Number of individual states with the same occupation numbers

In summary: So your equation is only valid for bosonic particles; for fermions you need to use the more general idea of Slater determinants.3) Are you trying to solve for the number of states with the same set of occupation numbers? If so, the equation you have is correct. The only issue with your approach is that you're using particle numbers and not occupation numbers in your equation. So you would need to convert the number of particles in each state to the corresponding occupation numbers.In summary, the number of states with the same set of occupation numbers is given by the combinatorial factor $$\frac{N!}{n_1!n_2! \dots n_k! \dots}$$ where N is the total number of
WeiShan Ng

Homework Statement

A state of a system of many noninteracting particles can be specified by listing which particle is in which of the accessible single particle states. In each microscopic state we can identify the number of particles in a given single particle state ##k##. This number is called the occupation number, of state k and is denoted by ##n_k##.
How many individual microscopic states have the same set of occupation numbers ##n_k##?

Homework Equations

Solution given:
The number of states with the same set of ##n_k## is the number of ways the N particles can be distributed in groups of ##n_k## each. It is the combinatorial factor that expresses the fact that all N particles can be interchanged, but interchanges of particles within each group do not produce new states. Hence the number is
$$\frac{N!}{n_1!n_2! \dots n_k! \dots}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried using this equation to see if I can find the correct answer. I took a system of ##N=13## particles
$$
\begin{array}{|c|c|c|c|c|c|}
\hline
k & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 \\
n_k & 3 & 2 & 1 & 4 & 3 \\
\hline
\end{array}
$$
where ##k## are the individual microscopic states and ##n_k## is their occupation numbers respectively
And when I applied the equation, I get
$$\frac{13!}{3!2!1!4!}=21621600$$ which is so far off from the number expected (2)
I must have understand the equation wrong. Can someone please explain to me how exactly does this equation work?

Physics news on Phys.org
So a couple of things:

1) I'm not sure about your problem statement. You say that [itex] k[/itex] is the number of particles in a given state. This should be [itex] n_k[/itex]. In occupation number representation the number operator [itex] n_k[/itex] returns the number of particles in the [itex] k^{th}[/itex] momentum state.

2) Are you using bosonic particles or fermionic particles? Because the statistics change depending on which; for example you can have two fermions in a state (spin up and down), and exchanging them is non trivial and creates a different wave function. For bosonic particles you can have infinitely many in a state (infinite dimensional Hilbert space) and swapping them leaves the wavefunction unchanged.

What does "Number of individual states with the same occupation numbers" refer to?

The "Number of individual states with the same occupation numbers" refers to the number of unique ways that a set of occupation numbers can be distributed among a group of individuals. This concept is often used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of particles in a physical system.

Why is it important to calculate the number of individual states with the same occupation numbers?

Calculating the number of individual states with the same occupation numbers allows us to understand the probability of a particular distribution of particles in a physical system. This information can help us make predictions about the behavior of the system and better understand its properties.

How is the number of individual states with the same occupation numbers calculated?

The number of individual states with the same occupation numbers can be calculated using the formula for combinations. This formula takes into account the total number of particles, the number of particles in each occupation state, and the number of possible ways to arrange these particles.

What factors can affect the number of individual states with the same occupation numbers?

The number of individual states with the same occupation numbers can be affected by the total number of particles, the number of available occupation states, and the number of particles in each occupation state. Other factors such as temperature and external forces can also impact the distribution of particles and therefore affect the number of individual states.

How does the concept of "Number of individual states with the same occupation numbers" relate to entropy?

The concept of "Number of individual states with the same occupation numbers" is closely related to entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In statistical mechanics, entropy is often linked to the number of possible ways that particles can be distributed among different states. The higher the number of individual states with the same occupation numbers, the higher the entropy of the system.