Why Is Krypton the Product in This Nuclear Reaction?

In summary, the question asks for the identification of element X in the following nuclear reaction: 235U+01n →141Ba+X+301n+202.5MeV. The preferred approach is to use the atomic number to determine the chemical element, rather than attempting to convert MeV to joules and using the mass-energy equivalence formula.
Hooly
Can someone please explain to me why the answer to the following question is Krypton? A step by step solution would be ideal please!

(b)The following reaction occurs in a nuclear reactor:

235U+01n →141Ba+X+301n+202.5MeV
(i) Identify the element X.

Many thanks!
(Question is Q12 b part i from the 2010 Irish state physics exam http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2010/LC021ALP000EV.pdf )

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I initially took this approach;
235 + 1 -141 -3(1) which is equal to 92. When I checked the answer this was incorrect. Then went down the route of converting the MeV to joules and subbing that value into the mass- energy equivalence formula in order to find the mass, and then using the unified atomic mass unit value (1.6605402x10^-27 kg) to try to find the element represented by the energy, at which point I got lost and have been unable to proceed further. Bear in mind I am 18 and studying for my Leaving Cert in Ireland (equivalent of SATs in US I think) so I am not at an advanced level

Which number determines the chemical element?

Do you guys just reply with questions? :P But yes I realized earlier that atomic number was the way to go, wasn't thinking straight, over complicated it. Many thanks ✌️

Hooly said:
Do you guys just reply with questions? :P
The idea is to help you to find the answer, and questions often work best.

1. What is a nuclear reactor reaction?

A nuclear reactor reaction is a process in which atomic nuclei undergo a controlled chain reaction, releasing large amounts of energy in the form of heat. This heat is then used to generate electricity.

2. How does a nuclear reactor reaction work?

A nuclear reactor uses a controlled chain reaction to produce heat. This heat is used to boil water, creating steam which turns a turbine to generate electricity. The chain reaction is controlled by control rods, which absorb excess neutrons and slow the reaction down.

3. What are the risks associated with nuclear reactor reactions?

The main risk associated with nuclear reactor reactions is the release of radiation. This can be harmful to humans and the environment if not properly contained. However, modern reactors are designed with multiple safety features to prevent accidents and minimize the risks.

4. What is nuclear waste and how is it managed?

Nuclear waste is the radioactive material that is produced during the operation of a nuclear reactor. This waste is highly dangerous and must be managed carefully. Currently, most nuclear waste is stored in secure facilities, and efforts are being made to find long-term solutions for its disposal.

5. What are the benefits of using nuclear reactor reactions for energy production?

Nuclear reactor reactions have several benefits, including producing large amounts of energy without emitting greenhouse gases or air pollutants. It is also a reliable source of energy, with reactors able to operate for extended periods without interruption. Additionally, nuclear energy has a low cost compared to other forms of energy production.