Number of Images Formed from Reflection & Refraction

In summary, a glass slab of refractive index n=2 with a left spherical surface of radius 10cm and a right surface plane will produce multiple images when an object P is placed 15cm away from point O1. The correct option would be (A) two images seen by observer E1.
Hydrous Caperilla

Homework Statement

[/B]
A glass slab of refractive index n=2 has left spherical of radius 10cm and right surface plane.From both surfaces refraction as well as reflection takes place.A point of object P is placed at a distance 15cm from point O1.

Mark the correct option

(A)two images are seen by observed E1
(B)Only one image is seen by observer E2
(C)No images are seen by observed E1
(D)No images are seen by observed E2

Homework Equations

[/B]
None

The Attempt at a Solution

I could think of three cases

(1 ) First the object P will get refracted directly from the left spherical surface .Image no 1
(2) The object P will get reflected from the right surface plane.Image no 2
(3) The object P will get refracted from left spherical surface and then normal plane.Image no 3

So I am getting 3 images which is not in the option.Can anybody tell me what is my mistake

Attachments

• 20180418_193224.jpg
    20180418_193224.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 364
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
With the geometry you'll have a hard time seeing (3), but yes, in principle it should be there. You can continue that with more reflections, but the intensity will drop quickly and the image will get more and more distorted.

So is my attempt correct

Yes, but I think "two images" is not too wrong as answer.

Likes Hydrous Caperilla

What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection is the bouncing back of light rays when they hit a smooth surface, while refraction is the bending of light rays when they pass through a medium with a different density.

How many images can be formed from reflection?

In most cases, only one image is formed from reflection. However, in certain scenarios such as multiple reflections between two parallel mirrors or curved surfaces, multiple images can be formed.

How many images can be formed from refraction?

The number of images formed from refraction depends on the shape and orientation of the object and the medium it is passing through. In general, only one image is formed from refraction, but complex shapes and multiple mediums can result in multiple images.

What is the formula for calculating the number of images formed from reflection?

The formula for calculating the number of images formed from reflection is n = (360 degrees / angle of incidence) - 1, where n is the number of images formed. This formula only applies to regular polygons and assumes perfect reflection.

How does the angle of incidence affect the number of images formed from refraction?

The angle of incidence does not directly affect the number of images formed from refraction. However, it can influence the shape and orientation of the object, which can ultimately impact the number of images formed from refraction.