Not all animated movies are good.

In summary, two recent cartoons are not worth the price of renting. The Tale of Desperaux and Igor have huge stars doing voices, but the scripts are not good. A scary cartoon starring an evil opossum would be a better idea.
tribdog
We keep getting hit by these awesome animated movies like Wall-E and anything by Pixar, but don't be fooled. Two recent cartoons are just crap. The Tale of Desperaux and Igor are not worth the price of renting them. The both have huge stars doing voices, but well known voices just can't save a rotten script. I think what the world needs is a scary cartoon staring an evil opossum. think about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
let me change that. we don't need an evil opossum, all opossums are evil. A ghost opossum, that'd work.

tribdog said:
...a scary cartoon staring an evil opossum...

Or an evil cartoon star scaring a ghostly opossum! :tongue:

tribdog said:
We keep getting hit by these awesome animated movies like Wall-E and anything by Pixar, but don't be fooled. Two recent cartoons are just crap. The Tale of Desperaux and Igor are not worth the price of renting them. The both have huge stars doing voices, but well known voices just can't save a rotten script. I think what the world needs is a scary cartoon staring an evil opossum. think about it.
'Possums are too cute! How about an evil snapping turtle, or an evil... Forget about it. I was starting to wander into "rat" territory until I remembered that my friend's son had a pet rat that was SO sweet, and loved to be held and cuddled (the rat, not the son!). Jesse was a little kid when he got the rat, and he named it after his grandfather. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

When have these animated movies ever been good? I didn't remember old fashioned cartoon movies being widely applauded but ever since theyve been able to put 3d animal with wide grins together people have been hailing them as scripted gold.

What happened to the good movies, Terminators, Total Recalls, Pulp Fictions?

I think these Pixar-type movies are overdone as well. It has become more about the 3-D and less about the writing or acting, the most important parts of the film, in my opinion.

I'd rather a 2-d cartoon or live action film will with a decent script any day.

I do miss old style cartoon films. The visuals were just so much more impressive for me.

Anyone who has not already seen it should check out Belleville Rendezvous, a recent great :smile:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BjjZsp2hDxk

Oooh, a Ghost Possum! I love possums!

Evo said:
Oooh, a Ghost Possum! I love possums!

Well then you will undoubtedly enjoy Phineas and Ferb with Perry the Platypus, Secret Agent on Disney.

As lovable as a platypus can be.

How about a talking baby possum that doesn't want to grow up to be evil?

Math Is Hard said:
How about a talking baby possum that doesn't want to grow up to be evil?
Oooh yes.

matthyaouw said:
I do miss old style cartoon films. The visuals were just so much more impressive for me.

Anyone who has not already seen it should check out Belleville Rendezvous, a recent great :smile:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BjjZsp2hDxk

"Triplets of Belleville" as it is known (or rather, as it is criminally unknown) in US. Truly a great film, and truly robbed of Oscars for best Animated film, and best original song.

Chi Meson said:
"Triplets of Belleville" as it is known (or rather, as it is criminally unknown) in US. Truly a great film, and truly robbed of Oscars for best Animated film, and best original song.
Don't remember the song, but loved the film.

matthyaouw said:
Anyone who has not already seen it should check out Belleville Rendezvous, a recent great.
I loved it. Also, anything by Miyazaki, especially Spirited Away (Japanese name: Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi). I liked Toy Story and Monsters Inc. too.

DaveC426913 said:
Don't remember the song, but loved the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6YpYp6XYRI"

I also have the pleasure of having kids between 3 and 8 years, and have a perfectly good excuse to enjoy Miyazaki's films. I think we will wait a few years before screening Princess Mononoke, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked Igor. We started watching a strange new version of resident evil that is animated, and it was so terrible I had to shut it off! Horror and animation just don't mix well... at least not in that movie!

fileen said:
I liked Igor. We started watching a strange new version of resident evil that is animated, and it was so terrible I had to shut it off! Horror and animation just don't mix well... at least not in that movie!
a lot of people have this strange idea that animated movies and shows are for kids so they very often wind up being silly and cheesy. even if they wanted to make it serious they would likely have a hard time finding a good writer who will take it seriously. even the few cartoons I have seen on tv seem to have all turned into cheese ball crap. there are a couple good ones on cartoon network like boondocks. I really miss aeon flux and the maxx from mtv and the batman animated series from the 90s. other than that you have to look to anime for decent writing.

TheStatutoryApe said:
a lot of people have this strange idea that animated movies and shows are for kids so they very often wind up being silly and cheesy. even if they wanted to make it serious they would likely have a hard time finding a good writer who will take it seriously. even the few cartoons I have seen on tv seem to have all turned into cheese ball crap. there are a couple good ones on cartoon network like boondocks. I really miss aeon flux and the maxx from mtv and the batman animated series from the 90s. other than that you have to look to anime for decent writing.

I think of it like people who try to make soy taste like meat, its not meat. One will simply be disappointed. If you want meat then eat meat, if you don't like tofu then don't eat it. When I think of a cartoon I expect it to be childish because it is geared for children. If you expect that, you won't be disappointed. Of course its going to be childish and cheesy, that's what children want. I was intrigued by the idea of an animated horror movie, clearly not for children. I was disappointed, and I should have known better. I feel like it was doomed before it began. I felt like I was watching my brother play video games.

fileen said:
Of course its going to be childish and cheesy, that's what children want.
Children don't want childish and cheesy. Children respond to a well-written story just like anyone else.

I highly recommend Iron Giant.

DaveC426913 said:
Children don't want childish and cheesy. Children respond to a well-written story just like anyone else.

I highly recommend Iron Giant.

haha, how many children have you encountered? They eat that stuff up! I have 5 brothers and sisters under the age of 12, and enough experience with them to know that they love the childish and the cheesy.

fileen said:
haha, how many children have you encountered? They eat that stuff up! I have 5 brothers and sisters under the age of 12, and enough experience with them to know that they love the childish and the cheesy.
I've got to say that children certainly have a tolerance for crappy animation with lame stories. As a kid, I hated some really lame cartoons with cheap "animation" like Johnny Quest, Speed Racer, etc. Some of my friends loved that crap, and I could never figure out why.

Warner Brothers and Disney set the standards in the '50s and '60s. Warner Brothers, in particular, put out many cartoons that were intended to be used as shorts between newsreels and main features in movie theaters, and they often had jokes aimed squarely at adults - kids wouldn't have gotten them.

What makes an animated movie good?

There are many factors that contribute to a good animated movie, including a compelling and well-written story, engaging characters, strong voice acting, and high-quality animation. The overall message or theme of the movie is also important in determining its quality.

What are some examples of bad animated movies?

Some examples of poorly received animated movies include "Foodfight!", "The Emoji Movie", and "Norm of the North". These movies were heavily criticized for their weak plots, unoriginal concepts, and lack of quality animation.

Why do some people believe that all animated movies are good?

Some people may have the misconception that all animated movies are good because of the success and popularity of many animated films. This may lead them to believe that all animated movies are of high quality, when in reality, there are many poorly made animated movies as well.

What impact do bad animated movies have on the industry?

Bad animated movies can have a negative impact on the industry by damaging the reputation of animated films as a whole. They can also result in financial losses for studios, which may discourage them from producing more animated movies in the future.

What can be done to improve the quality of animated movies?

To improve the quality of animated movies, studios can focus on creating original and well-developed stories, hiring talented writers and animators, and conducting thorough quality checks throughout the production process. They can also listen to feedback from audiences and critics to make improvements in future projects.