Deriving formula for kinetic energy

billard
TL;DR Summary
Issue deriving 1/2 *mv^2 from some pre-assumed equations
Hello! I am new to the differential version of classical physics, and I am trying to work how to derive kinetic energy from some pre-assumed equations:

Assume that we know: ##\ddot{z} = 0## and ##m\ddot{\textbf{r}} \cdot \dot{\textbf{r}} = 0##This results in $$\frac{1}{2}m\dot{r}^2 = W = const.$$

How is the kinetic energy given here with our pre-assumptions? I am sure this is very simple, forgive me, I am a beginner.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work done per time is innerproduct of Force F and velocity v. F =ma. When no work done, you can deduce that KE is conserved.

Last edited:
billard said:
TL;DR Summary: Issue deriving 1/2 *mv^2 from some pre-assumed equations

Hello! I am new to the differential version of classical physics, and I am trying to work how to derive kinetic energy from some pre-assumed equations:

Assume that we know: ##\ddot{z} = 0## and ##m\ddot{\textbf{r}} \cdot \dot{\textbf{r}} = 0##This results in $$\frac{1}{2}m\dot{r}^2 = W = const.$$

How is the kinetic energy given here with our pre-assumptions? I am sure this is very simple, forgive me, I am a beginner.
If the applied force is constant, then ##\ddot{\textbf{r}}## is constant, and in particular, so is the direction of ##\dot{\textbf{r}}##, ala Newton's 2nd.

So
##\ddot{\textbf{r}} \cdot \dot{\textbf{r}} = \ddot{r} \dot{r} \, cos( \theta )##
where ##\theta## is the angle between the acceleration and the velocity is constant.

So now you have
##m\ddot{r} \dot{r} cos( \theta ) = ( m \, cos( \theta ) ) \ddot{r} \dot{r} = 0##

Now note that
##\dfrac{d}{dt} ( \dot{r} )^2 = 2 \ddot{r} \dot{r}##

Can you finish?

-Dan

Likes exponent137
Start with ##K=\frac{1}{2}m(\mathbf{\dot r}\cdot \mathbf{\dot r}).##
Can you show that ##\dfrac{dK}{dt}=0~## if ##~\mathbf{\dot r}\cdot \mathbf{\ddot r}=0~?##

Here assume that ##\mathbf{r}=x~\mathbf{\hat x}+y~\mathbf{\hat y}+z~\mathbf{\hat z}.##

Likes topsquark

What is the formula for kinetic energy?

The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

How is the formula for kinetic energy derived?

The formula for kinetic energy is derived from the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. By integrating the equation for work, W = F * d, and substituting in the equation for force, F = m * a, the formula for kinetic energy can be derived.

What is the significance of the 1/2 factor in the formula for kinetic energy?

The 1/2 factor in the formula for kinetic energy is a result of the integration process. It represents the average value of the velocity squared over the distance traveled, and is necessary to correctly calculate the total kinetic energy of an object.

Can the formula for kinetic energy be used for all types of motion?

Yes, the formula for kinetic energy can be used for all types of motion, as long as the object has a mass and a velocity. This includes linear, rotational, and vibrational motion.

How is the formula for kinetic energy related to other physical concepts?

The formula for kinetic energy is related to other physical concepts such as work, force, and velocity. It is also related to potential energy, as the two forms of energy can be converted into one another. Additionally, the formula can be used to calculate the speed of an object, as KE = 1/2 * m * v^2 can be rearranged to solve for v.