Novice's Question on Spontaneous SUSY Breaking & Goldstinos

In summary, the conversation is discussing the proof of a statement about the existence of a massless particle when one of the auxiliary fields' VEVs is not zero. The vector G is proportional to the goldstino wave function, and this is necessary for the Goldstino to remain massless. The conversation then moves on to discussing the proof of this statement, with one participant suggesting that it may be a true statement but they are unsure how to prove it. Another participant suggests that it is clear that the operator m_F G, which is equivalent to 0, is the definition of a massless Goldstino. However, one participant points out that this is not clear to them as m_F G is not a matrix. The
SmalltownBoy
I'm a novice in SUSY and I'v got a question concerning spontaneous supersymmetry breaking and goldstinos. In Martin's review on page 68 there is a proof of a statement about existence of massless particle when one of ##F_i##'s or ##D_a##'s VEV is not zero. The thing I don't get is why vector ##\tilde{G}## is proportional to goldstino wave function. I guess that it means that after diagonalization of ##m_F## there is a field ##\Psi = \sum F_i \, \Psi_i + \sum D_a \, \lambda_a##, that corresponds to zero eigenvalue of ##m_F##. Is it correct? If so, could you please give any hints of proof of this statement.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if I understand your question, the vector [itex]G[/itex] has by definition zero mass eigenvalues, so it's a massless field.
This can be written as [itex]m_F G = 0 \times G [/itex].
As he states the [itex]G[/itex] is non-trivial only if the vevs are non-zero (so you have the symmetry breaking and thus the Nambu Goldstone field).

Last edited:
ChrisVer said:
Well, if I understand your question, the vector [itex]G[/itex] has by definition zero mass eigenvalues, so it's a massless field.
This can be written as [itex]m_F G = 0 \times G [/itex].
As he states the [itex]G[/itex] is non-trivial only if the vevs are non-zero (so you have the symmetry breaking and thus the Nambu Goldstone field).

Yes, basically I can prove that ##G## vector has zero eigenvalue. But obviously it's not goldstino field,because it's a constant. I assume that goldstino field is ##\sum_i \, F_i \, \psi_i + \sum_a \, D_a \, \lambda_a## but I cannot prove it.

it doesn't have to be exactly this kind of combination. The components of the Weyl spinors and gauginos (your set of basis) just have to be proportional to the auxiliary fields' vevs (G), so that the Goldstino will keep being massless.

ChrisVer said:
it doesn't have to be exactly this kind of combination. The components of the Weyl spinors and gauginos (your set of basis) just have to be proportional to the auxiliary fields' vevs (G), so that the Goldstino will keep being massless.

Could you please prove this statement? In fact this is the point that I don't get... :(

Because you want to get zero mass eigenvalue for the goldstino...
The goldstino is going to take away some degrees of freedom from your Weyl spinor or gauginos...

ChrisVer said:
Because you want to get zero mass eigenvalue for the goldstino...
The goldstino is going to take away some degrees of freedom from your Weyl spinor or gauginos...

Ok, let me explain how I see it...For simplcity let's consider theory wtih only chiral superfields. We know that in some mininum of scalar potential ##V(\phi,\phi^*)## VEV's of auxillary fields ##F_i## are nonzero and vector ##(F_1,...,F_N)## is anihillated by fermion mass matrix ##m_F##. Than I would try to diagonalize this matrix by introducing new fermion fields ##\tilde{\psi}_i##. My statement is as follows: one of this fields ##\tilde{\psi}_k = \sum_{i} F_i \, \psi_i## corresponds to zero eigenvalue. I guess that it's a true statement. Could you please prove it (algebraically, using formulas)? As for me, I have no idea how to do it :(

I think it's pretty clear, the operator [itex] m_F G [/itex] acting on the space of [itex] \left \{ \psi_i , \lambda_a \right\} [/itex] is equivalent as an operator to the [itex] 0 [/itex], and that's the definition of a massless goldstino.

ChrisVer said:
I think it's pretty clear, the operator [itex] m_F G [/itex] acting on the space of [itex] \left \{ \psi_i , \lambda_a \right\} [/itex] is equivalent as an operator to the [itex] 0 [/itex], and that's the definition of a massless goldstino.

Unfortunately, it's not pretty clear for me because ##m_F G## is not even a matrix...

it's zero...

ChrisVer said:
it's zero...

Ok, then arbitrary vector is goldstino field...?

Question 1: What is spontaneous SUSY breaking?

SUSY stands for supersymmetry, a theoretical concept in particle physics. Spontaneous SUSY breaking refers to the breaking of this symmetry in nature, where the supersymmetry between particles and their superpartners is no longer present.

Question 2: What are Goldstinos?

Goldstinos are hypothetical particles that arise in theories with supersymmetry breaking. They are the superpartners of the Goldstone bosons, which are particles associated with the breaking of symmetries in physics.

Question 3: How does spontaneous SUSY breaking occur?

Spontaneous SUSY breaking can occur through various mechanisms, such as the spontaneous breaking of a global symmetry, or through the vacuum expectation value of a scalar field. The exact mechanism is still a subject of research and debate among physicists.

Question 4: What is the significance of spontaneous SUSY breaking and Goldstinos?

The existence of spontaneous SUSY breaking and Goldstinos is crucial for certain theories in particle physics, such as the Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model (MSSM). It also has implications for the search for dark matter particles, as some models predict that the lightest supersymmetric particle (LSP) could be a Goldstino.

Question 5: Can spontaneous SUSY breaking and Goldstinos be observed in experiments?

At present, there is no experimental evidence for spontaneous SUSY breaking or Goldstinos. However, scientists are actively searching for these phenomena through experiments at high-energy particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), and through astrophysical observations of dark matter particles.