Normal forms of polynomials over a semiring

In summary, a commutative semiring is a triple (R,+,.) where (R,+) is a commutative monoid and (R,.) is a commutative semigroup. The n-variate indeterminate is a free monoid on n letters and can be written in a compact form as {\mathbf x}^{{\mathbf \alpha}}. The polynomial semiring in variables over R, denoted as R[x_1,\ldots,x_n], consists of sums of the form \sum_i r_i {\mathbf x}^{{\mathbf \alpha}_i} with coefficients in R and n-variate indeterminates. Two polynomials are equal if and only if all
icantadd
Let R be a commutative semiring. That is a triple (R,+,.) such that (R,+) is a commutative monoid and (R,.) is a commutative semigroup. Let [tex] {\mathbf \alpha}_i = \alpha_1,\alpha_2,\ldots,\alpha_n [/tex]. The n-variate indeterminate is just free monoid on n letters. However, it is common to introduce notation for indeterminates that makes them easier to work with. This notation is that we write every element in the form [tex] x_1^{\alpha_1}\cdots x_n^{\alpha_n} = {\mathbf x}^{{\mathbf \alpha}} [/tex], and [tex] x_i^0 = 1 [/tex], so that the string in the free monoid on 4 letters (for example), [tex] x_2x_3 [/tex] is written as [tex] x_1^0x_2^1x_3^1x_4^0 [/tex] or in the compact form [tex] {\mathbf x}^{0,1,1,0} [/tex]Define [tex] R[x_1,\ldots,x_n] [/tex] to be the polynomial semiring in variables over R where
[tex] R[x_1,\ldots,x_n] = \left\{ \sum_i r_i {\mathbf x}^{{\mathbf \alpha}_i} | r_i \in R , {\mathbf x}^{\mathbf \alpha}_i \text{ is an n-variate indeterminate} \right \} [/tex] with the where
[tex] (\sum_i r_i {\mathbf x}^{\mathbf \alpha}_i) + (\sum_i s_i {\mathbf x}^{{\mathbf \alpha}_i}) = \sum_i (r_i+s_i){\mathbf x}^{{\mathbf \alpha}_i} [/tex]
[tex] ((\sum_i r_i {\mathbf x}^{{\mathbf \alpha}_i}) )( (\sum_i s_i {\mathbf x}^{{\mathbf \alpha}_i})) = \sum_k (\sum_I[i=0}^kr_i s_i){\mathbf x}^{{\mathbf \alpha}_k} [/tex]
Nothing other than sums and products defined under the above operations are in [tex] R[x_1,\ldots,x_n] [/tex]

Now, it seems reasonable to assert that two polynomials [tex] p = \sum_i r_i {\mathbf x}^{{\mathbf \alpha}_i} [/tex] and [tex] q = \sum_i s_i {\mathbf x}^{{\mathbf \alpha}_i} [/tex] are equal iff [tex] r_i = s_i [/tex] for each i. It is also reasonable to assert that polynomials in semiring are equal when viewed as functions of [tex] R^n [/tex] to R. However, we require that all products and sums are in the semiring. So if we want the two reasonable notions of polynomial equality to coincide we must be able to assert that normal form is well defined, that is, if p and q (as above) are normal forms for a polynomial, f, then [tex] r_i = s_i [/tex] for each i.
But we do not have additive cancellations in general, so suppose suppose that p and q are two normal forms for some polynomial f. Then, we can certainly show that [tex] r_0 = s_0 [/tex]. But withouth the property that if [tex] a+b=a+c \Rightarrow b=c [/tex] How would one show the other coefficients are equal?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a rather specific situation. Generally a polynomial equals another if and only if all coefficients are the same. This has nothing to do with inserting values. Inserting values is usually a ring homomorphism, will say I don't know what your restrictions to a semiring will damage, and should be regarded as such. And generally you cannot conclude that pre-images are identical if their images are. You have to show that the insertion or evaluation homomorphism is injective. I don't think this is possible without further assumptions on ##R##.

1. What are normal forms of polynomials over a semiring?

Normal forms of polynomials over a semiring are the simplest and most standard representations of polynomials. They are typically used for efficient computation and comparison of polynomials.

2. How do normal forms of polynomials over a semiring differ from regular polynomials?

Normal forms of polynomials over a semiring are different from regular polynomials because they follow strict rules and conventions for ordering and simplifying terms. This allows for consistent and efficient computation, unlike regular polynomials which may have different forms and representations.

3. What are some common examples of semirings used for normal forms of polynomials?

Some common examples of semirings used for normal forms of polynomials include the Boolean semiring, the tropical semiring, and the min-plus semiring. These semirings have specific rules and properties that make them suitable for representing and computing polynomials in a normalized form.

4. How are normal forms of polynomials over a semiring useful in scientific research?

Normal forms of polynomials over a semiring are useful in scientific research because they provide a standardized and efficient way to represent and manipulate polynomials. This can be particularly helpful in fields such as computer science, mathematics, and physics where polynomials are commonly used for modeling and analysis.

5. Can normal forms of polynomials over a semiring be converted back to regular polynomials?

Yes, normal forms of polynomials over a semiring can be converted back to regular polynomials. This can be done by applying the inverse operations used to simplify and normalize the polynomial in the first place. However, it is important to note that the resulting regular polynomial may not be in the same form as the original polynomial, as normal forms have specific conventions for ordering and simplifying terms.