Normal reaction of a circulating object on a planet

In summary, the normal reaction of an object circulating a planet is equal to the gravitational force minus the centripetal force. This is because the net force in the case of centripetal acceleration is equal to the centripetal force. The centripetal force is not a separate force, but rather the resultant force of the normal force and gravity. It is important to think in terms of ΣF = ma, where a = acentripetal, rather than listing the centripetal force as a separate force.
Janiceleong26
Why is the normal reaction of an object circulating a planet, equals to the gravitational force minus the centripetal force? I thought both gravitational force and centripetal force are directed towards the centre of the circular path i.e. in the same direction, therefore having, normal reaction = gravitational force + centripetal force. But instead, it's minus. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Janiceleong26

Frankly, I can't make heads nor tails of it, either way. Some context would be useful.
Can you show us an example of where you saw that formulation? Maybe a full question or paragraph?

Janiceleong26 said:
Why is the normal reaction of an object circulating a planet,
I assume you mean an object resting on the surface of a rotating planet.

Janiceleong26 said:
I thought both gravitational force and centripetal force are directed towards the centre of the circular path i.e. in the same direction, therefore having, normal reaction = gravitational force + centripetal force. But instead, it's minus. Why?
Newton's 2nd law: ΣF = ma

Since the acceleration is centripetal, we call the net force the "centripetal force". The only forces acting are the normal force (which acts outward) and the gravitational force (which acts centripetally). ("centripetal force" is not a separate force.) Taking the radially inward direction as positive: ΣF = Weight - Normal = m acentripetal.

:confused::confused:
Bandersnatch said:
Hi Janiceleong26

Frankly, I can't make heads nor tails of it, either way. Some context would be useful.
Can you show us an example of where you saw that formulation? Maybe a full question or paragraph?
Here it is :
Q1iii)

image.jpg

This is the answer :

image.jpg

Normal reaction = GMm/R^2 - mRω^2
I know that GMm/R^2 is the gravitational force between the planet and the object, and mRω^2 is the centripetal force required for the circular motion of the small mass, but why normal reaction exerted by the planet on the mass is the difference between the gravitational force and the centripetal force ? I thought gravitational force and centripetal force are both acting at the same direction , so both having the same sign. Instead one is negative and the other positive. So sorry for not showing an example at my earlier post, my bad. Thanks for the reply too

Janiceleong26 said:
I know that GMm/R^2 is the gravitational force between the planet and the object, and mRω^2 is the centripetal force required for the circular motion of the small mass, but why normal reaction exerted by the planet on the mass is the difference between the gravitational force and the centripetal force ? I thought gravitational force and centripetal force are both acting at the same direction , so both having the same sign. Instead one is negative and the other positive.
Please review my reply above.

Doc Al said:
I assume you mean an object resting on the surface of a rotating planet.Newton's 2nd law: ΣF = ma

Since the acceleration is centripetal, we call the net force the "centripetal force". The only forces acting are the normal force (which acts outward) and the gravitational force (which acts centripetally). ("centripetal force" is not a separate force.) Taking the radially inward direction as positive: ΣF = Weight - Normal = m acentripetal.

Yeah , it's on the surface of the planet. And thanks so much, I got it now. But why is the centripetal force, the net force?

Janiceleong26 said:
But why is the centripetal force, the net force?
It's the other way around. For an object to move in circles, the net force must be equal to the centripetal force.

Janiceleong26 said:
But why is the centripetal force, the net force?
Don't think of "centripetal force" as a force. It's just the name we give to the net force in the case of centripetal acceleration. If you were asked to list all the forces acting on the object, you would not list "centripetal force" (or at least you'd better not!). Best to think in terms of ΣF = ma, where a = acentripetal.

Likes Qwertywerty
Bandersnatch said:
It's the other way around. For an object to move in circles, the net force must be equal to the centripetal force.

I see, thanks. So centripetal force isn't a force that acts on the mass ? It's the resultant force of the two forces acting on it, the gravitational force and the normal reaction force ? Why is it a separate force?

Doc Al said:
Don't think of "centripetal force" as a force. It's just the name we give to the net force in the case of centripetal acceleration. If you were asked to list all the forces acting on the object, you would not list "centripetal force" (or at least you'd better not!). Best to think in terms of ΣF = ma, where a = acentripetal.

Wow, I see I see. Thanks, it was clear. :)

Janiceleong26 said:
So centripetal force isn't a force that acts on the mass ? It's the resultant force of the two forces acting on it, the gravitational force and the normal reaction force ?
Right.

Janiceleong26 said:
Why is it a separate force?
It's not a separate force!

The only forces acting on the object (in your example) are the normal force and gravity. That's it!

Doc Al said:
Right.It's not a separate force!

The only forces acting on the object (in your example) are the normal force and gravity. That's it!

Oh ok, understood. Thanks so much !

Imo, it could be worth thinking in terms of the Centripetal force being 'Provided By' Gravity. If it's in a circular orbit, the mg force is 'just right' and so are the velocity and the radius When the orbit is not circular, the Centripetal component of g will sometimes be greater and sometimes less than the required value of centripetal force to give circular motion. "Centripetal" only means 'towards the centre' and is, perhaps, an easier concept for rigid spinning objects.

Likes Janiceleong26

What is the normal reaction of a circulating object on a planet?

The normal reaction of a circulating object on a planet is the force exerted by the planet on the object in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

How does the mass of the object affect the normal reaction on a planet?

The mass of the object does not affect the normal reaction on a planet. The normal reaction is solely dependent on the gravitational force between the planet and the object.

What factors can affect the normal reaction of a circulating object on a planet?

The normal reaction of a circulating object on a planet can be affected by the mass and density of the planet, the mass and velocity of the object, and the distance between the object and the planet's center of mass.

Is the normal reaction of a circulating object on a planet always perpendicular to the object's motion?

Yes, the normal reaction of a circulating object on a planet is always perpendicular to the object's motion. This is due to the fact that the gravitational force between the planet and the object acts in the direction of the center of the planet.

Can the normal reaction of a circulating object on a planet be greater than the gravitational force between the object and the planet?

No, the normal reaction of a circulating object on a planet cannot be greater than the gravitational force between the object and the planet. This is because the normal reaction is a result of the gravitational force and is always equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.