Nuke physics vs atomic physics vs nuke engineering

In summary: So, my conclusion is that while there is a significant distinction between atomic and nuclear physics, both disciplines are necessary for a comprehensive understanding of the atom and nuclear processes." In summary, the author recommends studying nuclear physics if you are interested in understanding atomic and nuclear processes better.
Awesomephysics
Okay can I first start of by saying sorry if there are any gramatical errors or mis-spellings I've got dyslexia and, well, sometimes things can get messy!

So I have been really interested in Physics since I was really young, mainly in things like astrophysics and questioning why things happen and why we exist. Anyway reciently I have got really interested in the interaction of particles and atom and there effects on the world. And actually I'm really interested in nucular power and how to better nucelar reactions, obsorb more energy, make it greener... Ect. Anyway I'm just wondering what field would it be better to study into? And what's the diffrence between Nuke. Engineering and Nuke. Physics.

Also I live in NZ and most unis only do basic phys and engineering. And we are tottaly anti nuke power. I plan on doing b.s.c and maybe masters here but go internationaly for phd, where/what unis and courses would you recommend for this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the Wikipedia article on Atomic Physics, the author highlights the distinction between atomic and nuclear physics.

"However, physicists distinguish between atomic physics — which deals with the atom as a system consisting of a nucleus and electrons — and nuclear physics, which considers atomic nuclei alone." Nuclear physics deals with 'nuclear' processes, i.e., the physics inside the nucleus. The fission reaction involves a neutron or high energy particle interacting with the nucleus, which then causes the nucleus to fission. Of course, when the nucleus fissions, i.e., becomes two or more lighter nuclei, the atoms fissions as well, and the electrons from the initial atom reform around the two or more new nuclei. Nuclear energy is released in the fission process.

Engineering is more or less applied physics. Nuclear engineering is the discipline of engineering applied to nuclear processes, e.g., fission and fusion. The objective is to develop systems that exploit potential nuclear energy for the purposes of producing useful thermal or electrical energy. Of course, one could also use the energy for destructive purposes - as in nuclear weapons.

The field of nuclear engineering is multi-discipline, since we consider technological areas such as fluid flow and heat transfer, which are common to mechanical and aerospace engineering, and electrical power generation and control systems, which are common to electrical engineering, and materials behavior, which is basically materials science and engineering. Containing a nuclear reactor is the containment building and associated structures, and that is civil/structural engineering.

1. What is the difference between nuke physics, atomic physics, and nuke engineering?

Nuke physics, also known as nuclear physics, is the study of the properties and behavior of atomic nuclei and their interactions. Atomic physics, on the other hand, focuses on the structure and behavior of individual atoms. Nuke engineering, also known as nuclear engineering, is the application of nuclear physics principles to design and operate nuclear power plants and other nuclear technologies.

2. Do nuke physics, atomic physics, and nuke engineering have any overlap?

Yes, there is a significant overlap between these fields. Nuke physics provides the foundation for understanding the behavior of atoms and nuclei, which is essential for both atomic physics and nuke engineering. Nuke engineering also relies on principles from atomic physics to design and operate nuclear technologies.

3. Can you give an example of how nuke physics, atomic physics, and nuke engineering are used in real-world applications?

One example is in the development of nuclear power plants. Nuke physics is used to study the properties of nuclear reactions and design the nuclear reactors. Atomic physics is used to understand the behavior of individual atoms within the reactor. Nuke engineering is then used to design and operate the power plant based on these principles.

4. Is nuke physics, atomic physics, or nuke engineering more important?

All three fields are equally important and necessary for the development and use of nuclear technologies. Nuke physics provides the theoretical foundation, atomic physics provides the understanding of atomic behavior, and nuke engineering applies these principles in practical applications.

5. What are some potential career paths for someone interested in nuke physics, atomic physics, or nuke engineering?

There are many career opportunities in these fields, including working in research labs, nuclear power plants, or government agencies. Some possible job titles include nuclear physicist, nuclear engineer, radiation health physicist, and nuclear safety engineer.