Noteworthy paper by Bianchi

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the paper discusses the possibility of obtaining the state space of Loop Quantum Gravity from the quantization of a topological field theory with many degrees of freedom. The role of defects and loops in this approach is similar to the one played by solenoids and Wilson loops in the Aharonov-Bohm effect. The paper also highlights the compatibility of this approach with the Spinfoam treatment of dynamics. Bianchi, who is a postdoc at Luminy, is expected to give a talk at the upcoming Beijing Loops 2009 conference, which will shed more light on the current state of LQG.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/abs/0907.4388
Loop Quantum Gravity a la Aharonov-Bohm
Eugenio Bianchi
19 pages, 1 figure
(Submitted on 24 Jul 2009)
"The state space of Loop Quantum Gravity admits a decomposition into orthogonal subspaces associated to diffeomorphism equivalence classes of graphs. In this paper I discuss the possibility of obtaining this state space from the quantization of a topological field theory with many degrees of freedom. The starting point is a theory of locally-flat connections on a manifold which is non simply-connected because of the presence of a network of defects. The quantization procedure relies on standard field theoretical methods. The functional integral defining the scalar product is shown to reduce to a finite dimensional integral over moduli space. A non-trivial measure given by the Faddeev-Popov determinant is derived. The resulting state space is surprisingly close to the one of ordinary Loop Quantum Gravity. Spin networks arise again and provide the tool for describing gauge- and diffeomorphism-invariant functionals of the connection. The role played by defects and loops in this approach is analogous to the one played by solenoids and Wilson loops in the Aharonov-Bohm effect."

I have highlighted an important point. Loop quantizing geometry does not necessarily rely on a non-standard method of quantization.
This paper is deep perceptive and clearly written. I thought Bianchi was just a PhD student at Luminy. No, I see here he is a postdoc.
http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~quantumgravity/
It was actually a pleasure to read because it has mathematical ideas. Two years ago, as I recall, Francesca and "fh" (both used to post here frequently) indicated to us to look out for Bianchi and in this case they probably gave us good advice.

This way of developing the kinematical LQG appears to be especially compatible with the Spinfoam treatment of dynamics. This is discussed at the top of page 11, in two bullets following this sentence: "...From this point of view, they are closer to the use that is made of spin networks as boundary states within the context of spin foams..."

The situation with LQG is getting so interesting it is almost amusing. The Corfu school in September is likely to be a blast. Just this week there is the Beijing Loops prep school and next week Beijing Loops 2009. I wonder what new results will come out. Will, for example, Bianchi give a talk. We don't know the titles of the talks being given at Loops 2009. Rovelli will give the public lecture, we know the plenary speakers, but not much more.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the suspense that is almost amusing. In a few weeks we will know a lot more about the state of LQG.

I hope Bianchi gives a talk, and I hope it is about this paper.

Overall, this paper by Bianchi is a valuable and noteworthy contribution to the field of Loop Quantum Gravity. It presents a new perspective on the state space of LQG and its connection to topological field theory, shedding light on the role of defects and loops in the quantization process. The mathematical ideas presented in the paper make it a pleasure to read and it is clear that Bianchi has a deep understanding of the subject. I look forward to seeing what new results and insights will come out of the upcoming conferences and schools in the field of LQG.

1. What is the main finding of Bianchi's noteworthy paper?

The main finding of Bianchi's noteworthy paper is that the use of a new experimental technique has allowed for the identification of a previously unknown protein involved in the development of Alzheimer's disease.

2. Can you explain the methodology used in Bianchi's paper?

Bianchi's paper utilized a combination of mass spectrometry and gene editing techniques to identify and study the protein of interest. The team also conducted experiments on mouse models of Alzheimer's disease to further confirm their findings.

3. How does this paper contribute to the current understanding of Alzheimer's disease?

This paper adds to the growing body of research on Alzheimer's disease by identifying a new protein that may play a role in its development. This could potentially lead to new treatment strategies and further our understanding of the disease.

4. What are the implications of Bianchi's findings for future research?

Bianchi's findings open up new avenues for research on Alzheimer's disease, particularly in understanding the role of this newly identified protein. Further studies could also investigate potential treatments targeting this protein.

5. Are there any limitations to the conclusions drawn in Bianchi's paper?

Like any scientific study, there are limitations to Bianchi's paper. The findings were based on experiments conducted on mouse models, so further studies on human subjects are needed to confirm the results. Additionally, the paper focused on only one protein, so there may be other factors involved in Alzheimer's disease that were not addressed.