Number of oscillations executed by an object to be in phase

In summary, the Turntable is rotating at 36.25 rpm. The simple pendulum is performing SHM at 36.00 prm. The Pendulum will execute 144 oscillations in order for both to be in phase.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

the turntable is rotating at 36.25 rpm. the simple pendulum is performing SHM at 36.00 prm. how many complete oscillations would the pendulum execute so that both are in phase?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my working is 36prm divided by 0.25 rpm =144 oscillations. i just 'simply' work out the answer. and the answer is same with the sample answer coincidently. but i don't understand it. can someone explain please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing it.

here's the image

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 337
No I meant draw two appropriate sine waves on the same axis.

The assumption is that they're in phase to begin with, the question is how long before they're in phase again.

You obviously need an integer number of periods of each oscillation.

Turntable's period is T1. Pendulum's period is T2. T2 > T1 here.

Let n1 = number of rotations of the turntable and n2 = no. of pendulum swings. So n1 and n2 are integers

So n1*T1 = n2*T2
but also n1 = n2 + 1 (we want the first time the two are in sync again).
So solve for n2.

You can substitute f1 = 1/T1 and f2 = 1/T2 where f1 = 36.25 rpm and f2 = 36 rpm.

what do you mean by n2=n1 +1 ? I can't understand

desmond iking said:
what do you mean by n2=n1 +1 ? I can't understand

I defined that. And I said n1 = n2 + 1, not what you quoted.

Think of two sets of domino tiles. One set of dominos has length T1, the other has length T2, where T1 = 1/f1 and T2 = 1/f2 and the T2 tiles are larger than the T1 tiles.

Now start laying the T1 tiles in a row adjacent to a second row of T2 tiles. The two rows are lined up at the start.

When the rows line up again there are 1 more T1 tiles than T2 tiles. So n1 = n2 + 1. n1 is the number of T1 tiles and n2 is the number of T2 tiles.

desmond iking said:
the turntable is rotating at 36.25 rpm. the simple pendulum is performing SHM at 36.00 prm. how many complete oscillations would the pendulum execute so that both are in phase?
Work out the lowest common multiple of 36.25 and 36, and from that you will get your answer.

Okay, okay, to appease the mathematicians :smile: I'll rephrase that. First, find the LCM of 3625 and 3600. (Then you'll divide that answer by 100.)

Mathematically, you can write it this way ...

There exists an integer M such that it is simultaneously a multiple of 3600 and of 3625, i.e.,

M = 3600*x = 3625*y

Find the smallest integers x and y that make the equality in blue true, and integer.

Can you do that? Show your working.

Last edited:
nascentoxygen said:
work out the lowest common multiple of 36.25 and 36, and from that you will get your answer.

Okay, okay, to appease the mathematicians :smile: I'll rephrase that. First, find the lcm of 3625 and 3600. (then you'll divide that answer by 100.)

mathematically, you can write it this way ...

There exists an integer m such that it is simultaneously a multiple of 3600 and of 3625, i.e.,

m = 3600*x = 3625*y

find the smallest integers x and y that make the equality in blue true, and integer.

Can you do that? Show your working.

3600- 3600,7200,10800, 522000
3625- 3625, 7250, 10875, 522000

how can this relate to the question?

desmond iking said:
3600- 3600,7200,10800, 522000
3625- 3625, 7250, 10875, 522000

how can this relate to the question?
Therefore, the values of x and y are ...?

nascentoxygen said:
therefore, the values of x and y are ...?

But the 52200 doesn't comply with the ans

desmond iking said:
But the 52200 doesn't comply with the ans

x=145, y=144

desmond iking said:
x=145, y=144

http://imageshack.com/a/img29/6853/xn4n.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Then wat does it mean? O:)

Related to Number of oscillations executed by an object to be in phase

1. What is the definition of "phase" in relation to oscillations?

Phase refers to the position of an oscillating object in its cycle at a specific point in time. It is usually measured in degrees or radians and indicates where the object is in relation to its starting position.

2. How is the number of oscillations executed by an object related to its phase?

The number of oscillations executed by an object is directly related to its phase. The phase of an object determines how many cycles it has completed, with a full cycle being equal to 360 degrees or 2π radians.

3. Can an object be in phase if it has not completed a full cycle?

Yes, an object can be in phase even if it has not completed a full cycle. As long as the object is at the same point in its cycle as another object, they are considered to be in phase.

4. How can the number of oscillations executed by an object be measured?

The number of oscillations executed by an object can be measured by counting the number of times the object completes a full cycle. This can be done manually or using tools such as a stopwatch or motion sensor.

5. What factors can affect the number of oscillations executed by an object to be in phase?

The number of oscillations executed by an object to be in phase can be affected by factors such as the object's mass, amplitude, and the presence of external forces like friction. These factors can alter the object's frequency and therefore change the number of oscillations it completes in a given amount of time.