Nuclear fission calculation of energy released

In summary, according to the problem, if uranium 235 represents 0.7% of the metal in a bomb, every fission will release 200 MeV of energy. This is 7.17 x 10^21 MeV.
tahmidbro
Poster has been reminded to post schoolwork in the Homework Help forums
Summary:: Calculate the amount of energy in joules generated from 2 kg of uranium fuel if the uranium 235 represents 0.7% of the metal and every fission releases 200 MeV.

Hi!

I am stuck in this question from my exercise book :

Q. Calculate the amount of energy in joules generated from 2 kg of uranium fuel if the uranium 235 represents 0.7% of the metal and every fission releases 200 MeV.

I've already attempted but could not come up with the correct answer: which is 7.17 x 10^(21) MeV ( they did not show any working in the solution book )

My attempt:

200 x 10^(6) x 1.6 x 10^(-19) = m( 3 x 10^(8))^2
m= 3.56 x 10^(-28) kg used up in 1 fission.

0.7% of 2 = 0.014 kg
so the number of times 3.56 x 10^(-28) kg is used up ( or the number of fissions ) = 0.014/(3.56 x 10^(-28)) = 3.93 x 10^(25) fissions

Total energy released = 200 x 1.6 x 10^(-19) x 10^(6) x 3.93 x 10^(25) = 1.25 x 10^(15) MeV

Is there any way I can get the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not approaching it correctly. How many uranium atoms are in 2 kg of fuel? If 0.7% of these fission, how much energy is released? Also, the question says the final answer should be in Joules, not MeV.

There are (2000/235) x 6.02 x 10^(23) = 5.1234 x 10^(24) atoms in 2kg of fuel. If 0.7% of these fission, 5.1234 x 10^(24) x 0.7%= 3.586 x 10^(22) atoms will undergo fission and if fission of each atom releases 200 MeV, then 3.586 x 10^(22) x 200 x 10^(6) x 1.6 x 10^(-19) = 1.1476 x 10^(12) Joules of energy is released. Is this correct?
Probably the answer from the solution book was wrong.

Looks OK to me. I would calculate the number of moles as 2000/238 as most of the uranium is U-238, but that's just a small correction. The book's answer (aside from being in the wrong units) looks a factor of 1000 too small. Probably they either took the mass as 2 g or the atomic weight as 235 kg/mol.

The second approach is right and the answer looks good.
tahmidbro said:
m= 3.56 x 10^(-28) kg used up in 1 fission.
Here was the problem with the first approach. That value is the mass difference between the uranium atom and the fission products, not the mass of an uranium atom.

One minor problem is that since most of the Uranium is U238, the atomic weight of Uranium is 238.03 gms/mole. So you should divide by this number, not 235 when you calculate the number of U atoms. But this is only a ~1% correction.

The question doesn't specify if 0.7% is the mass fraction or the atomic fraction. I would assume the mass fraction, in that case OP's calculation is right.

phyzguy said:
One minor problem is that since most of the Uranium is U238, the atomic weight of Uranium is 238.03 gms/mole. So you should divide by this number, not 235 when you calculate the number of U atoms. But this is only a ~1% correction.

As far as I know, Uranium 235 can absorb a neutron and can undergo fission, not U- 238. Probably this is why they have given % of uranium 235 in the question.

U-238 can do induced fission as well, but it needs neutrons with a high energy and doesn't produce enough of them to sustain a chain reaction. But that's not the point. If the 0.7% refer to the number of atoms then you need to consider the U-238 mass to find the total number of atoms and then take 0.7% of that. It's just a 1% effect, however.

Likes tahmidbro
mfb said:
U-238 can do induced fission as well, but it needs neutrons with a high energy and doesn't produce enough of them to sustain a chain reaction. But that's not the point. If the 0.7% refer to the number of atoms then you need to consider the U-238 mass to find the total number of atoms and then take 0.7% of that. It's just a 1% effect, however.

m= 0.014 kg

E = 200MeV

mol of Uranium x avogadro constant = no. of mol of uranium nuclei

So , energy released = 0.014/235 x 6.02 x 10^(23) x 200 MeV
= 7.17 x 10 ^21 MeV Hurrah!
A friend of mine helped me to do it.
Anyway, Thanks to you all! :-)

1. How is the energy released in nuclear fission calculated?

The energy released in nuclear fission is calculated using the famous equation E=mc², where E represents the energy released, m is the mass difference between the reactants and the products, and c is the speed of light. This equation was developed by Albert Einstein and is based on the principle of mass-energy equivalence.

2. What factors affect the energy released in nuclear fission?

The energy released in nuclear fission is affected by several factors such as the mass of the reactants, the type of nuclei involved, and the rate of fission. The type of nuclear reaction and the energy of the particles involved also play a significant role in determining the amount of energy released.

3. How is nuclear fission used to generate electricity?

Nuclear fission is used to generate electricity in nuclear power plants. The energy released during fission reactions is used to heat water and produce steam, which then turns turbines to generate electricity. This process is known as nuclear power generation and is a major source of electricity production globally.

4. What is the difference between nuclear fission and nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fission is the process of splitting a heavy nucleus into smaller nuclei, while nuclear fusion is the process of combining two or more lighter nuclei to form a heavier nucleus. The energy released in nuclear fission is much greater than that of nuclear fusion, but fusion reactions are more difficult to achieve and control.

5. How is the energy released in nuclear fission harnessed for weapons?

The energy released in nuclear fission can be harnessed for weapons by creating a chain reaction of fission reactions, resulting in a powerful explosion. This process is known as nuclear fission bomb or atomic bomb. The amount of energy released in nuclear fission weapons is much greater than that of conventional explosives, making them highly destructive.