Number of bits it takes to represent a number

• Thread starter iScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bits
In summary: OP is asking about the binary representation of a number.In summary, the binary representation of a number is 100. It takes three bits to represent 4 using this scheme. If you want to represent integer numbers between 0 and x (inclusive) the correct equation is ##ceiling(log_2(x+1))##.
iScience
Is this accurate?

$$x = some\_number$$

$$bits(x)= \frac{log(x)}{log(2)}$$

Technology news on Phys.org
If you have some way to signalize "the number is done", and send every integer in binary: sure (up to rounding).

iScience said:
Is this accurate?

$$x = some\_number$$

$$bits(x)= \frac{log(x)}{log(2)}$$
No, not quite. The fraction you have on the right is the same as ##log_2(x)##.

As to why your formula isn't correct, consider x = 4, and that ##log_2(4) = 2##. It takes 3 bits (##100_2##) to represent 4.

Mark44 said:
As to why your formula isn't correct, consider x = 4, and that ##log_2(4) = 2##. It takes 3 bits (##100_2##) to represent 4.
If you want to represent positive integers only, you can drop the leading 1. It will be there for every number anyway.

Mark44 said:

mfb said:
If you want to represent positive integers only, you can drop the leading 1.
I don't understand what you're saying. I was only considering positive integers. The binary representation of 4 as an unsigned number is ##100_2##. Are you interpreting the 1 digit to mean the number is negative?

The OP's formula doesn't give the right results for this and many other numbers
mfb said:
It will be there for every number anyway.
?

The binary representation is 100. Who said we are limited to the binary representation? We can save bits with the following scheme, assuming we know where digits end:

1: ""
2: "0"
3: "1"
4: "00"
5: "01"
6: "10"
and so on.
Mark44 said:
?
The binary representation for every positive integer starts with a 1. If you are interested in saving bits, as the title suggests, you do not have to store this 1. Floating point numbers do exactly this: they just do not store the 1 because it would be fully redundant.

mfb said:
The binary representation for every positive integer starts with a 1. If you are interested in saving bits, as the title suggests, you do not have to store this 1.
The trouble is, negative integers are stored with a 1 digit in the most significant bit (MSB).
The title of the thread is "Number of bits it takes to represent a number". With "bits" which is short for "binary digits," it's reasonable to assume that we're talking about a binary representation. It takes three bits to represent the decimal number 4. If you take advantage of a scheme that stores only two bits, it still takes three bits to represent the number.

mfb said:
Floating point numbers do exactly this: they just do not store the 1 because it would be fully redundant.
Some floating point numbers do this. The ones that don't follow the older x87 Extended Precision format.
In contrast to the single and double-precision formats, this format does not utilize an implicit/hidden bit.
The Borland C/C++ compiler back in the early 90's had an 80-bit long double type based on this format. The Microsoft compilers never did, to the best of my knowledge.

Mark44 said:
No, not quite. The fraction you have on the right is the same as ##log_2(x)##.

If you want to represent integer numbers between 0 and x (inclusive) the correct equation is ##ceiling(log_2(x+1))##.

Mark44 said:
The title of the thread is "Number of bits it takes to represent a number". With "bits" which is short for "binary digits," it's reasonable to assume that we're talking about a binary representation.
I don't think so, and even if we would, storing them does not have to happen in the same way we would write those numbers down on paper.
Mark44 said:
Some floating point numbers do this.
Well, most do. A few do not.

Mark44 said:
The title of the thread is "Number of bits it takes to represent a number". With "bits" which is short for "binary digits," it's reasonable to assume that we're talking about a binary representation.
mfb said:
I don't think so, and even if we would, storing them does not have to happen in the same way we would write those numbers down on paper.
Of course, but this thread is about how they are represented, not how they can be stored. Whether one bit is implied or not, it takes three bits to represent 4, so the OP's formula as stated doesn't give the right result.

Represent to a human or to a computer?

Tom.G said:
Represent to a human or to a computer?
Both.

I can represent 4 as "00", and no one can stop me.
"Number of bits it takes" implies that we want to minimize the number we need. Using binary representation would need one bit more than necessary.

mfb said:
"Number of bits it takes" implies that we want to minimize the number we need. Using binary representation would need one bit more than necessary.
I think that you are arguing just to be arguing. Given that this thread is in the Programming and Computer Science section, can you give us an example of one computer system or programming language or standard in which 4 is represented as "00"? I'll stipulate that the IEEE 754 standard for single-precision and double-precision floating point numbers does use an implied bit that is not stored, but can you show a similar standard for integer values?

I'm not aware of any computer system which stores 4 as "100" either. 00000100 and similar - sure, and you cannot drop a leading 1 here because there is none. But a storage format that uses exactly the number of bits it needs (plus one)?

mfb said:
I'm not aware of any computer system which stores 4 as "100" either. 00000100
I wrote 1002 as an abbreviation for the full byte representation 000001002.

Mark44 said:
I think that you are arguing just to be arguing. Given that this thread is in the Programming and Computer Science section, can you give us an example of one computer system or programming language or standard in which 4 is represented as "00"? I'll stipulate that the IEEE 754 standard for single-precision and double-precision floating point numbers does use an implied bit that is not stored, but can you show a similar standard for integer values?
Data compression. A 4 can be represented and stored in lots of ways. Those ways can depend on context. If I have a long string of 4's, I can represent those 4's pretty cheaply.

In short, OP, if you're still reading, the answer has some surprising complexities. In a straightforward binary representation of a positive integer x, the most significant bit would be the largest integer n such that ##n\leq\ln(x+1)/\ln 2##, which is not quite what you wrote. However, that is not the number of bits needed to store it (except in certain special cases).
  • At least one more bit is needed if you want to handle negative numbers as well (and the answer is complicated for negative integers)
  • Some way to know when the number ends is also needed, which will typically add to the storage - either through wasted space in general, having to have a "number of bits" auxiliary variable, or having to reserve a particular sequence as a terminator.
  • Much more complex representations are possible, as jbriggs444 and mfb point out.
The right answer depends on why you want to know.

Likes jbriggs444
The point most people participating in the thread should remember is that the Shannon information theorem does not consider the value of the largest number you want to represent but instead only the number of symbols you want to represent.

Thus
  • x = some number uses is {x} thus log2(1) bits
  • {1, 2, ..., x} uses log2(x) bits
  • {0, 1, ..., x} uses log2(x+1) bits
  • and many other possibilities

Likes .Scott
mfb said:
I'm not aware of any computer system which stores 4 as "100" either. 00000100 and similar - sure, and you cannot drop a leading 1 here because there is none. But a storage format that uses exactly the number of bits it needs (plus one)?
There are many formats that compress all needed data down to only a few bytes, I've run across them mostly when doing serial communications. They try to pack as much information as possible in those bits.

The computer will align everything in terms of 8 bit blocks, but there is no reason that you actually need to use 8 bits in your code:
C:
struct packedStructure {
    unsigned int threeBits : 3;
};

int main(int, char**){
    packedStructure mybits;
    mybits.threebits = 4;  //Okay
    mybits.threebits = 8;  //Compile with -Wall and this will warn you of an overflow
    return 0;
}

Mark44 said:
The Borland C/C++ compiler back in the early 90's had an 80-bit long double type based on this format. The Microsoft compilers never did, to the best of my knowledge.
Most if not all 16 bit Microsoft compilers supported 80 bit long doubles. This was dropped in 32 bit and 64 bit Microsoft compilers, and long double is now treated the same as double (64 bits).

rcgldr said:
Most if not all 16 bit Microsoft compilers supported 80 bit long doubles. This was dropped in 32 bit and 64 bit Microsoft compilers, and long double is now treated the same as double (64 bits).

That has never been true, the latest VS compilers from 2015 still supports 80 bit floating point and often still default to it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9cx8xs15.aspx

glappkaeft said:
That has never been true, the latest VS compilers from 2015 still supports 80 bit floating point and often still default to it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9cx8xs15.aspx
Did you read the page you linked to? From that page:
Previous 16-bit versions of Microsoft C/C++ and Microsoft Visual C++ supported the long double, 80-bit precision data type. In Win32 programming, however, the long double data type maps to the double, 64-bit precision data type.
Per the quote from the MSDN page whose link you provided, Microsoft compilers do not support 80-bit floating point numbers. You can declare a variable of type long double, but that's equivalent to declaring it double; i.e., 64-bit floating point.

WOW -- talk about noise.

It's pretty simple really:

You can represent 4 values with 2 bits. 0,1,2,3 or 1 2 3 4 or 1 0 -1 -2. or 13, 17, 21, 77. Call them whatever you want. It's 4 unique values of your choosing.
Or you can say that 2 bits can be arranged in 4 different ways.
If you want to represent 5 values, then you need 2.321 bits, but fractional bits are difficult to implement, so you round up to 3

The original formula is correct if you round up, and are speaking of the number of values, not some arbitrary specific value.

glappkaeft said:
The point most people participating in the thread should remember is that the Shannon information theorem does not consider the value of the largest number you want to represent but instead only the number of symbols you want to represent.

Thus
  • x = some number uses is {x} thus log2(1) bits
  • {1, 2, ..., x} uses log2(x) bits
  • {0, 1, ..., x} uses log2(x+1) bits
  • and many other possibilities
In the spirit of "you know what I mean", the answer is one of these:

[itex]x = some\_unsigned\_number[/itex]
[itex]bits(x)= \frac{log(x+1)}{log(2)}, rounded\ up[/itex] except that bits(0) should probably be defined as 1

or

[itex]x_p = some\_signed\_positive\_number[/itex]
[itex]bits(x_p)= 1+\frac{log(x_p+1)}{log(2)}, rounded\ up[/itex]
[itex]x_n = some\_signed\_negative\_number[/itex]
[itex]bits(x_n)= 1+\frac{log(-x_n)}{log(2)}, rounded\ up[/itex]

However, taking your question literally, as glappkaeft has done, the required number of bits is determined by the number of symbols. So:

[itex]x_s = number\_of\_distinctive\_symbols[/itex]
[itex]bits(x_s)= \frac{log(x_s)}{log(2)}, rounded\ up[/itex]

Here are some examples:
Number of bits to encode the unsigned value of 4: 3; "100".
Number of bits to encode the signed value of 4: 4; "0100".
Number of bits to encode -4: 3; "100".
Number of bits to encode the current season: 2; Spring, Summer, Fall, or Winter
Number of bit to encode whether x is equal to 4: 1; true or false

mfb said:
The binary representation is 100. Who said we are limited to the binary representation? We can save bits with the following scheme, assuming we know where digits end:

1: ""
2: "0"
3: "1"
4: "00"
5: "01"
6: "10"
and so on.
The binary representation for every positive integer starts with a 1. If you are interested in saving bits, as the title suggests, you do not have to store this 1. Floating point numbers do exactly this: they just do not store the 1 because it would be fully redundant.
mfb said:
If we are playing this game, then the answer is always 0. Just use the null bit ""

Which number does it represent, and what about all the others?

Jarvis323 said:
If we are playing this game, then the answer is always 0. Just use the null bit ""
If it is given that already know it's a four, then you don't need to store that information. You see that with optimizing compilers - they'll deal with the "4" at compile time and no "4" will exist in the actual executable code. For example, with "float area=4*3.14159*(radius*radius);", don't expect to see a four in the executable code.

mfb said:
Which number does it represent, and what about all the others?
Depends on what game we are playing. One game we could play is:

You pick a number. I tell you how many bits it takes to represent that number. You can then choose either to produce a coding scheme that takes fewer bits to encode that number (if you can do so, you win, if you cannot, you lose) or challenge me to produce a coding scheme that takes that number of bits or fewer (if I can do so, I win, if I cannot, I lose).

The representations of numbers not picked by you do not affect the results of this game. The obvious choice is for me to always respond with "zero bits" and produce a coding scheme that associates your number with the only message in a space of one message.

It takes zero bits to select one possibility from a set of one possibility.

Last edited:
There are two subjects being discussed, and confused.
1. How many bits to represent a quantity of symbols
2. How to code numbers in binary.

Maybe my wording is not precise, but how many symbols one might use, and what people decide the symbols represent are, for the most part, orthogonal concepts.

For example, let's design a 3 bit binary coding system using 8 symbols to represent 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7.
Let's design a 3 bit binary coding system using 8 symbols to represent -4, -3, -2, -1 0, 1, 2, 3.

What people decide to have each symbol represent defines the coding system. (For example, unsigned, sign-mag, and 2's comp are commonly accepted methodologies, but one can define anything)

1. How is the number of bits calculated for a given number?

The number of bits needed to represent a number is calculated by taking the logarithm base 2 of the number and rounding up to the nearest whole number. For example, to represent the number 10, we would need log210 = 3.32 bits, which would round up to 4 bits.

2. What is the relationship between the number of bits and the range of numbers that can be represented?

The number of bits determines the range of numbers that can be represented. For example, with 4 bits, we can represent 24 = 16 different numbers, ranging from 0 to 15.

3. Can any number be represented with a finite number of bits?

No, not all numbers can be represented with a finite number of bits. This is because some numbers, such as irrational numbers, have an infinite number of decimal places and cannot be accurately represented with a finite number of bits.

4. How does the number of bits affect the precision of a number?

The number of bits directly affects the precision of a number. The more bits used to represent a number, the more precise the number can be. For example, with 4 bits, we can only represent whole numbers from 0 to 15, but with 8 bits, we can represent numbers with decimal places up to 255.

5. What is the maximum number that can be represented with a given number of bits?

The maximum number that can be represented with a given number of bits is 2n - 1, where n is the number of bits. For example, with 8 bits, the maximum number that can be represented is 28 - 1 = 255.