Normally distributed data errors

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of normally distributed data errors and how it relates to the data being normally distributed. The speaker also brings up the idea of using an equation to predict a person's height from their weight. The question is not clearly expressed, but the response clarifies that the term "data error" depends on the context and how it relates to the average or predicted values. The speaker understands the response and thanks the other person for their help.
James.L

Homework Statement

Hello

If my data errors are normally distributed, is this the same as the data being normally distributed? I mean, by "normally distributed data errors" is meant that with 68% confidence the data lies within the true value?

Physics news on Phys.org

You aren't expressing your question clearly. It isn't clear whether you have a set of measurements (such the heights of various persons) or a set of vectors of measurements (such as the height and weight of various persons). So it isn't clear what a "data error" would be.

For example, if we use the rather strange terminology that the average height h_bar of the population is the "true" height, then for a person's height h, we could call h - h_bar an "error". However, I don't think most people regard deviating from the average as an error.

If we have an equation H(.) that attempts to predict a persons height from their weight then for a given person with weight w and height h, we could call the quantity (h - H(w)) an "error" since it is an error in in how the equation predicts the weight.

Last edited:

I think I get it. My original question got answered by your post, even though my question is poorly formulated.

Thanks!

Related to Normally distributed data errors

1. What is normally distributed data?

Normally distributed data refers to a type of data that follows a bell-shaped curve when graphed. This means that the majority of data points fall near the mean or average, with fewer data points falling further away from the mean.

2. Why is it important to have normally distributed data in scientific research?

Having normally distributed data is important because it allows for the use of certain statistical tests and methods that assume a normal distribution. These tests can provide more accurate and reliable results when analyzing data.

3. How can I determine if my data is normally distributed?

There are a few ways to determine if your data is normally distributed. One way is to visually inspect the data using a histogram or a box plot. Another way is to use a statistical test, such as the Shapiro-Wilk test, which compares the data to a theoretical normal distribution.

4. What if my data is not normally distributed?

If your data is not normally distributed, there are still statistical tests and methods that can be used. These include non-parametric tests or transformations, such as log or square root, to make the data more normally distributed.

5. Are there any potential issues with normally distributed data?

One potential issue with normally distributed data is that extreme outliers can significantly impact the results and interpretation of statistical tests. It is important to identify and address any outliers before analyzing the data. Additionally, if the data is not truly normally distributed, it can lead to inaccurate conclusions and misinterpretations of the results.