Nulcear fission, two daughter nuclei

In summary, an unstable nucleus with mass 233.9493 amu undergoes spontaneous fission into two daughter nuclei 1 and 2 and zero fast neutrons. The kinetic energy of the daughter nucleus 1 is 0.08167 mev.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

An unstable nucleus with mass M is in an excited state with excitation energy E* and undergoes spontaneous fission into two daughter nuclei "1" and "2" and zero fast neutrons. What will be the kinetic energy KE (in MeV) of the daughter nucleus "1"?

M = 233.9493amu
E* = 10.6616Mev
M1 = 123.3604 amu

M2 = 110.5096 amu

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum
Total kinetic energy

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my solution but I believe I am on the right line IMO but I not entirely sure what the activation energy really is and also why M = 233.9493amu has been included as it not in my solution which indicated to me I have gone maybe slightly wrong.

$$M_1V_1=M_2V_2 [1]$$
$$E^*=1/2M_1V_1^2+1/2M_2V_2^2 [2]$$
$$\frac{M_1V_1}{M_2}=V_2\:\left[3\right]$$
$$E^*=\frac{1}{2}M_1V_1^2+\frac{1}{2}\frac{M_1^2V_1^2}{M_2^2}\cdot M_2 [4]$$

Simplifying through and making ##V_1^2## the subject

$$\frac{2E^*}{\left(M_1+\frac{M_1^2}{M_2}\right)}=V_1^2$$

Subbing in the given values
$$\frac{2\left(10.6616MeV\right)}{\left(123.3604amu+\frac{\left(123.3604amu\right)^2}{110.5096amu}\right)}=V_1^2=0.08167\frac{Mev}{amu}\:\left[5\right]$$

$$V_1^2=0.08167\frac{Mev}{\frac{931.5MeV}{c^2}}=0.000087c^2 [6] $$

$$KE_1=\frac{1}{2}\left(123.3604amu\cdot 0.000087c^2\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(123.3604\cdot 931.5\frac{MeV}{c^2}\cdot 0.000087c^2\right) [7]$$

this gave me a ##KE## value of ##4.998MeV##

this issue is I don't really understand the excitation energy with regards to fission, so I a assume this energy is used to intaite the fission process.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
M = 233.9493amu
E* = 10.6616Mev
M1 = 123.3604 amu

M2 = 110.5096 amu
looking at your data it appears that there is a mass difference in mother and daughters nuclei added together ...so energy conservation must account for this part...

most of the mass difference goes into K E of the fragments.

drvrm said:
looking at your data it appears that there is a mass difference in mother and daughters nuclei added together ...so energy conservation must account for this part...

most of the mass difference goes into K E of the fragments.

I what you are saying to add the mass diff to the excitation energy, accuse I did have this thought but the difference is a negative value

difference is change in the masses and equivalent energy must be accounted for in conservation of energy...check from your textbook

.if the daughters are playing..the mother must have provided energy. just talking lighty.

Taylor_1989 said:
I a assume this energy is used to intaite the fission process.
Yes, but it is not consumed by the fission process. It still ends up in the KE.
Taylor_1989 said:
add the mass diff to the excitation energy, accuse I did have this thought but the difference is a negative value
Which way round did you take the difference? Please post your working.

Likes drvrm
haruspex said:
Yes, but it is not consumed by the fission process. It still ends up in the KE.

Which way round did you take the difference? Please post your working.
Sorry for the confusion when I looked over the question again I took the difference the wrong way round, so my orginall working was
$$(M_1+M_2)-M=\Delta M$$ but what I should have done is $$M-(M_1+M_2)=\Delta M$$. Which after this I got the correct ans.

1. What is nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is a process in which the nucleus of an atom splits into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy.

2. How does nuclear fission occur?

Nuclear fission occurs when a neutron collides with a large nucleus, causing it to become unstable and split into two smaller nuclei. This process also releases additional neutrons, which can then collide with other nuclei and continue the chain reaction.

3. What are daughter nuclei?

Daughter nuclei are the two or more smaller nuclei that are formed as a result of nuclear fission. These nuclei are typically radioactive and undergo further decay.

4. What is the significance of nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is significant for its potential to produce large amounts of energy. It is used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity, and in nuclear weapons to release destructive amounts of energy.

5. What are the risks associated with nuclear fission?

The main risks associated with nuclear fission are the potential for accidents or malfunctions at nuclear power plants, and the possibility of nuclear waste disposal contaminating the environment. There are also concerns about the potential for nuclear weapons to be used for destructive purposes.