Normal grades for math majors?

In summary: I can't speak for everyone, but I've heard that same story from multiple people.It's definitely possible, but I don't know of anyone who's actually done it.
altcmdesc
I'm currently a mathematics major taking an honors multivariable calculus/linear algebra course. My most recent midterm covering differentiability of multivariable functions, derivatives of matrix functions, chain rule, etc. was an 81. Granted, 4 points were lost only due to a simple calculation error (some more were lost by not rigorously proving a function was continuous at a point). I'm worried due to the fact that my proof on the exam (f:R^n->R^m, prove if f is differentiable at a, it is continuous at a) received a 10/20. Is this exam indicative of troubles ahead? Is it normal for math majors to receive scores like 81/100 on exams like these? I'm worried that I may not have what it takes because of this.

What are some of your experiences with grades? How did it affect your education in mathematics?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In an honors math class, I'd think a B would be pretty nice...

Check out how the other kids are doing. If everyone else aced the test with 95-100%, I would be worried, but it's much more likely that there's a typical range of A's, B's and C's.

You're doing fine. Although, if you're truly worried about your grade on a proof, go back and spend some time with it so that you really understand what you did wrong. Once you've received the grade, there's really nothing you can do except work harder/smarter for the next test, so don't fret about your performance.

Think of it this way: if you didn't "have what it takes," you would have bombed the test. You got over 80% of the points, so you must clearly be doing something right.

Last edited:
The only real way to learn how to write a good proof is through experience. Keep practicing and working your way through material. Do what every other math major has to do: buy Rudin and work your way through it. When you come to a Theorem, prove it yourself. If you can't, read a line of the proof and try again.

What was the class average?

The class average was 80 in my class of 21 students. I just feel like I should be preforming better.

I'll be taking a Rudin-based Honors Analysis course probably my junior year. Next year I'll probably be taking Honors Algebra and another course (intro to topology and differential equations, probably) both semesters, as I've heard algebra is easier to grasp than a lot of analysis.

Just do your best and keep pursuing math. Try not to get too bogged down with grades and all that.

It really depends on the class. One of my math professors tells a story where he was taking some course (I forget what), and he had trouble with the first test. After getting it back, he saw it was graded 17 out of 100, with a note telling him to see the professor after class.

Needless to say that he was in a right state of panic! He thought he had gotten in way over his head, and had no business being in the class... anyways, he goes to talk to the professor after class, who tells him "Are you sure you're in the right class? You did far better than everyone else, maybe you should take something more challenging?"

What were some of your final grades? Lowest grades on midterms, etc.? If you don't mind, of course.

Hurkyl said:
It really depends on the class. One of my math professors tells a story where he was taking some course (I forget what), and he had trouble with the first test. After getting it back, he saw it was graded 17 out of 100, with a note telling him to see the professor after class.

Needless to say that he was in a right state of panic! He thought he had gotten in way over his head, and had no business being in the class... anyways, he goes to talk to the professor after class, who tells him "Are you sure you're in the right class? You did far better than everyone else, maybe you should take something more challenging?"
We call that the Keisler Curve at my university. A few semesters back someone in Cal 1 got a 60 on a test by handing in a blank sheet of paper.

A few semesters back someone in Cal 1 got a 60 on a test by handing in a blank sheet of paper.

Wait! Is that true? Sounds like an urban legend or something.

Related to Normal grades for math majors?

1. What is considered a "normal" grade for math majors?

The definition of a "normal" grade for math majors can vary depending on the institution and the specific math courses being taken. Generally, a grade of C or above is considered passing for most math courses. However, some math departments may have higher expectations and consider a B or above to be a normal grade.

2. Are math majors expected to have higher grades than other majors?

There is no universal expectation for math majors to have higher grades than students in other majors. However, since math is a challenging and rigorous subject, it is not uncommon for math majors to have higher grades compared to other majors. This is because math majors are often highly motivated and have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

3. How do math grades affect future career opportunities for math majors?

Math grades can play a significant role in future career opportunities for math majors. Many employers in fields such as finance, data analysis, and engineering look for candidates with strong math skills, which can be demonstrated through high math grades. Additionally, graduate schools may consider math grades when evaluating applicants for advanced math or science programs.

4. What can a math major do if they are struggling to maintain good grades?

If a math major is struggling to maintain good grades, it is important to seek help from professors, tutors, or study groups. It may also be helpful to review study strategies and time management techniques. Additionally, math majors can consider taking advantage of resources such as academic advising and counseling services offered by their institution.

5. Are there any tips for achieving good grades in math courses?

Some tips for achieving good grades in math courses include attending all classes and actively participating, completing assignments on time, seeking help when needed, and actively studying and practicing problems. It can also be helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and to regularly review material to reinforce understanding.