Number of elements and subgroups

• MHB
  • Thread starter kalish1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a group $G$ with $|G|=150$ and a non-normal subgroup $H$ with $|H|=25$. The question asked how many elements of order 5 and 25 $G$ has. Through a series of steps, it was determined that $G$ does not exist and therefore the answer to both questions is 0.
kalish1
I have a question that I feel I am going about in a roundabout way, and would like some help on. I am preparing for an exam.

**Problem:** Let $G$ be a group with $|G|=150.$ Let $H$ be a non-normal subgroup in $G$ with $|H|=25$.

(a) How many elements of order 5 does $G$ have?

(b) How many elements of order 25 does $G$ have?

**My attempt:**

$G$ has 6 subgroups of order 25 because the number of subgroups of order 25 has to divide $150/25=6$ and $6 \cong 1 (\mod 5)$. So there are 6 such subgroups: $\{H_1,H_2,H_3,H_4,H_5,H_6\}$. Let $G$ act on this set by conjugation. The permutation representation of the group action of conjugation on this set is $\phi:G \rightarrow S_6$, and $|S_6|=720$. Also, $|\ker(\phi)||im(\phi)|=150$. Because $|im(\phi)|$ has at most one factor of $5$, $5$ divides $|\ker(\phi)|$. Suppose $25$ divides $|\ker(\phi)|$. Then $\ker(\phi)$ has a Sylow 5-subgroup $H_i$. So $H_i \subset \ker(\phi) \implies aH_ia^{-1} \subset a(\ker(\phi))a^{-1} = \ker(\phi)$. By the Second Sylow Theorem, $H_1 \cup \ldots \cup H_6 \subset \ker(\phi) \implies G = \ker(\phi) \implies \phi$ trivial. So $\ker(\phi)$ has a subgroup $K$ with $|K|=5$. So for some $H_i, \ker(\phi) \cap H_i=K \implies a(\ker(\phi))a^{-1} \cap aH_ia^{-1} = aKa^{-1}$

What next? Surely this shouldn't be so long-winded.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an interesting problem.

I think you have established that $G$ contains a non-trivial normal subgroup. Now let's consider the orbit-stabilizer theorem in light of this:

We have, for $x \in \{H_1,H_2,H_3,H_4,H_5,H_6\}$:

$|G| = |Gx|\ast|\text{Stab}(x)|$

Since this action is transitive (any sylow 5-subgroup is some conjugate of $H_1$, for example) we have $|Gx| = 6$, which means that $|\text{Stab}(x)| = 25$.

Since $H_i \subseteq \text{Stab}(H_i)$, it is clear that these sylow 5-subgroups are indeed their own stabilizers under the action.

Thus the kernel of the action is the intersection of all the stabilizers, which means that:

$|\text{ker}(\phi)| = 5$.

This tells us that $|\phi(G)| = 150/5 = 30$.

Now any group of order 30 has a normal sylow 5-subgroup, which means that the pre-image of that subgroup (under $\phi$) is a normal subgroup containing $\text{ker}(\phi)$. But such a pre-image is a group of order 25 in $G$, which contradicts the non-normality of any 5-sylow subgroup in $G$.

Hence $G$ does not exist, and the answer to (a) and (b) is: 0.

Related to Number of elements and subgroups

1. How do you determine the number of elements in a group?

The number of elements in a group can be determined by counting all the distinct elements within the group. This can be done by listing out all the elements and removing any duplicates.

2. What is the difference between the number of elements and the number of subgroups in a group?

The number of elements in a group refers to the total number of distinct elements within the group, while the number of subgroups refers to the number of smaller groups that can be formed within the original group. Subgroups are formed by taking a subset of elements from the original group and following the group operation on those elements.

3. Can the number of elements in a group be infinite?

Yes, a group can have an infinite number of elements. For example, the group of real numbers under addition has an infinite number of elements.

4. How is the number of subgroups related to the number of elements in a group?

The number of subgroups in a group is related to the number of elements in a group through Lagrange's theorem. This theorem states that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the original group. Therefore, the number of subgroups in a group is always a factor of the number of elements in the group.

5. How can the number of elements and subgroups in a group be used to classify groups?

The number of elements and subgroups in a group can be used to classify groups into finite and infinite groups. Finite groups have a finite number of elements and subgroups, while infinite groups have an infinite number of elements and subgroups. Additionally, the number of subgroups can also be used to classify groups into simple and non-simple groups, with simple groups having a limited number of subgroups.