Nuclear spin coupling in molecular (protium) hydrogen

In summary, it's not clear whether a container of liquid hydrogen subjected to a strong magnetic field would have both nuclei of each atom pointed in the same direction. There is a spin coupling that would resist this. At high temperatures, orthohydrogen is the predominant form of diprotium, in the ratio of 3:1. Because there are 3 different states for hydrogen having spin 1 - spin projections +1, 0 and -1, while spin 0 has only the lone state of spin projection 0. At low temperatures, the lower energy of parahydrogen (no orbital motion) prevails. The equilibrium is not quick to establish. Now suppose that hydrogen is in a strong magnetic field. Then the 3 spin projections of
hkyriazi
I'm not sure where this post belongs--here, or nuclear chemistry, quantum mechanics, NMR spectroscopy, etc. Moderator--please feel free to move it to a better location.
I'm wondering if a container of liquid hydrogen subjected to a strong magnetic field would have both nuclei of each atom pointed in the same direction, or whether there's some sort of "spin coupling" of those (protium--let's ignore deuterium and tritium) nuclei that would prevent such an alignment.
Also, I'm wondering how tight would be any amount of alignment if the liquid were kept at close to absolute zero (how small a precession angle of the nuclear spins?), and what percentage of molecules would be oriented in this way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hkyriazi said:
I'm not sure where this post belongs--here, or nuclear chemistry, quantum mechanics, NMR spectroscopy, etc. Moderator--please feel free to move it to a better location.
I'm wondering if a container of liquid hydrogen subjected to a strong magnetic field would have both nuclei of each atom pointed in the same direction, or whether there's some sort of "spin coupling" of those (protium--let's ignore deuterium and tritium) nuclei that would prevent such an alignment.
There is a spin coupling that would resist this.
Two protium nuclei in the same molecule, same spin and not having an orbital motion relative to each other cannot coexist because they are indistinguishable fermions.
You can get around this if the molecule has an odd orbital momentum - at least 1. But this needs energy.
At high temperatures, orthohydrogen is the prevalent form of diprotium, in the ratio of 3:1. Because there are 3 different states for hydrogen having spin 1 - spin projections +1, 0 and -1, while spin 0 has only the lone state of spin projection 0.
At low temperatures, the lower energy of parahydrogen (no orbital motion) prevails.
The changeover to prevalence of parahydrogen is around 100 K - at equilibrium. The equilibrium is not quick to establish.
Now suppose that hydrogen is in a strong magnetic field.Then the 3 spin projections of orthohydrogen are no longer equal energy. Like, +1 gets lower and -1 gets higher. There is still the energy of orbital movement. But at some strength of external magnetic field, the +1 spin projection state should lie below the state of spin 0. How strong field is this?
hkyriazi said:
Also, I'm wondering how tight would be any amount of alignment if the liquid were kept at close to absolute zero (how small a precession angle of the nuclear spins?), and what percentage of molecules would be oriented in this way.
Dihydrogen freezes at low temperatures. The freezing point is affected a lot by isotopic composition and a bit by molecular spin. It should be affected a bit if the spins are aligned with external field, but I do not see why dihydrogen should stay liquid at absolute zero like helium does.

Likes Birkman
Thank you. I didn't know there was such a thing as solid hydrogen! Interesting! I wonder, then, if we placed the liquid, at, say, 15 deg. Kelvin (slightly above its melting temperature), and subjected it to the strongest magnetic field we can make (a Japanese team was reported to have generated a field of 1,200 Tesla in Sept. of 2018), could we get the molecules all oriented in the same direction, and then freeze them into place in that orientation? Almost certainly not, as the crystal packing would have its own orientation requirements. I'm assuming that the molecular/electron orbital coupling of the two protium atoms itself has already "frozen" their nuclei (protons) in some set mutual orientation, and that the molecules (in the liquid state) might be oriented with respect to the magnetic field.

Regarding magnetic field strength, it seems the very strong fields are over much too small a volume for what I have in mind. Would fields of typical MRI and NMR machine strength be capable of orienting dihydrogen?

I also didn't know about ortho- (spins aligned) and parahydrogen (spins anti-parallel). It seems that as the temp is lowered to ~15 deg Kelvin, the percentage of ortho should fall to zero. I wonder if the strong magnetic field could render all of it ortho, along with orienting all of the molecules?

Nuclear magneton is 5,05*10-27 J/T.
The dipole moment of a proton is 2,8 magnetons, and orthohydrogen 5,6 magnetons - making 2,8*10-26 J/T
The energy of orthohydrogen over parahydrogen is quoted as 1,06*103 J/mol. With Avogadro number being 6,02*1023, this would make the energy of orthohydrogen about 1,75*10-21 J above parahydrogen.
Which would suggest that magnetic field should favour the aligned state of orthohydrogen over parahydrogen from field strengths a bit over 60 000 T.
Nonlinear effects might happen at these magnitudes. In any case, can anyone check my sources for gross errors of magnitude?

snorkack said:
...Which would suggest that magnetic field should favour the aligned state of orthohydrogen over parahydrogen from field strengths a bit over 60 000 T.

Yikes! If that means what I think it means--that if your calculation is correct, it'd require a field about 15 thousand times the strength of those in MRI machines to get close to 100% orthohydrogen, perhaps the easier route would be to use liquid H2 at its highest convenient temperature--perhaps 77K (liquid N2 temp)--which would, for a while at least, consist of 75% orthohydrogen (the percentage present at RT).

Any thoughts on the overall magnetic moment of the orthohydrogen molecule, and the ability of currently available field strengths to align these molecules?

hkyriazi said:
Yikes! If that means what I think it means--that if your calculation is correct, it'd require a field about 15 thousand times the strength of those in MRI machines to get close to 100% orthohydrogen, perhaps the easier route would be to use liquid H2 at its highest convenient temperature--perhaps 77K (liquid N2 temp)
Diprotium critical temperature is 33 K.
hkyriazi said:
--which would, for a while at least, consist of 75% orthohydrogen (the percentage present at RT).

Any thoughts on the overall magnetic moment of the orthohydrogen molecule, and the ability of currently available field strengths to align these molecules?
If they hold water then use the numbers above.
No, there would not be much orientation requirements of crystal.
Both parahydrogen and orthohydrogen are bosons (spin 0 or spin 1 - integer either way). Parahydrogen is 1 type of indistinguishable bosons, 1 state (spin 0). Ordinary hydrogen in 2 types, 4 states (spin 0, and spin 1 states projection 1, 0 and -1). Melting points do differ... parahydrogen melts at 13,88 K, ordinary hydrogen at 13,93 K.
So, if the spins were aligned with external field, 25 % spin 0, 75 % spin 1 projection +1, it would behave much like ordinary solid hydrogen (except that slow spontaneous spin-flip would be releasing heat).
At 1200 T, I get energy 3,35*10-23 J. Which is about 20 J/mol.
Apply R (8,314 J/K*mol), and below about 2,4 K, the magnetic field of 1200 T should favour spin alignment. How fast do orthohydrogen molecules align with external field, compared to decay to parahydrogen?

1. What is nuclear spin coupling in molecular (protium) hydrogen?

Nuclear spin coupling in molecular (protium) hydrogen refers to the interaction between the nuclear spins of two hydrogen atoms in a molecule. This interaction can affect the energy levels and spectral properties of the molecule, leading to distinct peaks in the nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectrum.

2. How does nuclear spin coupling in molecular (protium) hydrogen occur?

Nuclear spin coupling in molecular (protium) hydrogen occurs due to the magnetic dipole-dipole interaction between the nuclear spins of the two hydrogen atoms. This interaction is mediated by the electrons in the molecule and can be either through-space or through-bond, depending on the distance between the two hydrogen atoms.

3. What is the significance of nuclear spin coupling in molecular (protium) hydrogen?

Nuclear spin coupling in molecular (protium) hydrogen is significant because it provides valuable information about the molecular structure and dynamics. By analyzing the coupling patterns in the NMR spectrum, researchers can determine the number of hydrogen atoms and their relative positions in a molecule, as well as the presence of any nearby functional groups.

4. How does nuclear spin coupling in molecular (protium) hydrogen affect NMR spectra?

Nuclear spin coupling in molecular (protium) hydrogen can affect NMR spectra by splitting the peaks into multiple lines. The number and spacing of these lines depend on the strength of the coupling and the number of neighboring hydrogen atoms. This splitting pattern, known as multiplet, can provide valuable information about the molecular structure and dynamics.

5. Can nuclear spin coupling in molecular (protium) hydrogen be used to study chemical reactions?

Yes, nuclear spin coupling in molecular (protium) hydrogen can be used to study chemical reactions. By monitoring the changes in the coupling patterns in the NMR spectra, researchers can track the progress of a reaction, identify intermediates, and determine reaction rates. This technique, known as reaction monitoring by NMR, is widely used in organic chemistry and biochemistry.