North Korea Tensions: 48 Hr Ultimatum from North

• News
  • Thread starter Student100
  • Start date
In summary: The south has said they won't stop the propaganda broadcasts, so it looks like additional small skirmishes are likely.In summary, the North has given the South 48 hours to cease propaganda broadcasts or else they will shell the South. It's unclear if the North is actually capable of winning a conflict. The people in the North are taught to be fearful of the US and SK, and that US ships are always nearby. It seems like the North is using these small confrontations to keep the population in line.
Student100
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Looks like they're exchanging fire again, and the North has given the South 48 hours to cease propaganda broadcasts: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/20/asia/koreas-tensions/

Personally I wait for the day the North miscalculates and over reacts with their saber rattling, the US should have liberated the North decades ago on purely humanitarian grounds.

I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon though, the North depends on businesses as usual to remain in power.

Physics news on Phys.org
Student100 said:
North depends on businesses as usual to remain in power.
Yeesss, and at the same time this is the third generation of "loose gun on deck." It's not obvious that the kid is "all there," and it is obvious that no one in the North Korean government can tell him "No" and make it stick.

Student100 said:
I've been to the DMZ but never into the north, it'll be interesting to hear what his thoughts are.
I've been on both sides. DPRK was one of my most interesting trips.

Likes Student100
Greg Bernhardt said:
I've been on both sides :smile:

What's it like on the other side? :wink:

Student100 said:
What's it like on the other side? :wink:
I spent two weeks over there 4 years ago. They showed me what they wanted me to see. Told me what they wanted me to hear. I constantly debated with myself on what was real and what was for show. I think there is equal fear and brainwashing/ignorance in the population. It's all very fascinating but sad.

Likes Student100
Student100 said:
Personally I wait for the day the North miscalculates and over reacts with their saber rattling, the US should have liberated the North decades ago on purely humanitarian grounds.
And Seoul will be shelled into oblivion

The DPRK use these encounters to feed internal propaganda and patriotism. The US and SK are the boogeymen necessary for their system to work. They are taught that US ships are always right around the corner and that SK is a hell hole. Like the Nazi's, North Koreans are taught they are the pure breed.

I've also never felt safer and the general people are very kind. As always it's the government that screws things up.

Likes Student100
Greg Bernhardt said:
The DPRK use these encounters to feed internal propaganda and patriotism. The US and SK are the boogeymen necessary for their system to work. They are taught that US ships are always right around the corner and that SK is a hell hole. Like the Nazi's, North Koreans are taught they are the pure breed.

Yeah, the North Korean government definitely depends on the rhetoric and saber rattling to stay in power. That's why they use that tactic and small scale confrontations so often. I don't think Kim is crazy or delusional enough to really think he could win a conflict.

And Seoul will be shelled into oblivion

Or the so the DPRK like's to remind everyone. :smile:

The sad part is that plenty of innocent people would die in a conflict, but generations of humans rights abuses in the North, that appear are going to continue indefinitely, might be the greater evil.

I spent two weeks over there 4 years ago. They showed me what they wanted me to see. Told me what they wanted me to hear. I constantly debated with myself on what was real and what was for show. I think there is equal fear and brainwashing/ignorance in the population. It's all very fascinating but sad.

Very interesting, I would feel completely out of my skin in the North. It would definitely be a harrowing experience.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I've also never felt safer and the general people are very kind. As always it's the government that screws things up.

Isn't that always the truth.

The south has said they won't stop the propaganda broadcasts, so it looks like additional small skirmishes are likely.

Student100 said:
I don't think Kim is crazy or delusional enough to really think he could win a conflict.

Agreed, they are not stupid. All they want is for status quo of luxury for the elite.

Student100 said:
The sad part is that plenty of innocent people would die in a conflict, but generations of humans rights abuses in the North, that appear are going to continue indefinitely, might be the greater evil.

It will slowly change. Cell phone smuggling and border radios allow information to get in. The people just need the information. Doubt will start to creep in and then change can happen.

Student100 said:
Very interesting, I would feel completely out of my skin in the North. It would definitely be a harrowing experience.

It's certainly intimidating at first, but you have to go via a chinese tour group. They take care of everything for you and you're never alone.

Student100 said:
propaganda broadcasts:
prop·a·gan·da
ˌpräpəˈɡandə/
noun
  1. 1.
    derogatory
    information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.
CNN is only half right in using the term to label the S. Korean broadcasts. The broadcasts no doubt have a particular point of view, but I disagree they are misleading, at all, in claiming that Kim Un is doing a lousy job and that a better life is available in S. Korea.

Last edited:
Latest timeline: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/the-latest-on-koreas-n-korea-says-ready-for-all-out-war/2015/08/21/8bcd59c2-4865-11e5-9f53-d1e3ddfd0cda_story.html

The deadline came and went, with the two entering into high level talks.Talks are set to resume today at 3pm local time.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the current situation with North Korea's ultimatum?

The current situation is that North Korea has issued a 48-hour ultimatum to South Korea, threatening to demolish the inter-Korean liaison office and take military action if defectors continue to send anti-North Korea leaflets across the border.

2. Why is North Korea issuing an ultimatum to South Korea?

North Korea is issuing an ultimatum to South Korea because it views the leaflets as a violation of the inter-Korean agreements to cease all hostile acts and propaganda activities.

3. What are the potential consequences of North Korea's ultimatum?

The potential consequences of North Korea's ultimatum include an increase in tensions between North and South Korea, the demolition of the inter-Korean liaison office, and the possibility of military action being taken by North Korea.

4. How is the international community responding to the ultimatum from North Korea?

The international community has expressed concern over the escalating tensions between North and South Korea and has called for restraint and dialogue to resolve the issue peacefully. The United States has stated that it is closely monitoring the situation and is committed to the security of South Korea.

5. What steps can be taken to de-escalate the tensions between North and South Korea?

To de-escalate the tensions, both North and South Korea could engage in dialogue and work towards implementing the inter-Korean agreements to cease all hostile acts and propaganda activities. The international community can also play a role in facilitating peaceful communication and encouraging both sides to find a peaceful resolution.