Normal and inverse trig functions cancel each other out

In summary, normal and inverse trigonometric functions may not always cancel each other out, depending on the interval chosen as the domain. In addition, functions must be both injective and surjective to have a true inverse. This is not always the case for trigonometric functions, such as sin(x) and tan(x), as they are not always injective. To solve equations involving trigonometric functions, it is important to consider the restrictions and periodicity of the functions.
TSN79
I'm a bit confused at the moment. All my books say that normal and inverse trig.functions cancel each other out like this

[tex]\sin(\arcsin(x))=x[/tex] and [tex]\arcsin(sin(x))=x[/tex]

But when I try this out on my calculator - TI-89 - it only wants to recognize the first equation as being equal to x. Is that true or...? :confused:

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
For a function to have an inverse, it needs to be injective and surjective.
The problem is that sin(x) is generally not injective, however it is injective on (eg) the interval [itex][-\pi/2,\pi/2][/itex]. This interval can be chosen as the domain of sin(x) and becomes the range of arcsin(x), so for x in this interval the second equation will hold as well.

Last edited:
But since my calculator always accepts sin(arcsin(x)) as being equal to x, does that mean that this equation is always true no matter what? :confused:

That's funky. You cannot take the arcsin of x if [itex]|x|>1[/itex], since such an x wouldn't be in the range of sin(x).
My calculator gives an error, as it should.
(Unless you use complex numbers).

Think it through. Try x=360 degrees. sin(360 deg.)=0, but arcsin(0)=0. So
arcsin(sin(x)) is not equal to x. OTOH, sin(arcsin(x))=x

Another function that does not have a "true" inverse is f(x)= x2 and you might find it easier to look at that function (you can do the calculations yourself rather than use a calculator).

If we restrict the domain to non-negative numbers, THEN we can use f-1(x)= √(x) as the inverse.

√(x) only makes sense when x is positive. For any positive number, if you first take the square root and then square, you get x back again: f(f-1(x))= x.
In particular, if x= 4, f-1(4)= √(4)= 2 and f(2)= 22= 4 again.

However, f(x) is defined for x positive or negative. If x= 2, f(2)= 22= 4 and then f-1(4)= √(4)= 2. In that case, f-1[\sup](f(x))= x.

But if x= -2, f(-2)= (-2)2= 4 and then f-1(4)= √(4)= 2.
In that case, f-1(f(x)) is NOT equal to x.

sin(arcsin(x))=x true while arcsin(sin(x))=x is not true.

sin(arcsin(x))=x does not make sense if |x|>1, since it is undefined.
It's only true if |x|<=1.

So how would I go about it to find the solutions for let's say tan(x/2)=0 ?
I thought I could make it easier by using arctan(tan(x/2))=x/2, but you're telling me that this wouldn't work? What if I decided to look only at a part of tan(x/2) that is increasing or decreasing? Let's say from -pi to pi. Would this work? Because that's the requirement for a trig.function to have an inverse isn't it? Would arctan(tan(x/2))=x/2 be true then?

tan(x) has the same problem: It isn't injective.
However, it IS injective if it is restricted to the interval [itex](-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]
Then for x in this interval [itex]\arctan(\tan(x))=x[/itex] holds.
(Notice that range of arctan(x) is [itex](-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex])

If you wish to solve [itex]\tan(x/2)=0[/itex], then using arctan will give you an answer that lies in the interval [itex](-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]. (In this case x=0).
For a complete answer, you need additional info.
In this case you can use that the tangent is periodic (period [itex]\pi[/itex])
so that [itex]x/2=k\pi[/itex] where k is an integer will give the general solution).

Last edited:
Wouldn't period of tan(x/2) be 2pi? When the interval of tan(x) is restricted to <-pi/2 , pi/2>, the range of arctan(x) is the same. But when the interval of tan(x/2) is <-pi , pi>, but now the range of arctan(x/2) is not the same. Why is this? Shouldn't the range of arctan(x/2) the same as the interval of tan(x/2)?

Yes, the period of tan(x/2) is [itex]2\pi[/itex] (I meant the period of tan(x) in my post).

If [itex]y=\tan(x/2)[/itex]. Then for [itex]x \in (-\pi,\pi)[/itex]:
[tex]\arctan(y)=x/2[/tex]
[tex]x=2\arctan(y)[/tex]
So the inverse function of tan(x/2) is 2arctan(x) and has range [itex](-\pi,\pi)[/itex]

Related to Normal and inverse trig functions cancel each other out

What does it mean when normal and inverse trig functions cancel each other out?

When normal and inverse trig functions are applied to the same value in succession, they cancel each other out and the result is the original value. This is because the inverse function "undoes" the action of the normal function.

Why do normal and inverse trig functions cancel each other out?

This is a fundamental property of inverse functions. Inverse functions are defined as functions that "undo" the action of another function, so when applied in succession, they cancel each other out and the result is the original value.

What are some examples of normal and inverse trig functions canceling each other out?

An example would be applying the sine function followed by the inverse sine function to a value. Another example would be applying the tangent function followed by the inverse tangent function.

Can normal and inverse trig functions always cancel each other out?

Yes, they can always cancel each other out as long as the functions are applied in succession to the same value. However, it is important to note that the domain and range restrictions of the functions must be taken into account.

How is the cancellation of normal and inverse trig functions useful in mathematics and science?

This property is useful in solving trigonometric equations and in simplifying expressions involving trigonometric functions. It is also important in understanding the relationship between normal and inverse trig functions and how they can be used to find missing information in a problem.