[Nuclear Physics] photoelectric peak

In summary, the conversation is discussing the mass attenuation coefficients of a gaseous detector and how to calculate the relative intensity of the photoelectric peak. The values for the coefficients are given as 0.0084 cm2/g for Rayleigh, 0.071 cm2/g for Photoelectric, and 0.022 cm2/g for Compton. The problem is asking for the ratio of the peak integral to the integral of the whole spectrum, assuming only the photoelectric effect contributes to the events recorded at the peak. However, the person asking the question does not know the equation to use or how to solve the problem.
CarmenGonzalez

Homework Statement

The material of which a gaseous detector is constituted has the following values of mass attenuation coefficients for a given photon energy:

Rayleigh: 0.0084 cm2 / g

Photoelectric: 0.071 cm2 / g

Compton: 0.022 cm 2 / g

Calculate the relative intensity of the photoelectric peak (i.e. the ratio of the peak integral to the integral of the whole spectrum), assuming that only this effect contributes to the events recorded at the peak.

Homework Equations

I do not know the equation I have to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know the equation to use and how to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
CarmenGonzalez said:
I do not know the equation to use and how to solve the problem.

Please explain what you understand about the problem so that homework helpers have some idea of where to start helping you.

1. What is a photoelectric peak in nuclear physics?

A photoelectric peak is a characteristic peak that appears in the energy spectrum of a detector when a gamma ray photon is absorbed by a material, resulting in the emission of an electron. It is a phenomenon that is used to detect and measure the energy of gamma rays in nuclear physics experiments.

2. How is a photoelectric peak different from other peaks in a gamma ray energy spectrum?

A photoelectric peak is distinct from other peaks in a gamma ray energy spectrum because it is a result of the complete absorption of a gamma ray photon by a material, whereas other peaks may be a result of partial absorption or scattering of the photon.

3. What causes a photoelectric peak to shift in energy?

The energy of a photoelectric peak can shift due to various factors such as the density and composition of the material, the energy of the incident gamma ray, and the temperature of the detector. This phenomenon is known as peak shift or peak broadening.

4. How is the height of a photoelectric peak related to the energy of the incident gamma ray?

The height of a photoelectric peak is directly proportional to the energy of the incident gamma ray. This means that the higher the energy of the gamma ray, the taller the photoelectric peak will be in the energy spectrum.

5. Why is the photoelectric peak important in nuclear physics research?

The photoelectric peak is important in nuclear physics research because it provides valuable information about the energy of gamma rays and the properties of the materials used in experiments. It is also used to calibrate and validate the performance of gamma ray detectors.