Not able to apply derviatives to a simple situation

• Thread starter musicgold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apply
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of sensitivity in a business's operating margin and the process of differentiating equations. It highlights the confusion about the derivative and clarifies that the derivative is a ratio, not a percentage. The conversation also addresses a sub question about differentiating an equation with a constant and confirms the correctness of the given derivative.
musicgold
Hi,

I am confused by this relatively simple problem.

The operating margin of a business = (Revenue – costs)/Revenue
M = (R-C)/R = 1 – C/R

Now I wish to find the sensitivity of M to changes in R. So I try to differentiate the equation by R

dM/dR = C/R^2

But this equation doesn’t make any sense to me. For example, consider this figures: R=100, C=38,
If R increases by 1%, M increases by 0.38%.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative is not a percentage, it is a ratio:
If R= 100, C= 38 then M= 1- 38/100= .62. If R= 101, C= 38 then M=1- 38/101=.6238 so M has increased by .0038 which, divided by R, not M, is .38

Thanks HallsofIvy, but I am still confused.

When R increases by 1%, M increases by 0.38%. Thus the rate of change is 0.38.
But this answer still doesn't match with the derivative (dM/dR = C/R^2).

I also have a sub question.

How would you differentiate the following equation with R, where C is a constant. I am interested in the notation. Is my notation correct?

N = R - C

dN/dR = R * dR/dR

musicgold said:
I also have a sub question.

How would you differentiate the following equation with R, where C is a constant. I am interested in the notation. Is my notation correct?

N = R - C

dN/dR = R * dR/dR
No, it isn't. Again, the derivative of the constant, C, is 0 so dN/dR= dR/dR= 1.

Thanks.

Do you think the following derivative is correct?

M = (R-C)/R = 1 – C/R

dM/dR = C/R^2

musicgold said:
Thanks.

Do you think the following derivative is correct?

M = (R-C)/R = 1 – C/R

dM/dR = C/R^2
Yes, it's correct.

Thanks.

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variables. It is used to calculate the slope of a curve at a specific point.

Why am I not able to apply derivatives to a simple situation?

There could be several reasons for this. One possible reason is that the situation may not have a well-defined function or equation that can be differentiated. Another reason could be that the function is not continuous or differentiable at the point of interest.

Can derivatives be applied to any type of function?

No, derivatives can only be applied to functions that are continuous and differentiable. This means that the function must have a defined value at all points and have a continuous slope without any sudden changes.

How are derivatives used in science?

Derivatives are used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. They are used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion, to determine the rate of reaction in chemical processes, and to analyze the behavior of complex systems in economics.

Are there any real-life applications of derivatives?

Yes, derivatives have numerous real-life applications. Some common examples include calculating the slope of a hill for road construction, determining the maximum and minimum points of a rollercoaster track for safety purposes, and analyzing stock market trends for investment decisions.