in Section 11.2 Normed Spaces ....

In summary, the conversation is focused on Chapter 11 of D. J. H. Garling's book "A Course in Mathematical Analysis: Volume II: Metric and Topological Spaces, Functions of a Vector Variable". Specifically, the discussion centers around remarks made by Garling in Section 11.2 on page 311 regarding norm bounded sets. The conversation includes a question on how to formally and rigorously demonstrate the property \| \lambda f \|_\infty = \mid \lambda \mid \| f \|_\infty for a norm. The solution involves using Proposition 11.1.11 and justifying the steps taken.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading D. J. H. Garling's book: "A Course in Mathematical Analysis: Volume II: Metric and Topological Spaces, Functions of a Vector Variable" ... ...

I am focused on Chapter 11: Metric Spaces and Normed Spaces ... ...

I need some help in order to understand some remarks by Garling on norm bounded sets made in Section 11.2 on page 311 ... ...

The remarks by Garling made in Section 11.2 on page 311 ... ... read as follows:

View attachment 8995
In the above text from Garling we read the following ...

" ... Arguing as in Proposition 11.1.11,

\(\displaystyle \| f \|_\infty = d_\infty ( f, 0 ) = \text{sup} \{ \| f(s) \| \ : \ s \in S \} \)

is a norm on \(\displaystyle B_E(S)\) ... ... "I am able to prove two of the conditions for a norm, but am unsure how to formally and rigorously demonstrate that

\(\displaystyle \| \lambda f \|_\infty = \mid \lambda \mid \| f \|_\infty\)
Can someone please help ...
My thoughts so far are as follows:

\(\displaystyle \| \lambda f \|_\infty = d_\infty ( \lambda f, 0 ) = \text{sup} \{ d ( ( \lambda f ) (s) , 0 ) \}\)

\(\displaystyle = \text{sup} \{ d ( \lambda f (s) , 0 ) \}\) ... ...

But where to from here ... and how do we justify the steps we take?
Hope someone can help ...

Peter
==========================================================================================
The above post mentions Proposition 11.1.11 ... so I am providing text of the same plus some relevant preceding remarks ... as follows ...
View attachment 8996
View attachment 8997
Hope that helps ...

Peter

Attachments

• Garling - Remarks in Section 11.2 on norm bounded sets .png
    Garling - Remarks in Section 11.2 on norm bounded sets .png
    25.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Garling - 1 - Proposition 11.1.11 ... ... PART 1 .png
    Garling - 1 - Proposition 11.1.11 ... ... PART 1 .png
    22 KB · Views: 62
  • Garling - 2 - Proposition 11.1.11 ... ... PART 2 .png
    Garling - 2 - Proposition 11.1.11 ... ... PART 2 .png
    17.7 KB · Views: 61
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am able to prove two of the conditions for a norm, but am unsure how to formally and rigorously demonstrate that

\(\displaystyle \| \lambda f \|_\infty = \mid \lambda \mid \| f \|_\infty\)

My thoughts so far are as follows:

\(\displaystyle \| \lambda f \|_\infty = d_\infty ( \lambda f, 0 ) = \text{sup} \{ d ( ( \lambda f ) (s) , 0 ) \}\)

\(\displaystyle = \text{sup} \{ d ( \lambda f (s) , 0 ) \}\) ... ...
$d( ( \lambda f ) (s) , 0 ) = \|( \lambda f ) (s) - 0 \| = \| \lambda (f (s)) \| = |\lambda|\|f(s)\|$.

Then when you take the sup, $\sup\{ d( ( \lambda f ) (s) , 0 )\} = \sup\{|\lambda|\|f(s)\|\} = |\lambda|\sup\{\|f(s)\|\} = |\lambda|\|f\|_\infty.$

Opalg said:
$d( ( \lambda f ) (s) , 0 ) = \|( \lambda f ) (s) - 0 \| = \| \lambda (f (s)) \| = |\lambda|\|f(s)\|$.

Then when you take the sup, $\sup\{ d( ( \lambda f ) (s) , 0 )\} = \sup\{|\lambda|\|f(s)\|\} = |\lambda|\sup\{\|f(s)\|\} = |\lambda|\|f\|_\infty.$
Thanks Opalg ... appreciate the help ...

Peter

1. What is a normed space?

A normed space is a mathematical concept in functional analysis that is used to measure the size or length of vectors. It is defined as a vector space equipped with a norm, which is a function that assigns a non-negative value to each vector in the space. This allows for the concept of distance and convergence to be defined in the space.

2. What is a norm bounded set?

A norm bounded set is a subset of a normed space in which all the vectors have a norm that is less than or equal to a certain value. This means that the set is contained within a certain "ball" or region in the space, and all vectors within that set have a limited magnitude.

3. What is the significance of norm bounded sets in functional analysis?

Norm bounded sets play a crucial role in functional analysis as they allow for the study of continuity, convergence, and compactness in normed spaces. They also provide a way to define important concepts such as bounded linear operators and Banach spaces.

4. How are norm bounded sets related to compact sets?

A norm bounded set is a subset of a normed space that is contained within a finite "ball" or region. A compact set, on the other hand, is a subset of a topological space that is closed and bounded. In a normed space, a norm bounded set is compact if and only if the space is finite-dimensional.

5. Can you give an example of a norm bounded set?

One example of a norm bounded set is the unit ball in a normed space. This is the set of all vectors with a norm less than or equal to 1. In a two-dimensional space with the Euclidean norm, this would be the unit circle. In a three-dimensional space with the Euclidean norm, this would be the unit sphere.